1 yr surgevesary

cheryl baker

Well today it has been 1 yr since my revision to the ds. Weight loss since surgery is 126lbs. Nothing earth shattering but only need to lose 10 more lbs to be "normal" weight.
I should be happier but because of personal problems and nutritional problems I am not happy at all.
Insurance may not pay for my reclast infusion and I have an appt with the hematologist tomorrow but no way to get there and may have to cancel. I have 4 kids and a husband you would think that one of them could get over themselves long enough to care how scared I am and help me out.. but no such luck. Not one of them cares how scared I am. I should be used to it by now but it still hurts.
In an effort to get more nutrition in I have increased my protein and fat to 150 and lowered my carbs back to below 20. Hoping to still lose weight but ib fear the increase will stop the weight loss and make me gain. Here is my plan for today. . Whether I Can follow through or not has yet to be seen
Breakfast 2 eggs 2tbls butter 2oz mozzarella cheese

Lunch 4oz clams 2tbls butter

Afternoon snack 2oz cheddar cheese

Supper 4oz kielbasa

Evening snack 4oz chicken

Protein iced coffee made with 2 scoops unjury 8tbls heavy cream and 4tbls hershey sugar free chocolate syrup to be drank over the course of the day.

Makes the totals
Fat 150
Carbs 18
Protein 155

Wish me luck

Any suggestions welcomed

Cheryl, I'm sorry you're still having problems. Keep thinking of ways to get to that appointment. Your protein plan sounds great, but you don't need to eat so much fat. It's ok to eat fat, within reason, with the Ds because we only absorb about 20% of the fat we eat, but fat doesn't add anything to your nutrition and even 20% will add up if you eat huge amounts of fat. Instead, I would just focus on the protein, and if some fat comes along with the protein, that's ok.
Excess fat intake can also cause diarrhea. It has to go somewhere!

I am really sorry you are feeling bad, mentally and physically. I think you need to call a taxi to get you to your appointments. Dr. appointments don't get blown off so we can feel sorry for ourselves or so that we can thumb our noses at our family. Get your big girl panties on and take care of business. Then, you can come here and discuss all of your fears. There are people here who will read and commiserate with you. Troubles come and go. Take care of your health first.

Cheryl, hang in there! i agree with @newanatomy that you may need to be more direct and forceful with your family members than feels comfortable and tell them exactly what you need and insist. Or come up with a different plan for success. Whatever the case, you need a support system and deserve one too. Good luck.

Family counseling - STAT.

And I would stop worrying so much about "the last 10 lbs" and restricting your carbs that much. If you really are within 10 lbs of goal, and have excess skin, you may already BE at goal. Plus even as a revision, your "window of opportunity" is still there. Right now, you should be eating for HEALTH, not son much for more weight loss.

And if you need to take a taxi to get to your doctor's appointment, do it - and tell your family that you are spending the money on that because they can't be bothered to see that your medical needs matter - and if they have to do without because of it, too fucking bad.

Find a way to get to that appointment even if it's a taxi. Take care of yourself first. I am sorry your family isn't being helpful.

You have my sympathies, Cheryl. I know what it is like to have a spouse who does not understand how to be supportive. But your family is not going to change today, so you'll need to find another way to get where you need to be, and you have to make your health a priority even if they refuse to do so.

I'm very glad that all the people above spoke up more forcefully than I did. I too was thinking taxi or some kind of ride service and if there's no money this month for eating out or later this year for Christmas or Chanukah gifts, well, that's just too damn bad, Mom went to the doctor because her health is more important than your night out.
Figure out a way to get to your appointment. You matter. It would be preferable if your family was supportive, but that isn't going to happen, so YOU have to be strong and make this happen.

