Chocolate!!!!

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
I am day 7 post op, crapband revision to DS and still on clears. I'm freakin starving and one of my greatest loves is chocolate. Not the cheap crap either, but the good stuff and with valentines around the corner it's every freakin were. I can't stand it. I was wondering what the general experiences have been with chocolate? Im assuming with all that sugar your gonna poop your brains out?? But I live in hope. But I've already decided, even if I have to, come next valentines im gonna stay home alone and eat a whole box of Godiva with my pants off!!!!

Chocolate is not a solid at body temp. So, up to you.

And yes, I remember the days of buying a single open oyster and savoring the exquisite flavor.

Chocolate does nothing bad to me. I loved it before and still do.

Chocolate causes me no issues unless I eat too much. That being said I didn't crave sweets for quite awhile after surgery... Now I eat too much of sweets as I love pastry, doughnuts, cake and the like. It will cause the shits and bad bloating if you have too much and obviously you shoukd stay away from sweets unless you are getting 30 grams of carbs at each of your 5 or 6 meals a day.. Protein first!

I adore dark chocolate...

But remember, this is just ONE Valentine's Day...be easy on your guts while they are still healing. TRY to ignore it this year, there are far more ahead.

I love chocolate, but became lactose-intolerant post DS and would advise that Hershey's chocolate changed their recipes a few years ago to add lactose to their candy, possibly as inexpensive sweetener or potentially as part of an evil conspiracy to keep it out of my grasp.

I look for fair trade / organic chocolates to avoid the added lactose (and also to limit the possibility the cocoa was harvested by forced child laborers as I understand is sadly the case for many major brands.)

Last edited:
I would also say you may be disappointed. I used to LOVE chocolate, like it made sex with my soul kind of love. Even post sleeve that love was alive. But post DS, its not the same at all. And it's not for lack of trying to force that love lol. I have had chocolate...the good stuff: See's, posh cadbury's etc...and it just doesn't hit the spot. I end up overeating the crap seeking the gold pot at the end of the rainbow as I remember how awesome it used to be. Not anymore. I give up and realise the experience will never be the same for me. :)

Just don't be shocked when it isn't as satisfying as it used to be.

I would also say you may be disappointed. I used to LOVE chocolate, like it made sex with my soul kind of love. Even post sleeve that love was alive. But post DS, its not the same at all. And it's not for lack of trying to force that love lol. I have had chocolate...the good stuff: See's, posh cadbury's etc...and it just doesn't hit the spot. I end up overeating the crap seeking the gold pot at the end of the rainbow as I remember how awesome it used to be. Not anymore. I give up and realise the experience will never be the same for me. :)

Just don't be shocked when it isn't as satisfying as it used to be.

It's weird... I don't even LIKE chocolate much anymore. Just the thought makes me a bit queasy. Maybe it's a mind thing or maybe my body really is rejecting it, but it just isn't any fun any more. I had the same thing happen with ice cream pre-op and that was totally a mind thing so IDK...

I say GO FOR IT!! You should, NEED to give yourself a treat every once in a while. Even at eight days out, sucking on a piece of chocolate or two, especially at valentines day will do you more good, (mentally), and IMHO, far outweighs any potential biological detriments which I think would be minimal.

Love it > Eat it > Poop it.

sometimes I wish we could like something more than once. :) At 8 days post op I would have hurled with anything similar to chocolate. I agree with @southernlady - it is only 1 day and you sure don't want to trigger something in your guts. 8 days is barely enough time to have the beginning of healing.

Haven't touched the stuff. No way I'm upsetting my newly acquired plumbing. I'll deal with a chocolate flavor protein shake.. 9 days post op I am. Sorry. I jumped ahead. I added skim milk today. I just needed something new. It's allowed from day 10 so I only slightly jumped the gun.

Latest posts

Back