5!

Spiky Bugger

When your Ferritin tests out at 5 (range 20-288), you need iron.

So....I'll be busy for a few hours in the late morning, for the next four Mondays.

Glad I've got Netflix!

More importantly than the fact that you know this and are fixing it, is WHY and FROM WHERE are you losing iron? Didn't you have infusions not all that long ago?

Mine has gone from 13 to 10 in a month which according to my hemo is just fine cos my Hgb is not low YET.
:ahhhhhhh:

Suffering from major infusion envy

More importantly than the fact that you know this and are fixing it, is WHY and FROM WHERE are you losing iron? Didn't you have infusions not all that long ago?
He SAYS...most of stomach gone means most of intrinsic factor gone and this will just be part of my life from now on. I was always "borderline anemic," losing stomach tissue made it worse.

Not as bad as an RnY would have made it...but it is worse than in my earlier life...when they just didn't let me donate blood.

AFAIK, I'm not bleeding anywhere...I've had a half dozen colonoscopies that confirm that and there wasn't even trace blood in the last UA, unusual for me. So...I just don't absorb enough because I don't have, according to him, enough stomach acid, due to insufficient intrinsic factor. Although my reflux-y evenings might be enough to counter that position.

so all of us will end up anemic? what?!
No, but we are all higher risk than folks with intact stomachs, he says.

He also said that people who are on PPIs may also be high risk. That acid is needed to absorb iron...and lacking the acid, we may end up anemic.

Remember, though...I had a head start.

Mine has gone from 13 to 10 in a month which according to my hemo is just fine cos my Hgb is not low YET.

Jesus, Kirstabelle, I'd be finding a new hematologist if mine said that to me. Mine infuses when ferritin dips to 50, or I become symptomatic, whichever comes first. I cannot believe your ferritin is 10 and you're not getting infused. That's criminal.

@Spiky Bugger , my infusion center lets me sleep in a darkened room. But they push mine slowly, over 2-3 hours, because I react to everything. I tried knitting, but no go because of the IV site.

What's the range your results should fall in? And you need a new doctor. This one could make you very sick.

Latest posts

Back