Need Advice, Consent Form….

Tell the surgeon you wasn't the consent form finalized at your preop appointment, not on the day of surgery. And tell him that while it is not personal, your cadre on on-line experts, including doctors, nurses and lawyers told you it was absolutely necessary, in all cases. Too many bait-and-don't switches happening, including people waking up with surgeries they did not consent to, including VSG and SADI.

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I was wondering also. They’re not lawyers and in today’s PC everyone’s afraid of getting sued world, when they see that, does everything go on hold until the lawyers have to see review it?
yes one of my surgeries came very close to being cancelled-postponed, due to being on hold for legal, being an out of town patient was very difficult. But I was treated with respect and understanding while I was waiting, with the exception of one surgeon. With 2 of my surgeries in 2 different states it didn't matter what I signed in the Dr's office the hospital had its consent forms, and those were the ones that trumped everything else, that is correct, it made absolutely no difference what I signed in the Dr's office. Make sure you read everything and understand what you are reading; question what you don't even if it is put on hold.

I’m just going to send it to Dr.Wilsons bariatric coordinator with a brief explanation that I want that verbage in my consent form and we can just take care of it at my last pre-surgery visit and discuss then one last time in person as Diana said. That’s about all I can do. If the hospital has something different…well, whatever. All I can do is all I can do and the deal is with my surgeon not the hospital, that’s about all I can think to do.

How about calling the hospital and checking the subject out with them?

Good idea also. I will try to call them too after I deal with the Dr. Who knows, I might get lucky and actually get someone knowledgeable that also cares and is helpful. Doesn't hurt to try.

I’m just going to send it to Dr.'s bariatric coordinator with a brief explanation that I want that verbiage in my consent form and we can just take care of it at my last pre-surgery visit and discuss then one last time in person as Diana said. That’s about all I can do. If the hospital has something different…well, whatever. All I can do is all I can do and the deal is with my surgeon not the hospital, that’s about all I can think to do.

OK, here is what I'm going to send to the bariatric coordinator, for all to review, especially the Dr., and then discuss one more time on my pre-op visit. A cover letter is first, explaining what, when, why I need to add this to the consent form and then the actual "consent statement" that everyone helped me author, especially Hilary. It is under the "cover letter".

COVER LETTER:
Prior to our pre-surgery consultation on ????, I wanted to compile and reiterate what I need to achieve most from this surgery and convey to you the severity level of my crashed metabolism.

I have spent well over a year and hundreds of hours researching what Bariatric surgery would benefit me the most. As I have stated previously, because I have a severe case of Metabolic syndrome(due to insulin resistance etc, limits my body’s ability to use sugar and convert for energy), and everything I eat gets turned into fat first, and stored as fat cells and not burned real-time for energy as “normal” people. Because I eat fewer than 800-1000 calories a day and am in the starvation mode 24/7, this syndrome is self perpetuating and with age and time has spiraled down to my present condition of non-functionality and is no longer sustainable. Therefore, because it as an absolute necessity for me to have the malabsorptive component of the DS, it is the only bariatric surgery that I would benefit from long term and is the only surgery I will consent to or consider.

Based on my personal metabolic challenges and on the collective advice of several other medical professionals, counselors, and long term bariatric patients and veterans’ of the DS that I have consulted with, I have been strongly advised that I need to add that to my surgical consent form, (see below).

In pursuit of seeking a DS Surgeon, I have met with and consulted SIX different Bariatric Surgeons over the last year. I specifically chose you to do my surgery because you have a reputation as an experienced DS surgeon, and have said you could perform this procedure on me. I am 56 years old and I/we need to do our absolute best to get this maximum benefit from the full DS surgery the first time.

In addition, the surgery cannot be done in two stages because my insurance will NOT cover a second weight loss surgery, especially if my BMI drops from the short term weight loss I may achieve with the VSG portion of the surgery, so, a two stage DS is surgery is cannot be an option for me.

Please understand, I’ve been riding this metabolic roller coaster for over 35+ years, and either way, I am done. I can’t go on living on 800 calories a day. From a more personal perspective; my wife and I are raising our Granddaughter and she is 12 years old now and we are the only parents she has known since she was 10. I have to be here for her and am trying to buy myself another 15-20 years or so. The DS surgery is the only chance I have, and it truly is my last hope to force some semblance of a metabolic course correction to increase and extend the quality of my life, and those are my primary motivations.

CONSENT/SURGICAL RELEASE FORM
Consent is granted strictly for a Full Duodenal Switch Surgery intended to be completed fully in a single laparascopic procedure. If it is determined during the procedure that the Full Duodenal Switch Surgery cannot be accomplished laparoscopically, consent is further granted for the Full Duodenal Switch Surgery to be performed as a single open procedure. Should any unexpected situation occur intraoperatively which, in the best medical judgment of the Surgical Team, requires that the procedure be stopped, it is expected that photographic evidence and all full documentation of the rationale for not undertaking the switch part of the surgery shall be provided to fully ensure continuity of care for the subsequent completion of the procedure.

