CT Scan - there are issues

Go to a movie. Walk around a mall. Do something to distract yourself. If you have Ativan, take some. It looks to me (lots of letters after my name, none of them MD) like the odds are:
  • You have an ileus* - your bowel is taking a while to wake up around the section that was operated on - completely normal. There was contrast distal to the segment that isn't moving quickly, so there isn't an obstruction.
  • WAY more likely than not, you have a benign seroma that will dissipate on its own over time - very common after surgery.
  • The kidney stuff is pretty common too, and not causing current issues. MANY people (self included) have benign kidney cysts - just something to keep an eye on over time. In particular, re the angiomyolipoma: "Angiomyolipomas are the most common benign tumour of the kidney and are found either in patients with tuberous sclerosis or sporadically. About 80–90% of cases are sporadic and these are most commonly found in middle-aged women."
* Ileus (/ˈɪliəs/; from Greek εἰλεός eileós, "intestinal obstruction") is a disruption of the normal propulsive ability of the gastrointestinal tract. Although ileus originally referred to any lack of digestive propulsion, including any bowel obstruction,[1][2]up-to-date medical usage restricts its meaning to those disruptions caused by the failure of peristalsis, rather than by mechanical obstruction.

Try to relax - easier said than done, but distraction is a good way, as are drugs.

worry-quote1.jpg

I love you Diana!
Driving to your house for Ativan!!!! :) On the day of my mom's funeral my father decided to calm his nerves with a few Ativan. We had to practically carry him into the funeral home. Since then my brother and I renamed it Dadivan. We're Irish and twisted so we find this very funny.
Ironically I gave my husband a tile of that same quote for his birthday 2 years ago. He is the ultimate worrier.

Dr Rabkin just called me to check up on me. He said to stay hydrated and do what feels ok to me. I get all nervous and babbling when I talk to him. If I hadn't had the scan I wouldn't have even known about all this shit so I'm trying to remain calm and not let the report play tricks on my mind.

I love you Diana!

OMG!!....OK, somebody FINALLY said what I've been wanting to say for over 5 months now but didnt wanna be all gooooey or taken the wrong way! DC Rocks and so does, SL, Larra, EN, J 1 & 2 and many others on this site. I went back and just read some of my first posts and told her something similar when I first came on here. I have always been a good judge of people and I say what I mean and mean what I say :D

OMG!!....OK, somebody FINALLY said what I've been wanting to say for over 5 months now but didnt wanna be all gooooey or taken the wrong way! DC Rocks and so does, SL, Larra, EN, J 1 & 2 and many others on this site. I went back and just read some of my first posts and told her something similar when I first came on here. I have always been a good jusge of people and I say what I mean and mean what I say :D

I agree. There are people here worth their (former) weight in gold. They can be tough on you when you need it and a soft place to land when you need that, too. They've talked many people off a ledge when they needed it most. I have the pleasure of knowing Diana and Larra in person so I consider myself even luckier. They were very helpful to me as a pre-op and Diana was the first person to help my husband thru his own fears about me having surgery. I've met Southern Lady and Kirmy, too!!! I love the collective wisdom and the selflessness that we get here. Welcome to the family robs477!

Scary stuff that's for sure. I'm glad you advocated for yourself and got the scan. It might not give your peace of mind right now but at least some answers are coming soon.

I saw Dr Rabkin yesterday. I had my hospital bag packed and my jewelry off just in case. While I was in the waiting area I saw a guy (looking very pale and sullen) go in one of the exam rooms. I heard Dr Rabkin talking to him and then he told one of his staff to get a wheelchair and take him thru ER. He told another staff member to call the ER and something about a bowel obstruction. I felt sick.
Of course when he came in to see me I kept thinking about that guy and not wanting to take up Dr Rabkin's time. Such a co-dependent!!! He looked at my CT Scan and said that the only thing he was mildly concerned about (expressed by holding his forefinger and thumb about an inch apart - I define that as mildly) is the partial obstruction. He showed it to me on the computer. The fluid is actually below my incision and is not causing me any issues that I feel. It is the dilated bowel that is above my incision causing me the discomfort. He doesn't know why I have this issue.
He said he might send me for another CT scan in a few weeks but right now I have no concerning symptoms so just wait and see. Of course, I was relieved. After a few hours being home I start worrying again. Naturally I hope this goes away completely because I can feel my food digesting. It hurts in that area as the food passes thru slowly and causing my stomach to distend. I sit there wondering if the discomfort and pangs will turn into the same pain I felt before surgery. It makes me anxious before I eat and yet, I want to turn to food for the emotional comfort I have always thought it brought me. Dr Rabkin can't provide me with what I really want which is a guarantee of total recovery and a date for that.
Last night I closed my eyes, touched my stomach, and tried to imagine my body healing itself. After I was done I also said to myself that even if I live with this going forward that I'm not the only person to have chronic health issues. There are people living with pain every day and that's life. Like my medical office working mom used to say "I'll show you people with REAL problems, Cathy". If I have surgery, I'll deal with that also. Thanks for being with me on this crazy journey.

Sounds like your on the right track and doing all you can, all the right things. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and my well wishes!

I had issues with partial obstructions, and things kept changing for quite a while. My surgeon kept doing scans, then waiting.

My best friend was soup. When things were moving, but somewhat backed up, staying on liquids for a while helped clear things out. My favorites were egg drop soup, squash soup, and peanut butter soup. It may just clear things up and give you enough time to finish healing. Hang in there.

I had issues with partial obstructions, and things kept changing for quite a while. My surgeon kept doing scans, then waiting.

My best friend was soup. When things were moving, but somewhat backed up, staying on liquids for a while helped clear things out. My favorites were egg drop soup, squash soup, and peanut butter soup. It may just clear things up and give you enough time to finish healing. Hang in there.

Did you ever get to a point that you stopped having issues with it?
I was just reading an article on the popularity of bone soup and how it has healing properties and needed minerals. This would be a good time to make some. I don't like vegetables but found that if I use them for the soup flavor and then puree them and put them back in the stock it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for the suggestion!

plus it's a good time of year for soup, if it's cold where you are.

anyway, could be a lot worse it sounds like. I hope things continue to be non critical.

Did you ever get to a point that you stopped having issues with it?
I was just reading an article on the popularity of bone soup and how it has healing properties and needed minerals. This would be a good time to make some. I don't like vegetables but found that if I use them for the soup flavor and then puree them and put them back in the stock it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for the suggestion!
I had intermittent and partial blockages that usually cleared, but they were caused by adhesions and became more frequent and more severe until I had to have some adhesions taken down. That is not a certainty though, as plenty of folks have some sort of blockage and it resolves. The only thing is, you want your doctor on board as they can be life threatening, so even if it's minor and may never be an issue again, make sure anything scary has been ruled out. I hope you feel soon.

Latest posts

Back