Post op pain?

I am halfway through a protein drink and 3/4s the way through a big 32 ounce cup. I'm learning just how small a sip really is. They want me to drink two protein drinks a day right away but I don't think it's possible for me to do that yet. If I drink too many sips close together my stomach gets mad at me.

Larra's advice is spot on. It's too early to worry about protein. Focus on hydration via whatever liquids whatever you can tolerate best and walking. Experiment with temperatures and flavors of liquids - some can best handle warm, others cold, and your tastes may be a bit off or changed - anything that will keep you hydrated will do, but make it job number one to sip throughout the day. Heal well!

I don't know why some surgeons push protein (and sometimes vitamins) so early post-op. Your body has stores to carry you through the first few tough weeks. Focus on hydration, hydration, hydration and walking. If you can manage that much, you're doing just fine.
They actually want me to drink four protein shakes day because I am breastfeeding but for now two shakes. I can only do what my body will let me do. I had an esophageal spasm all day Friday so I couldn't get anything down but water until they gave me a steroid.

Larra's advice is spot on. It's too early to worry about protein. Focus on hydration via whatever liquids whatever you can tolerate best and walking. Experiment with temperatures and flavors of liquids - some can best handle warm, others cold, and your tastes may be a bit off or changed - anything that will keep you hydrated will do, but make it job number one to sip throughout the day. Heal well!

Thank you. I haven't tried popsicles at home yet but I might soon. I am not sure how I will react to warm drinks because I didn't like warm drinks before. I wonder if a warm drink will slide down better.

If I can drink more than a sip and it stays down, should I? What if I can take a normal drink? Should I or am stretching something out by doing that?

Just continue with one sip at a time. Take another sip if you feel your stomach will let you. If not, wait a few minutes and then sip again. Keep your liquid, whatever it is, handy, so you can sip frequently. And you're right, this just isn't something you can force.

I can take a regular drink and it doesn't hurt. Or maybe my sips were too small before? My sip was just enough to moisten my mouth and have a little to trickle down. It's not a gulp though which I accidentally did while walking. That was a little uncomfortable but it stayed down.

I am still in pain but another lady I know who had her surgery the same day went off her painkillers yesterday and she's doing okay. I'm thinking that I am going to run out of my painkillers before my abdominal pain ends and I feel very discouraged. Based on how much I hurt and am nauseous, I couldn't have handled doing this in Mexico and returning home without painkillers.

Also, I thought I would feel better and closer to normal by now. But I guess I underestimated that recovery from surgery is harder for me due to fibromyalgia. I always have a hard time recovering and it takes longer but I thought this time would be different from all the twenty million times before. Geez I'm so goofy.

I am still in pain but another lady I know who had her surgery the same day went off her painkillers yesterday and she's doing okay. I'm thinking that I am going to run out of my painkillers before my abdominal pain ends and I feel very discouraged. Based on how much I hurt and am nauseous, I couldn't have handled doing this in Mexico and returning home without painkillers.

Also, I thought I would feel better and closer to normal by now. But I guess I underestimated that recovery from surgery is harder for me due to fibromyalgia. I always have a hard time recovering and it takes longer but I thought this time would be different from all the twenty million times before. Geez I'm so goofy.
Remember, you are not the other lady. Each person deals with pain differently. You do you.

Okay, nausea possibly has two causes. Are you getting in a minimum of 64 oz a day? Dehydration causes nausea which causes dehydration which causes nausea...see the catch 22? Also are you on a PPI? Not being on one can lead to nausea.

Remember, you are not the other lady. Each person deals with pain differently. You do you.

Okay, nausea possibly has two causes. Are you getting in a minimum of 64 oz a day? Dehydration causes nausea which causes dehydration which causes nausea...see the catch 22? Also are you on a PPI? Not being on one can lead to nausea.

I am not at 64 ounces yet. Close but not yet. I am not dehydrated though because my urine isn't dark. I also take a prilosec in the morning. The pain medications and antinausea medications are working for me but I was hoping at this point I wouldn't need either. When I go too long without taking pain meds I get nauseous too. So I take it.

I am not at 64 ounces yet. Close but not yet. I am not dehydrated though because my urine isn't dark. I also take a prilosec in the morning. The pain medications and antinausea medications are working for me but I was hoping at this point I wouldn't need either. When I go too long without taking pain meds I get nauseous too. So I take it.
Get over 64 (cause of the weather) as soon as you can.

Also, Prilosec may not be helping. For me, Prilosec may as well been sugar pills. I found out even before my DS that Prevacid or Protonix was what I needed. Prevacid is available in generic.

There's a burning/gnawing feeling that is going on in my stomach that only goes away in the morning when I take the Prilosec but it doesn't stay gone. But I am not sure if it is hunger, pain or heartburn either. Or all of the above.

Latest posts

Back