Post op pain?

Webmommy

My surgery is Wednesday and I am a little worried about how bad it's going to hurt? How bad did you all hurt in the hospital? Did you go home on pain meds? Or did you just happen to stay in the hospital until a lot of the pain left?

In my preop appointment notes it said manage post op pain with Tylenol 3 and it makes me vomit. I wrote it down in my drug allergies. Are they going to manage my pain in the hospital with something as weak as Tylenol? Also I can't imagine throwing up after they cut my stomach down. That hurts too right? Could it be possible that I leave the hospital in 48 hours and not hurt too badly and not need anything?

My surgery was open. I went home with vicodin. I usually only took it at night so I could sleep! It was not as bad as I was expecting!

My surgery was open and a revision from distal rny to Ds with 4 hours of adhesion removal. WORSE PAIN EVER. THEY gave me oxycodone 40, dilaudid, tordal and a bunch of other stuff. But he had to cut so much adhesionscut out so I was a special case. What he was giving me originally when I told the pharmacy what I take on an every day basis for years the told Dr. K what he was giving me was the equivalent of a baby aspirin so then he readjusted.

The will give you something to manage your pain appropriately. I only heard of 1 dr a long time ago who wouldn't give someone narcotics. Your surgery lap or open? Your experience should be nothing like mine because I was a revision and he had to cut all those adhesions out. EITHER WAY YOU GOT THIS!

My surgery was open and a revision from distal rny to Ds with 4 hours of adhesion removal. WORSE PAIN EVER. THEY gave me oxycodone 40, dilaudid, tordal and a bunch of other stuff. But he had to cut so much adhesionscut out so I was a special case. What he was giving me originally when I told the pharmacy what I take on an every day basis for years the told Dr. K what he was giving me was the equivalent of a baby aspirin so then he readjusted.

The will give you something to manage your pain appropriately. I only heard of 1 dr a long time ago who wouldn't give someone narcotics. Your surgery lap or open? Your experience should be nothing like mine because I was a revision and he had to cut all those adhesions out. EITHER WAY YOU GOT THIS!
Thank you! It's going to be laparoscopic. I expect there is scar tissue from two c-sections and from the incision in the front from my spinal fusion. But my ob said last year after my baby was born that the scar tissue wasn't a huge amount. "The amount is what we would expect to find after abdominal surgery." So hopefully that means not a lot of scar tissue that interferes.

I have been asking around because I am feeling anxious. Some people say they didn't experience much pain after they left the hospital and some say it was extremely painful. I hope my pain is managed properly but my c-section post op pain wasn't managed well and they didn't even have the pain pump in my room when I got there as promised. I also had a small back surgery the year before that and my pain dr didn't have his prescription pad at this facility. They told me to continue taking what I was taking! But I had weaned off all my meds so I had nothing! It was night so they said they would send it off in the morning. I was without pain meds for almost 24 hours by the time the prescription was messengered from Dallas to Fort Worth, my husband picking it up and then the first pharmacy was out and the second I had to wait hours. It hurt and I had the shakes by then. So I'm feeling nervous. Different doctors and even different places and I was in pain. I'm nervous that I am going to hurt but when I say something that I will be treated like a drug seeker like after my c-section. Which what happens if I really am hurting because something is wrong but they don't pay me any attention? As you can see I'm freaking out! I'm not backing out.

My DS pain was very manageable with mild pain relief. I’m sensitive to most pain meds. (a doctor told me one time to say I’m allergic to avoid them).

But if I had to scale my surgeries from most to least painful:
Jaw surgery (post DS) this one hurt SO bad.
Hardware removal lower jaw 18 months later​
Hardware removal upper jaw 24 months later​
1st back surgery (pre DS)
2nd back surgery (post DS)
Tonsillectomy and UPPP (pre DS)
DS
Gall bladder surgery (post DS) this one was extraordinarily easy for me. Only discomfort was the belt on my pants that landed on top of the incision.

Thank you! It's going to be laparoscopic. I expect there is scar tissue from two c-sections and from the incision in the front from my spinal fusion. But my ob said last year after my baby was born that the scar tissue wasn't a huge amount. "The amount is what we would expect to find after abdominal surgery." So hopefully that means not a lot of scar tissue that interferes.

