Voice

Svetlana Leigh

Hey Y'all,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I posted some months ago concerning my voice changing and not being able to sing in my upper register like I did before surgery. My voice hasn't gotten any better. It's actually gotten a little worse. I finally went to my doctor and I'll share his findings for those who were interested. Sorry, I don't know how to find the old post.

Back in 2009 my family doctor found a goiter on my thyroid. I had an ultrasound performed and it was relatively small 1.1cm. In May of 2016 I had another one performed since it had been several years. It measured 1.2cm. My doctor said it was very little growth so he advised me to leave it alone for now. May of 2017, I had another one performed and it's now measuring 2.6cm. I can't believe it's grown that much in 1 years time. He thinks that's what's causing problems with my voice. Occasionally, I can feel food get hung in my throat on one side. It's really weird but it reminds me of that feeling I had when I had the lapband and food just kind of sat there except its passes after 2-3 seconds. He wants to do a biopsy to see if it's cancerous or benign like a build up of fatty tissue or something similar.

Anyway, I'm about 10 pounds from goal and I'm coming up on my anniversary date. I'm slightly disappointed but I didn't start working out until recently so that's my fault. I struggle with constant hunger and that's annoying as well but it is what it is.

Hey Y'all,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I posted some months ago concerning my voice changing and not being able to sing in my upper register like I did before surgery. My voice hasn't gotten any better. It's actually gotten a little worse. I finally went to my doctor and I'll share his findings for those who were interested. Sorry, I don't know how to find the old post.

Back in 2009 my family doctor found a goiter on my thyroid. I had an ultrasound performed and it was relatively small 1.1cm. In May of 2016 I had another one performed since it had been several years. It measured 1.2cm. My doctor said it was very little growth so he advised me to leave it alone for now. May of 2017, I had another one performed and it's now measuring 2.6cm. I can't believe it's grown that much in 1 years time. He thinks that's what's causing problems with my voice. Occasionally, I can feel food get hung in my throat on one side. It's really weird but it reminds me of that feeling I had when I had the lapband and food just kind of sat there except its passes after 2-3 seconds. He wants to do a biopsy to see if it's cancerous or benign like a build up of fatty tissue or something similar.

Anyway, I'm about 10 pounds from goal and I'm coming up on my anniversary date. I'm slightly disappointed but I didn't start working out until recently so that's my fault. I struggle with constant hunger and that's annoying as well but it is what it is.
I honestly was just thinking of you a few days ago wondering how you and your voice were! I don't think being 10 pounds from goal in a year is bad at all! I hit my one year and I'm not at goal either but it's not far off and I'm not upset. You are doing great. Let us know how the biopsy goes, please.

I honestly was just thinking of you a few days ago wondering how you and your voice were! I don't think being 10 pounds from goal in a year is bad at all! I hit my one year and I'm not at goal either but it's not far off and I'm not upset. You are doing great. Let us know how the biopsy goes, please.

Thank you and you look great!! I'll definitely let you all know how it goes.

Wishing you the best in regaining your ideal voice!
Curious about your statement about having constant hunger. can you describe when this happens and how you are managing it?

Wishing you the best in regaining your ideal voice!
Curious about your statement about having constant hunger. can you describe when this happens and how you are managing it?

I'm hungry about every 2-3 hours. It's the most aggravating thing about my surgery. I had a lapband before the DS and I wasn't always hungry. I try to eat more protein or vegetables and that's helping to curb my hunger. I don't snack on sugary foods. Since I've had the DS, everything is either too salty or way too sweet. Today make 1 year since my surgery and I still have the issues with foods being too salty and too sweet. I love bacon and every package of bacon I've purchased have almost been inedible. I've swapped over to turkey bacon and it tastes better to me now. I thought the food aversions would go away but they haven't. I'm actually glad because my blood pressure is way down.

@Svetlana Leigh Have you tried Pork Jowl Bacon? If you cook it softer, it resembles a cross between bacon and Canadian bacon. The crisper you cook it, the closer it is to actual bacon. But it generally isn't as salty as regular bacon, but every bit as flavorful!!

Hello:)

I just wanted to give an update for those who were interested. I had a biopsy done and the results are benign. I put the procedure off three times due to going on vacation, work responsibilities, and mainly because I was scared. I'm so thankful that it wasn't cancer. My doctors office called and gave me the results over the phone so I haven't actually gone in to see him yet. I'm not sure what will happen but I'd imagine that they will keep observing it for unusual activity.

The doctor who performed the procedure said that it hasn't actually gotten bigger as my PCP suggested, but instead there's three small ones clumped together to make one abnormal sized goiter. Before doing the biopsy he did say that it may just be fluid build up so I asked him about draining the fluid. He said that he could, but they would fill back up again so they usually don't go that route.

If they get too large they'll probably still have to remove it. I really don't want my thyroid removed, but I'll worry about that should I ever have to cross that bridge.

I've been thinking about this post a lot. Ever since I had surgery, my voice hasn't been the same. I don't have the voice strength or clarity anymore, and the natural vibrato I had in my voice is gone, as well. It's like I'm straining three times harder to sing half as well as I did before surgery. I've always had booming voice, and I've never had an issue with pitch. It's always been effortless. Now, it doesn't matter how much effort I put into focus and concentration, it's to no avail.

I'm glad everything has gone well for you so far! I hope you won't have to have your thyroid out, but hopefully, that's something you won't have to worry about!

I've been thinking about this post a lot. Ever since I had surgery, my voice hasn't been the same. I don't have the voice strength or clarity anymore, and the natural vibrato I had in my voice is gone, as well. It's like I'm straining three times harder to sing half as well as I did before surgery. I've always had booming voice, and I've never had an issue with pitch. It's always been effortless. Now, it doesn't matter how much effort I put into focus and concentration, it's to no avail.

I'm glad everything has gone well for you so far! I hope you won't have to have your thyroid out, but hopefully, that's something you won't have to worry about!
Your issues are likely the result of being intubated and it can take several months to be the same as it was before.

Latest posts

Back