Will I Get This Done Before School Starts Again? My Journey

The scheduler sent me a message on MyChart and my date will be August 2! Not the speedy 3 weeks I'd hoped, but since there was a holiday that delayed things plus my surgeon will be out of the office in the last week of July, I'll take it. (Not like I have a choice lol.) This gives me 26 days between surgery and the first day of school. Fingers crossed that all goes well! I'll be cutting it pretty close.
Hey, you got a date, Congratulations

I was rereading your posts up in this thread. You teach HS English. You may get a kick out of this. (Or may not, but I do!)

I had the opportunity to rack up an additional credential by testing, rather than actually…you know…going to school and studying. So I signed up for the test. I was weak in certain areas and bought study guides. The night before the exam, I pulled out my 25+ year old Senior Year HS English textbook. I bullied my husband and daughter into listening to me recite Browning’s My Last Duchess, which my HS English teacher had presented memorably! And I ranted. “This guy! This Duke! He offed his wife because she was PLEASED by sunsets and smiled at a lowly garden worker and because her heart was ‘too soon made glad’. And then he just moved along! What a creep!”

Next day, as the proctor told us to open our test booklets, my SQUEEKING almost got me thrown out of the exam! On the first page…”The following eight questions are based on the poem My Last Duchess by Robert Browning, printed below for reference.”

Given that I had PERFORMED the poem the previous evening, I was pages ahead of my colleagues who had to read and try to remember or understand it.

A single, well-taught poem in an HS English class enhanced my career decades later. So SALLY FORTH!

That's amazing, Spiky Bugger ! I was told that the effects a teacher may have on a student may not be apparent for years afterwards, and you have definitely provided proof of that!

Spiky Bugger - I agree with everyone else! I really enjoy how you share anecdotes and I think a collection of short memoir pieces would be awesome.

As for me, the doctor thinks I may have a small meniscus tear in my knee, which stinks. She said it's usually only fixable with surgery, but I'm hoping that losing weight after the DS will help take some of the pressure off my knee and allow it to heal, or to heal with physical therapy. While I enjoyed my evening of dancing like an idiot, the knee injury is not really the party favor I wanted to get.

This time until surgery is moving excruciatingly slowly. I think I had so much to do to get ready for it with all the appointments and procedures, cleaning out my classroom, and getting ready for the wedding that now I'm at a loss. I've got way too much time to think. There are things I could work on that I could do with my knee propped, but my brain is still so hyper-focused that I can't even read more than a chapter or two of a book before my mind wanders away.

My son and his fiancee will be visiting next month, so it will be nice to have all my kids and my bonus kids under the same roof. It will be a lot of animals though, since everyone has at least two pets.

Spiky Bugger - I agree with everyone else! I really enjoy how you share anecdotes and I think a collection of short memoir pieces would be awesome.

As for me, the doctor thinks I may have a small meniscus tear in my knee, which stinks. She said it's usually only fixable with surgery, but I'm hoping that losing weight after the DS will help take some of the pressure off my knee and allow it to heal, or to heal with physical therapy. While I enjoyed my evening of dancing like an idiot, the knee injury is not really the party favor I wanted to get.

This time until surgery is moving excruciatingly slowly. I think I had so much to do to get ready for it with all the appointments and procedures, cleaning out my classroom, and getting ready for the wedding that now I'm at a loss. I've got way too much time to think. There are things I could work on that I could do with my knee propped, but my brain is still so hyper-focused that I can't even read more than a chapter or two of a book before my mind wanders away.

My son and his fiancee will be visiting next month, so it will be nice to have all my kids and my bonus kids under the same roof. It will be a lot of animals though, since everyone has at least two pets.
Thanks.

But my husband had a torn meniscus…and surgery fixed it.

One more week to go! Tomorrow is my final nutrition class and my hospital pre-op. I've been making lists of what I need to get before the big day, mainly so that my husband will have easily accessible meals that he can eat. I'm the cook in the house for the most part. I have a wide variety of protein shakes and powders (sweet and savory), and have my measuring spoons and one-ounce cups so I can sip responsibly.

I'm just really happy that this site exists, because the Facebook groups I'm in keep getting catty. It's amusing to watch, but not really helpful for those people who are sincerely trying to do their best and do the right things to stay healthy. It's too bad there really isn't an IQ test for the DS. Then again, I may not have passed... :ROFLMAO:

Make sure to arrange your house so that things are easy to reach immediately upon your arrival home. Your core will be sore when you are recovering, so it would be good plan in advance to have tissues, wet wipes, chapstick, water bottle, etc. laid out and accessible on side tables where you will be resting. I found having a kitchen stepladder on the side of my bed made it much easier to get in and out of bed. If you have a recliner, great, if not, may be handy to have extra pillows to prop yourself up in bed. It also may be helpful, if available, to put a cane / walking stick next to the toilet to help shift between standing and sitting on the throne.

Latest posts

Back