Because it’s too quiet in here…

Spiky Bugger

…and because in only seven months, I will have lived three-quarters of a century…riddle me this:

when I grew up, all if the clothing UNDER your clothes was called underwear. T-shirts, undershirts, shirts, bras, panties aka underpants, camisoles, slips, etc were your UNDERWEAR.

A couple of decades ago, the words “panties” and “underpants” fell into disuse. Suddenly, that item was called “underwear.” (Very confusing when you go for a chest x-ray and some 20-something tells you to “take off everything except your underwear.”) Today, in a discussion of feminine hygiene products with an 11-year-old, I attempted to describe a funny story* involving the “sanitary napkins” of the bygone era. The 11-year-old said, “Oh, you mean panty liners!”

So how come they aren’t called “underwear liners?”

*I was eleven, my sister was nine. Family friends were visiting. That mom and my mom had been friends since kindergarten. They, their husbands and daughters aged 16 and 14, and their brother (he and I were born two hours apart) and I were in the living room. My sister was missing.

Suddenly, my sister charged into the living room, one hand full of “sanitary napkins” and the other waving the package with the torture device called a “belt.” You see, back then the good folks at Kotex made a Beginner’s Kit for young girls and it was gift wrapped. I’d had that in my dresser drawer since Mom and I had had “the talk.” My rotten sister was snooping around in MY dresser drawers, saw the gift wrapped package, opened it and demanded immediate answers…in a room with two moms, two dads, two teen girls, their brother who was my age, and me.

I may remind her of this tomorrow.

Your sister needs reminding :)

I don’t know, but just a few weeks ago, I was getting undressed for my endoscopy. The nurse said, you can leave on your underwear. I took that to mean I could leave on both my bra and panties. She comes back after I was in the gown, she says, oh you need to remove your bra…that’s not what I heard. I blamed it to regional differences. To her, underwear was just panties, to me, it was anything under my street clothes.

I don’t know, but just a few weeks ago, I was getting undressed for my endoscopy. The nurse said, you can leave on your underwear. I took that to mean I could leave on both my bra and panties. She comes back after I was in the gown, she says, oh you need to remove your bra…that’s not what I heard. I blamed it to regional differences. To her, underwear was just panties, to me, it was anything under my street clothes.
In with you, Liz!

Nope. Not regional. Generational.

Last time that happened, I explained to the young woman that to women older than her mother, underwear means any clothing that goes UNDER our dresses, shirts, blouses, pants, etc.

The same generation says “verbal” because they think “oral” is a dirty word.

Last edited:
I was born in 1962. I call it all underwear because that is what Mother and the Aunties called it.

I am of your generation, but I actually have always thought underwear was panties/briefs. And I grew up in SoCal too.

Raised in MA. In my mind underwear is synonymous with underpants - covering just the speedo zone. I would use undershirt / camisole / tank to describe fabric north of the navel. I would refer to a full set as undergarments.

I had an unfortunate discussion with a TSA rep at LGA during an all-too-invasive pat down during a business trip a couple of years ago. The TSA agent asked me what she had felt with the back of her hand in my pants and I, in close proximity to my male colleagues, whispered "pantyliner". To my horror, she loudly informed all of the passengers within earshot "No. That's not a pantyliner. Those are thin. What you have is a pad. They're much thicker." So that was fun...

We probably all need a new nomenclature whatyouwearunderyourclothes lesson. Every year we budget a bit of money to spend on Prime Day. Sort of a smallish Christmaskah in the middle of a burning up July. June this year. We also usually buy each other a small gift. This year, I was considering a pair of sexy underwear for Jeff. So I jumped down the rabbit hole of sexy underwear for men on Amazon. About 100 pages of underwear for men they now call panties. Some even called them man panties. Just couldn't hit the buy button. Somehow buying man panties seems wrong. Just wrong.

Best funny men's underwear on Amazon. Black boxers with an orange sea creature/monster on the crotch. Release the Cracken in huge orange letters.

We probably all need a new nomenclature whatyouwearunderyourclothes lesson. Every year we budget a bit of money to spend on Prime Day. Sort of a smallish Christmaskah in the middle of a burning up July. June this year. We also usually buy each other a small gift. This year, I was considering a pair of sexy underwear for Jeff. So I jumped down the rabbit hole of sexy underwear for men on Amazon. About 100 pages of underwear for men they now call panties. Some even called them man panties. Just couldn't hit the buy button. Somehow buying man panties seems wrong. Just wrong.

Best funny men's underwear on Amazon. Black boxers with an orange sea creature/monster on the crotch. Release the Cracken in huge orange letters.
Man panties! Just sounds so wrong. I don’t think I could hit that button either. Unfortunately I have a “relationship” with Amazon we “see” each other way too often.

man panties does sound wrong!

I remember a coworker, decades ago, being shocked I told her I didn't change/wash my bra EVERY DAY. she was shopping for bras and needed seven so she could have a clean one every day because "they are underwear".

bras are too expensive to be wearing them out if you don't need to. but maybe she was super sweaty everywhere in a way I never was?

to me, panties and underwear are the same. I also now use the word underwear for all "protective garments" in the nursing home, briefs or pullups, when talking to patients. and then I switch to whatever word they are used to using except we are not supposed to call them "diapers".

Latest posts

Back