Burning Mouth or Saliva

aaa

Hi. I‘ve had this for the last 6 mos. or so. It’s just around the tip area of my tongue. It generally progresses throughout the day.

The only real change supplement wise is going from 2 to 1 iron/day in 10/22. Then in 1/24, I was dropped to 1 every other day. The reason was my ferritin count has been too high for years and my hematologist said it was just sitting in my liver. All my other iron numbers were fine. I see her in March to check on my iron (among other things), but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

The only spicy thing I eat is catsup. My entire life. Other than that I’m an extremely plain eater.

No mouthwash and I use children’s bubblegum toothpaste. For most of my life.

Dr. Goggle says that burning tongue syndrome (yes, it's a thing) can be caused by some nutritional deficiencies, including B12, folic acid and zinc. Also iron deficiency anemia, but we know that isn't your problem. Other causes include Sjogren's syndrome, a laundry list of medications, and thrush, but thrush causes white plaque on your tongue so you would have seen this. And overuse of mouthwash, or abrasive toothpaste (not your problem from what you're saying).
I recommend looking up the list of meds to make sure you aren't on any of them, and of course talking with your pcp to see if they can sort it out.

Dr. Goggle says that burning tongue syndrome (yes, it's a thing) can be caused by some nutritional deficiencies, including B12, folic acid and zinc. Also iron deficiency anemia, but we know that isn't your problem. Other causes include Sjogren's syndrome, a laundry list of medications, and thrush, but thrush causes white plaque on your tongue so you would have seen this. And overuse of mouthwash, or abrasive toothpaste (not your problem from what you're saying).
I recommend looking up the list of meds to make sure you aren't on any of them, and of course talking with your pcp to see if they can sort it out.
Thanks. I looked it up, too, but I didn’t see a list of meds. I’ll take a look.
Edit: Just looked. One jumped off the page at me. I’ve been on it for over 2 years. I will speak to my pain doctor next week. Thanks for the tip. If it is that, I’ll probably just have to stick with Orajel, as my ankle won’t let me give the med. up. And it took forever to find one that helped somewhat. But maybe we can try others again.

i just saw another I take (a half a pill every other day) I’m going to have to mention this, too.

I do grind my teeth, as I’ve read can be part of it, but I’ve been wearing a nightguard for over 40 years, so it seemed unlikely to me that it could be that; so all of a sudden. I guess I was wondering about supplements. That’s always one of my first thoughts.

Last edited:
I have a pre surgical physical with him in a few weeks. I’ll definitely bring it up. And with my dentist, when I see her.

I have a pre surgical physical with him in a few weeks. I’ll definitely bring it up. And with my dentist, when I see her.

Given that it MIGHT BE something he’d want to correct before surgery, maybe you could ask for tests now on your B12, folic acid and zinc, just to rule those out as causes. (I know SOMETIMES Quest or LabCorp have tests you can get ordered w/out doctor’s orders or through their online doctor.)

Latest posts

Back