I have been asking around because I am feeling anxious. Some people say they didn't experience much pain after they left the hospital and some say it was extremely painful. I hope my pain is managed properly but my c-section post op pain wasn't managed well and they didn't even have the pain pump in my room when I got there as promised. I also had a small back surgery the year before that and my pain dr didn't have his prescription pad at this facility. They told me to continue taking what I was taking! But I had weaned off all my meds so I had nothing! It was night so they said they would send it off in the morning. I was without pain meds for almost 24 hours by the time the prescription was messengered from Dallas to Fort Worth, my husband picking it up and then the first pharmacy was out and the second I had to wait hours. It hurt and I had the shakes by then. So I'm feeling nervous. Different doctors and even different places and I was in pain. I'm nervous that I am going to hurt but when I say something that I will be treated like a drug seeker like after my c-section. Which what happens if I really am hurting because something is wrong but they don't pay me any attention? As you can see I'm freaking out! I'm not backing out.

Have hubby to ask for scripts while you are in hospital so he can already have it filled once you are released.

My DS pain was very manageable with mild pain relief. I’m sensitive to most pain meds. (a doctor told me one time to say I’m allergic to avoid them).

But if I had to scale my surgeries from most to least painful:
Jaw surgery (post DS) this one hurt SO bad.
Hardware removal lower jaw 18 months later​
Hardware removal upper jaw 24 months later​
1st back surgery (pre DS)
2nd back surgery (post DS)
Tonsillectomy and UPPP (pre DS)
DS
Gall bladder surgery (post DS) this one was extraordinarily easy for me. Only discomfort was the belt on my pants that landed on top of the incision.

That makes me less worried! Thank you! I appreciate you sharing even though it cost you a lot of pain to find out. There's nothing worse than my 360° fusion surgery. They went through the front and the back so everything hurt when I moved. My gall bladder removal was pretty easy and I could easily cope. They gave me tramadol which makes me have hives though. I start my clear diet today at noon so I am on my way to go time.

Hi, I felt DS was roughly equivalent to my second c-section, which hurt less than the first. I've had many surgeries and for me, virgin lap DS fell in the lower end of middle range of the spectrum pain-wise.

I'm switched now and at home and boy do I hurt. It hurts worse than the c-section and gallbladder removal. The first night I threw up and I cried it hurt so bad. The dilaudid only worked for the first hour and the second hour it was like I had nothing relieving some of my pain. And the nausea. There's no doctor on staff in the middle of the night and I had to insist many times that they call the doctor. They kept saying let's try this and that and then they got me up to walk. I could acutely feel where they cut my stomach and sewed it up. So I was pretty miserable all the time but I feel better now that I am at home. Only miserable when I sleep through my next dose of painkillers and nausea meds.

Sorry it was rough. Dilaudid is one of the big gun pain killers but the bad thing is it is very short acting. What did they send you home with?

Webmommy, Sorry you are hurting. Hopefully they have got the pain well-controlled now. Every day will be better from here on out. Please remember to stay hydrated once IV's are out - that will make all the difference for early recovery.

Sorry it was rough. Dilaudid is one of the big gun pain killers but the bad thing is it is very short acting. What did they send you home with?
They sent me home with liquid hydrocodone/acetaminophen and Phenergan and scop patches.

Webmommy, Sorry you are hurting. Hopefully they have got the pain well-controlled now. Every day will be better from here on out. Please remember to stay hydrated once IV's are out - that will make all the difference for early recovery.
I am halfway through a protein drink and 3/4s the way through a big 32 ounce cup. I'm learning just how small a sip really is. They want me to drink two protein drinks a day right away but I don't think it's possible for me to do that yet. If I drink too many sips close together my stomach gets mad at me.

I don't know why some surgeons push protein (and sometimes vitamins) so early post-op. Your body has stores to carry you through the first few tough weeks. Focus on hydration, hydration, hydration and walking. If you can manage that much, you're doing just fine.

Latest posts

Back