Binder/Compression Garment Questions

GrammyLuLu

I am a little over a week away from my revision surgery and I have caught wind of some using a "binder" after surgery. Is this something you get at the hospital, does each Dr have thier own feelings about using one or not, are they useful?
I will be flying in and out of SLC for my surgery and have been advised to get compression socks I am looking for any brand suggestions.
Any info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

They gave me one at Kaiser. Just standard issue abdominal wrap. I think it had three or four panels. I'm sure your hospital will have them. Wore it for a few days. Guess it's supposed to keep your recently sewn parts nice and snug so you don't tear anything. Wore mine for a few days. Didn't notice much difference.

Compression socks are a good idea for anyone flying. They don't need to be special or expensive. Whatever is on sale that fits should be fine.

I woke up wearing a binder in the hospital. I wore it while there and one day while home.
I got a nasty rash from the damn thing. Took it off and threw it away, hated it.

A friend ended up with some tissue necrosis...ugly patches of dead skin. If it feels too tight, it just might be too tight.

When I had my RnY 14 yrs ago I had little pain but it felt like my insides were going to fall out. No Binder then. So I guess a binder is optional? Definitely bought compression socks for the plane ride home!

I had revision Surgery with DrKeshishian. I woke up with the binder. I loved it. This was my first open abdominal surgery. Held everything nice and tight. I actually wore it for 4 months. When it wrapped around me twice it was time to toss it. I did not wear it continuously. But always when I was up and walking around. I was very paranoid about developing a hernia.
I would recommend you inquire prior to surgery as it may not be standard. Better to have it and not use it then need it and not have it.

Good luck on your surgery

I woke up with a binder after open surgery. I liked the comfort of the "hug" it gave me. I wore it while walking for the first maybe month. It seems doctors have their own preference.
good luck

I've had binders after some abdominal surgery, but not my DS. If you use one, I recommend getting a soft t-shirt you don't mind trashing and wearing it underneath the binder. Binders are washable, but not as easily as clothes, and you can't wash a binder multiple times a day, or however many times you need to change dressings or whatever from seepage (sorry if gross). If you have a few soft absorbent shirts that can be worn against the skin, underneath the binder, too alternate if some blood or fluid gets past the dressing, much easier to toss that into a super hot wash and swap out for another, rather than constantly be without the binder.

My binder was somewhat "hard" fabrid, not at all soft, and not at all absorbent. The top of the binder hit me right under the bra line, and made a sore area (like I didn't have enough on my belly where skin had actually been cut open). After you are healed enough to not need it, the shirts will have some blood / seepage staining, and will likely have been bleached as well, so make sure you use ones that you'll be OK tossing.

Compression socks are good on a flight, and snug tights, even if they have to go over the compression socks, are good too.

Latest posts

Back