Which surgery to get

Here’s whyI THINK I need it:
Apparently, I cannot stick to a Low FODMAP routine…which involves leaving a three hour “space” between meals. I suppose that’s because my stomach just gets too full, too soon, on too little food and then I’m hungry again. And I eat again. ......

Spiky, if stomach transit time is the problem, there are foods that delay gastric emptying, I think it's those foods that contain soluble fiber. I am not sure if they are low FODMAP or not

Maybe there is a med that delays gastric emptying ? Worth asking your GI doc

Calcium binds food, so does iron.
Concerning your PTH, raising your calcium helped but getting your D up to between 80-100 works as well.

But what does caffeine have to do with the DS? I was never warned about it. I’m at a loss as to why people are discussing stopping caffeine.
It really doesn’t except in terms of the killer headache because of having to avoid it for surgery for about 24 hours.

However, for some reason, surgeons and nutritionists INSIST caffeine dehydrates when it’s been proven it doesn’t. That myth has been busted every which way but they insist on spreading it. It IS a mild diuretic and a study in 1922 confused the two.

Anecdotal, one of the most informed commentators on this site had to leave early for surgery one morning. If any had a handle on post DS BM (years afterwards), she would. Did she share her concerns with the danger of surgery or anesthesia. Nope.. she was worried about diarrhea on the morning car trip over. One of the helpful suggestions was wear a diaper. Maybe you'll find the post
Firewife204, this is the post he mentioned https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/annual-labs-and-dexa-scan.1531/#post-2166
Diana did not mention using a diaper or packing extra clothes. Turns out, she was fine.

But what does caffeine have to do with the DS? I was never warned about it. I’m at a loss as to why people are discussing stopping caffeine.

I can only speak about my experience, but my surgeon's office said that caffeine can have an effect on wound healing. If this is actually true and what the exact amounts of caffeine are potentially harmful are, I have no idea. Since we were allowed to have decaf coffee and teas, which still contain small amounts of caffeine, I doubt the veracity of the claims, but I still jumped through the hoops to get to the surgery. I've had numerous other surgeries and never had to stop caffeine, but I'm not a scientist. I don't avoid caffeine anymore, except at night because I really like sleeping.

I've had numerous other surgeries and never had to stop caffeine, but I'm not a scientist. I don't avoid caffeine anymore, except at night because I really like sleeping.
Me either. I tend to stop drinking anything with caffeine about noontime. One of my post DS surgeries, I actually asked if they could give me caffeine via IV, LOL. they did give me a medication in the IV for the headache.

I would think even decaf coffee (for sure) and maybe tea would be hard on a new post-op. I mean, tea makes me nauseated if I have it on an empty stomach and coffee is an GI tract irritant not even considering the caffeine.

anyway, I gave it up for surgery because otherwise I would have had a big headache and it was really, really hard.

I don't believe it's a diuretic: there have been times (not recently) when the ONLY liquid I've had is coffee and my pee never gets any darker.

Firewife204, this is the post he mentioned https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/annual-labs-and-dexa-scan.1531/#post-2166
Diana did not mention using a diaper or packing extra clothes. Turns out, she was fine.

You are right, all she was worried about was pooping herself.

"For some reason, fasting for more than 6-7 hours causes me to have diarrhea. The morning is not going to be fun - in particular, driving up to Palo Alto in the tail end of rush hour traffic, while trying to not poop myself. "

The helpful suggestion, by another poster, was immodium, not a diaper

"That's odd. Can you take an Imodium the night before?"

And the trip was not for surgery, the original post was to show others the labs and tests needed to be tracked post DS

Last edited:
Spiky

More on gastric emptying... IIRC, the glp agonists ( Byetta, wegovy, ozempic), all delay gastric emptying ... the adverse effects dont sound like much fun.. so meds, at least this kind, are probably not a good suggestion

"The GLP-1 agonists are associated with adverse gastrointestinal effects such as nausea, vomiting and delayed gastric emptying (see table). The effects on gastric emptying are reported to be reduced with long-term use. This is most likely through rapid tachyphylaxis at the level of vagal nerve activation."

Foods with soluble fiber, might be gentler

"Evidence has shown that soluble dietary fibre slows gastric emptying, increases perceived satiety and plays a significant role in appetite regulation"

OP... for a good review of DS by a practicing surgeon, the blogs of Dr keshishian are very informative and readable

So.... anyone have a clue why calcium might affect BM?

Calcium can reduce diarrhea. People who suffer from diarrhea have stools that are discharged from the bowels frequently and in a liquid form. Doctors think that the constipating effect of calcium may reduce water in the stool.

If you have not tried it, it might help. I take 4 to 5 pills of this one every day https://celebratevitamins.com/products/calcium-citrate-tablets It takes a week or two to really start working, but then, it kicks in

Last edited:
Spiky

More on gastric emptying... IIRC, the glp agonists ( Byetta, wegovy, ozempic), all delay gastric emptying ... the adverse effects dont sound like much fun.. so meds, at least this kind, are probably not a good suggestion

"The GLP-1 agonists are associated with adverse gastrointestinal effects such as nausea, vomiting and delayed gastric emptying (see table). The effects on gastric emptying are reported to be reduced with long-term use. This is most likely through rapid tachyphylaxis at the level of vagal nerve activation."

Foods with soluble fiber, might be gentler

"Evidence has shown that soluble dietary fibre slows gastric emptying, increases perceived satiety and plays a significant role in appetite regulation"

You are so well-informed on issues that baffle me!

A company called Casa de Sante, which does a lot a Low FODMAP stuff, apparently sells some digestive enzymes that help fight SIBO/IBS symptoms.

All I “know” about digestive enzymes is that they are something given to people—RnY types, too—who are losing too much weight. And there are products that help with lactose intolerance. (Mine came before the DS.) Since I eat TONS of cheese, I am very tired of taking lactase tablets all day and one brand, Bactose, has you take pills for a week and then not again until next month. That sounded good to me.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on which digestive enzymes to NOT TAKE because they will cause weight gain?

https://casadesante.com/collections/low-fodmap-digestive-enzymes

https://bactose.com/

You are so well-informed on issues that baffle me!

A company called Casa de Sante, which does a lot a Low FODMAP stuff, apparently sells some digestive enzymes that help fight SIBO/IBS symptoms.

All I “know” about digestive enzymes is that they are something given to people—RnY types, too—who are losing too much weight. And there are products that help with lactose intolerance. (Mine came before the DS.) Since I eat TONS of cheese, I am very tired of taking lactase tablets all day and one brand, Bactose, has you take pills for a week and then not again until next month. That sounded good to me.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions on which digestive enzymes to NOT TAKE because they will cause weight gain?

https://casadesante.com/collections/low-fodmap-digestive-enzymes

https://bactose.com/
Bactose did not cause weight gain for me. I actually was losing weight while on it. My issue with them was their inability to keep up with supply.

Latest posts

Back