Need Advice, Consent Form….

Maybe it's the mild mannered consensus-builder in me, but I'd keep it as brief, straight forward and cordial as possible so as not to antagonize the surgeon. I'd be worried that if insulted by the language, he might consider not conducting any surgery at all. I would write something like (and I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on tv, so this is just as a layman):

Consent is granted strictly for a Duodenal Switch intended to be completed fully in a single laparascopic procedure. If it is determined during the procedure that the Duodenal Switch cannot be accomplished laparoscopically, consent is granted for the Duodenal Switch to be performed as a single open procedure. Should a situation occur intraoperatively which, in best medical judgment, requires that the procedure be stopped, it is expected that photographic evidence and full documentation of the rationale for not undertaking the switch part of the surgery will be provided to ensure continuity of care for the subsequent completion of the procedure by another surgeon.

- Edited to eliminate a redundant "occur".

Last edited:
Maybe it's the mild mannered consensus-builder in me, but I'd keep it as brief, straight forward and cordial as possible so as not to antagonize the surgeon. I'd be worried that if insulted by the language, he might consider not conducting any surgery at all. I would write something like (and I'm not a lawyer and don't even play one on tv, so this is just as a layman):

Consent is granted strictly for a Duodenal Switch intended to be completed fully in a single laparascopic procedure. If it is determined during the procedure that the Duodenal Switch cannot be accomplished laparoscopically, consent is granted for the Duodenal Switch to be performed as a single open procedure. Should a situation occur intraoperatively occur which, in best medical judgment, requires that the procedure be stopped, it is expected that photographic evidence and full documentation of the rationale for not undertaking the switch part of the surgery will be provided to ensure continuity of care for the subsequent completion of the procedure by another surgeon.
Even better!

Consent is granted strictly for a Duodenal Switch intended to be completed fully in a single laparascopic procedure. If it is determined during the procedure that the Duodenal Switch cannot be accomplished laparoscopically, consent is granted for the Duodenal Switch to be performed as a single open procedure. Should a situation occur intraoperatively occur which, in best medical judgment, requires that the procedure be stopped, it is expected that photographic evidence and full documentation of the rationale for not undertaking the switch part of the surgery will be provided to ensure continuity of care for the subsequent completion of the procedure by another surgeon.

@hilary1617...OMG, that's PERFECT! Its exactly what I was looking for and includes all the points is straight and to the point but NOT confrontational!! I didn't want to get confrontational either and didn't want to go in to this like that. THANK YOU SO MUCH! and thank you to everyone else for taking the time to help. Thank you for taking the time to write it out also Hilary, I will just do an exact cut and paste of it. Wish I could give you a big HUG!! Here's one Cyberly at least!!!:D

BTW, I love your new picture too, what a great smile!:D

Last edited:
@hilary1617...OMG, that's PERFECT! Its exactly what I was looking for and includes all the points is straight and to the poiny but NOT confrontational!! I didn't want to get confrontational either and didn't want to go in to this like that. THANK YOU SO MUCH! and thank you to everyone else for taking the time to help. Thank you for taking the time to write it out also Hilary, I will just do an exact cut and paste of it. Wish I could give you a big HUG!! Here's one Cyberly at least!!!:D

BTW, I love your new picture too, what a great smile!:D

Robs...before you copy verbatim...get @hilary1617 to decide which "occur" is the final draft.

"Should a situation occur intraoperatively occur which"

Her brain was moving faster than her fingers.

Robs...before you copy verbatim...get @hilary1617 to decide which "occur" is the final draft.

"Should a situation occur intraoperatively occur which"

Her brain was moving faster than her fingers.

Also, how do I get that on the consent form? Is there a space to add comments, do I hand write that in or will they let me just add as an attachment already printed out?

Also, how do I get that on the consent form? Is there a space to add comments, do I hand write that in or will they let me just add as an attachment already printed out?

Is there any white space on the form? If so, my old fashioned way would be to print out what I want to say, cut it out, copy it on to a blank version of the form, thus producing a new form. If there is an attachment, I'd make sure the original form CLEARLY references that addendum.

ETA...you can CREATE blank space by copying the original at, say, 85% of the original size.

Thanks @Spiky Bugger for catching that typo. Darn finger / brain disconnect! Either occur will do; I have edited the above to reflect my preference for the first.

Thanks @robs477 for the compliment. One's "never fully dressed without a smile", after all. My childhood camp nickname was "Big Chief Smilehawk", I kid you not.

I handwrote my comments on my consent form and initialed them for good measure.

Thanks @Spiky Bugger for catching that typo. Darn finger / brain disconnect! Either occur will do; I have edited the above to reflect my preference for the first.

Thanks @robs477 for the compliment. One's "never fully dressed without a smile", after all. My childhood camp nickname was "Big Chief Smilehawk", I kid you not.

I handwrote my comments on my consent form and initialed them for good measure.

That's what I'm going to do. I presume its done right before surgery upon admission?, so, there's no time to make copies of the form etc and type it in? again, my assumption? Its not that long, one paragraph, easy enough to hand write YOUR paragraph. ONE last question for everybody...does the surgeon view the consent form. i.e., will they show him what I hand wrote prior to surgery?

That's what I'm going to do. I presume its done right before surgery upon admission?, so, there's no time to make copies of the form etc and type it in? again, my assumption? Its not that long, one paragraph, easy enough to hand write YOUR paragraph. ONE last question for everybody...does the surgeon view the consent form. i.e., will they show him what I hand wrote prior to surgery?

If it scares them, they will run to show it to him.

My surgeon tried to foist just the sleeve on me while I was getting my IV inserted in pre-op. So I guess you're a little ahead of me, at least he gave you the verbal warning before you were in a hospital gown. He said that he might be able to ONLY do the sleeve, and How was I going to feel about that?

What **I** did was took a really deep breath, then I looked at my husband, who wisely took a step back (so as not to get spattered). I told him "I guess I would have to deal with it. But, YOU WON'T BE SEEING ME FOR THE SWITCH PART." His face went beet red, and he made a hasty departure.

I woke up with the full DS, and never saw him again. He did not visit me in hospital, nor would he see me in office. I saw only his PA, nurse, and dietician. Never needed him, either.

Make sure they take your gallbladder and appendix, too.

I have had many surgeries in multiples different states, no hospital is the same, no surgeon is the same and no legal department is the same, different states have different requirements. some places will not allow you to change anything, cross out etc just before surgery (you can change anything in the consent form in the dr's office but when you get the hospital, it is different) without the legal dept being there, that is what happened to me when I crossed out a hard coded response. I had to have my response accepted by the legal department and my surgery was "on hold" till they arrived and authorized it.

I have had many surgeries in multiples different states, no hospital is the same, no surgeon is the same and no legal department is the same, different states have different requirements. some places will not allow you to change anything, cross out etc just before surgery (you can change anything in the consent form in the dr's office but when you get the hospital, it is different) without the legal dept being there, that is what happened to me when I crossed out a hard coded response. I had to have my response accepted by the legal department and my surgery was "on hold" till they arrived and authorized it.

That’s exactly what I was wondering also. They’re not lawyers and in today’s PC everyone’s afraid of getting sued world, when they see that, does everything go on hold until the lawyers have to see review it?

Latest posts

Back