Cabbage Casserole

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
Don't let the word cabbage turn you off. It doesn't taste like cabbage. My best thought is it kind of tastes like baked ziti. Honest. I am not lying here! I got the idea when we saw stuffed cabbages at a buffet and the seasoning was all out Italian and they even had melted mozz on top. They were really good but they did have rice in them and stuffed cabbages are a PITA to make. So I came up with an easy way to do it! Keep in mind I cook in bulk so this makes a lot. More than 1 9x13 casserole dish. People who don't like cabbage like this stuff!

Chunk 5 lbs of ground beef in a pot. While it's cooking, add some oregano, garlic, fennel seeds, bay leaf, pepper, and a cube of tomato bullion. I added a few drops of Worcestershire too. After it's done, drain and set aside.

Chop up 1 onion and a medium head of cabbage. I tried to get the cabbage in about 1in square pieces. Not huge but not shredded either. Dump all of this in the pot. The volume will go down a lot as it cooks and when you have room for the ground beef, put it back in the pot and stir it all up.

Then add a jar of red sauce. Whatever kind you like or make your own. Mix and taste. Adjust the seasonings. Spray your casserole dishes with nonstick stuff and put the mixture in the dishes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. While it's baking slice up a pound of mozz. When the 30 minutes are up put the cheese on top and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes. Done!

This will make about 8 decent size meals. Now that I sit and think about this I bet you could change the seasonings and make a great Mexican dish too. With salsa and enchilada sauce! That's next!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back