Well today it has been 1 yr since my revision to the ds. Weight loss since surgery is 126lbs. Nothing earth shattering but only need to lose 10 more lbs to be "normal" weight.
I should be happier but because of personal problems and nutritional problems I am not happy at all.
Insurance may not pay for my reclast infusion and I have an appt with the hematologist tomorrow but no way to get there and may have to cancel. I have 4 kids and a husband you would think that one of them could get over themselves long enough to care how scared I am and help me out.. but no such luck. Not one of them cares how scared I am. I should be used to it by now but it still hurts.
In an effort to get more nutrition in I have increased my protein and fat to 150 and lowered my carbs back to below 20. Hoping to still lose weight but ib fear the increase will stop the weight loss and make me gain. Here is my plan for today. . Whether I Can follow through or not has yet to be seen
Breakfast 2 eggs 2tbls butter 2oz mozzarella cheese

Lunch 4oz clams 2tbls butter

Afternoon snack 2oz cheddar cheese

Supper 4oz kielbasa

Evening snack 4oz chicken

Protein iced coffee made with 2 scoops unjury 8tbls heavy cream and 4tbls hershey sugar free chocolate syrup to be drank over the course of the day.

Makes the totals
Fat 150
Carbs 18
Protein 155

Wish me luck

Any suggestions welcomed
Not to be argumentative Cheryl, but I gotta throw the bullshit flag on this one..." Weight loss since surgery is 126lbs. Nothing earth shattering but only need to lose 10 more lbs to be "normal" weight" .You lady....are a freaking rockstar!! You 1st had the guts to do what less than 10% of the obese community choose to do: take EFFECTIVE action to correct your problem. You then paid the price daily over the past year to achieve a tremendous victory. I know it didn't come easy for you, because my past year tells me that. So please give yourself the credit you so richly deserve and have earned!! As for the family, try to be patient and understand that as much as you try to explain it all to them, it's so foreign a concept to them that they just can't see it. It's just human nature. Do TRY to continue to educate them and sure as hell make sure you get the help you need, but you'll never have true understanding on their part of all you've been through and go through daily. But WE HERE know well...and again, you are a superhero! You have done amazingly well ... especially for a woman!! Guys lose so much more and faster...we just cheat that way. :p
:ngbbs450d0391e9c80:

thanks for the kind words guys... I made it to my appointment (I used my passive aggressive expertise on them hahahahaha).. good thing cause it was a long way and a taxi was out of the question. I was sooo stressed about whether I was even going to go I lost my mind on what I was suppose to say. I was getting bummed as he starts in welll we dont like doing them cause people have allergic reactions. Your numbers are not that bad. I said well I am tired and dizzy all the time. He was still looking at my numbers and got to the H&H numbers and said.. oh wait a second here.. yah yah.. your not doing that well.. Yup getting the injections is the way to go.. WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Course I thought it was just a one time thing. He said it is either 1 6hr visit or 5 1 hr visits.. He recommended the 5 1hr visits due to less chance of allergic reaction... is this correct????
ANYHOW.. I made it through.. Next stop endo man.. thats in a month.. and my PCP is still working on getting my reclast infusions..
feeling much calmer now :).. thanks for the support....

I'd do the single appointment - no need to go through the BS with your family, plus the multiple copays and really it takes half a day by the time you go there, wait for your appointment, get stuck, etc. Reactions are pretty rare, and they have benadryl at the ready (or even pretreat you with it).

Course I thought it was just a one time thing. He said it is either 1 6hr visit or 5 1 hr visits.. He recommended the 5 1hr visits due to less chance of allergic reaction... is this correct????
Usually InFed is the 1 visit but has a HIGH rate of allergic reactions...so much so they have to do a 5 min test dose, wait 30 mins and then start. AND then there is the fluid afterward to flush the lines and make you hydrated. I called it my rinse cycle. :)

I am allergic to InFed... http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/no-infed-for-me-ever.1611/

I did end up with Ferrlecit. Took 7 different visits but none of them were overly long.

Reactions are pretty rare, and they have benadryl at the ready (or even pretreat you with it).
The infusion center I had mine at said that about 50% of people show a reaction to InFed and even with benadryl for my reaction, I was over 2 hours before being allowed to leave.

Glad you made it! There is always a way. Start with that assumption, then all you have to do is figure out what that way it, not agonize over whether you can do it or not.
Normally I would say go for the 5 hr thing and have so much less concern about all those trips, but with @southernlady 's explanation of how high the allergy rate is, it sounds like the multiple smaller doses path is a better choice. So let your family know ahead of time that this is in the works and you are going to go to each and every appointment no matter what because you need and deserve good medical care, and they can either help out of get out of the way. These appointments, and all your other medical needs, are not negotiable.

Latest posts

Back