Last edited:
Robs477, I am following this because I am in a similar situation. I am not having the BPD-DS for weight loss reasons, however the weight loss will be a huge bonus. I was recently diagnosed with Familial Partial Lipodystrophy, a genetic disorder that I never knew about because I was adopted as an infant. Once they found that, it explained my severe insulin resistance and many other issues. The first thing they said was that BPD-DS would be my only option and I would "pass away" without it. I have a special needs child who will need care for the rest of her life. How can I leave her at 12 years old, without anyone else to care for her? I cannot! My older children are all grown with their own lives and issues, none of them could care for her. She is my inspiration for the surgery. I have not heard that my surgeon (Ranjan Sudan) has done any bait & switching or anything different than what he says...but this info is terrific to know! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Good luck with your surgery!

Thank you Tammy, It sounds like you've got it all under control as best as you can and even have a surgery date, that's great! The experts on this site can help you with everything you need to know. Because of your genetic disorder, I don't even see how they could even remotely possibly try the ole "Bait and no Switch" on you because you need the switch part, but, again, I'm still learning as I go. I wish you the absolute best with your surgery and your "baby"! Sounds like you are each others Angels too :)

Robs477, I am following this because I am in a similar situation. I am not having the BPD-DS for weight loss reasons, however the weight loss will be a huge bonus. I was recently diagnosed with Familial Partial Lipodystrophy, a genetic disorder that I never knew about because I was adopted as an infant. Once they found that, it explained my severe insulin resistance and many other issues. The first thing they said was that BPD-DS would be my only option and I would "pass away" without it. I have a special needs child who will need care for the rest of her life. How can I leave her at 12 years old, without anyone else to care for her? I cannot! My older children are all grown with their own lives and issues, none of them could care for her. She is my inspiration for the surgery. I have not heard that my surgeon (Ranjan Sudan) has done any bait & switching or anything different than what he says...but this info is terrific to know! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Good luck with your surgery!
Sudan is a good egg - he won't bait-and-don't-switch you.

@robs477: some minor typos/tweaks:
  • "insulin resistance" not resistivity
  • "Because I eat FEWER than 800-1000" not LESS FEWER
  • "I specifically chose you to do my surgery because you are the best of the best and also an experienced DS surgeon." Meh. I'd tone it down. Maybe "I specifically chose you to do my surgery because you have a reputation as an experienced DS surgeon, and have said you could perform this procedure on me." Remember how the previous statement might look in court, later ....
  • "From a more personal perspective, my wife" (sorry, can't help it - I proofread CONSTANTLY, and see everyone's mistakes except some of my own ...)

Sudan is a good egg - he won't bait-and-don't-switch you.

@robs477: some minor typos/tweaks:
  • "insulin resistance" not resistivity
  • "Because I eat FEWER than 800-1000" not LESS FEWER
  • "I specifically chose you to do my surgery because you are the best of the best and also an experienced DS surgeon." Meh. I'd tone it down. Maybe "I specifically chose you to do my surgery because you have a reputation as an experienced DS surgeon, and have said you could perform this procedure on me." Remember how the previous statement might look in court, later ....
  • "From a more personal perspective, my wife" (sorry, can't help it - I proofread CONSTANTLY, and see everyone's mistakes except some of my own ...)

Thxs Diana, all good catches. I’ll make the changes. I know you don’t want this to get out and become common knowledge, but….you really are a very sweet Lady! ;) And, oh yeah, BTW, I wanted you to be the first one here to know….I FINALLY got my official approval today from the insurance. All I’m waiting on now is a date!!

Thxs Diana, all good catches. I’ll make the changes. I know you don’t want this to get out and become common knowledge, but….you really are a very sweet Lady! ;) And, oh yeah, BTW, I wanted you to be the first one here to know….I FINALLY got my official approval today from the insurance. All I’m waiting on now is a date!!

Just made the changes. Diana, just as and did an edit in the post... footnote: I struggled with that whole "as a personal note" thingy for a GD hour and was seriously word blocking..lol...."personal perspective" should have been right there!!!...so, thxs again.

@hilary1617, if you see that final draft, could you review it also??? I really appreciate it! This is my LAST hurdle...(I think)...lol

So what kind of timeframe are you looking at? How far out are they scheduling? What if they call and say they can do it next week? Are you ready?

I'm excited for you!

So what kind of timeframe are you looking at? How far out are they scheduling? What if they call and say they can do it next week? Are you ready?

I'm excited for you!

:D:D:D...thank you, that's very sweet!! I'm pretty ready. In December, they told me that once I have approval, they usually run 2-3 weeks after that for the date, and it may even be sooner because Jan/Feb are "slow" months evidently?? The surgical coordinator should call within a few days for a date...MORE waiting..lol. I think I have everything almost ready, except for a few "morbid" things I was saving until I got approval, like an updated will, letter with all my log In passwords info etc for chking accounts, bills, etc, and goodbye letters to loved ones all that ...lol I HOPE that doesn't sound to horrific or morbid, but, it is major surgery and I am an exremly practical person to a fault and always have a backup plan for a backup for a backup etc and always have an exit prepared, I guess that is the X-Army guy in me. Someone had a "Pre-Surgery to Do List" on here and was looking for that also.

Latest posts

Back