My jaw AGAIN - Update 11/18/14

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Remember after my surgery in May I said I didn't have to go back for a year...well, my upper jaw made a liar out of me. I saw him today.

Seems the screws in the upper plate is WANDERING now. I can feel it where before all I could actually feel was a fullness in my sinuses. So he's going ahead with the pre-cert that the Medicare Advantage policies require and I go back to see him at his main office once they call me to set a date. He's gonna do a CT scan without contrast (don't need contrast for my jaw) and a new panoramic. At this point he isn't sure if he will just remove them and leave them out or remove and replace them.

Unlike the lower jaw which had just a baby space to grow bone, the upper jaw has LOTS of space because of the eye and sinus cavities. It's why he left them in there last spring...Essentially the rod is holding my face together up there. Bone takes forever to regrow in that area...

Anyway, looks like another surgery ahead of me.

oh, no. I'm sorry Liz. does this affect things like eating? I mean, right now?
No more than it's been affected for the last two years...Chewy things like nuts are problematic and my mouth prefers soft stuff.
I am so sorry to hear this, Liz! Is it painful? Hope this will be a smooth fix....
ONLY if I press it...it does bother me but the only time it does hurt is when I press down on it.

No! That is just terrible, Liz. I am so sorry. I vote for leaving them out if possible to avoid future wanderings. :(

My jaws are clenched, with my teeth not touching, and my mouth is filling with spit, just thinking about all that work and pain. And this is from someone who had every last tooth crowned over the last 4 years, and dealt with Charles getting a complete set of implant-supported dentures, with bone grafting. That just sounds awful.

No! That is just terrible, Liz. I am so sorry. I vote for leaving them out if possible to avoid future wanderings. :(
I am too but I also want a stable upper jaw and if it takes hardware to keep it that way, then so be it.
My jaws are clenched, with my teeth not touching, and my mouth is filling with spit, just thinking about all that work and pain. And this is from someone who had every last tooth crowned over the last 4 years, and dealt with Charles getting a complete set of implant-supported dentures, with bone grafting. That just sounds awful.
The odd thing is, it wasn't that miserable last time. And once I stopped drooling like a newborn (about 6 weeks later) it wasn't so bad the first time. He does give me good meds for the pain. :)

Crowns actually hurt worse...I think it's cause they put me under and with a crown, while you are numb, it still can hurt.

Oh no so sorry to hear this. I get gassed for Crowns. Dental work scares the crap out of me...
It USE to scare the crap out of me...this has pretty much resolved that issue, LOL.

Sorry Liz! I hope they get it fixed right and completely this time around!
Me too! I'm tired of this.
Ugh, what a bummer! You gonna have to be a chipmunk again? ;)
Yeah, but not as bad on the lower part since he won't be touching that part, just the upper jaw.
Aw HELL :-(. That blows the big one.
I know, I know...but I would prefer he fix it to anyone else.

T
he odd thing is, it wasn't that miserable last time. And once I stopped drooling like a newborn (about 6 weeks later) it wasn't so bad the first time. He does give me good meds for the pain.

that's good news! and you have confidence in your doctor, can't beat that.

Went over to see my surgeon today. He wanted a panoramic and a CT scan of my jaw. Saw him after the panoramic was done...he said that it LOOKED like the plates and screws on the upper jaw had done it's job...so he will focus on just removal BUT leaves the option open to replace them (with SHORTER ONES) IF he sees the need once in there. As before, he says it will be day surgery. He's already booked into Nov which is fine cause I don't want to look like a damned chipmunk for my daddy's memorial service on the 1st of Nov.

Won't know for a few days the results of the CT scan. He did that because I have been having some odd pains under my jaw...it's like it catches and HURTS til I ride it out. My PCP thought it could be a stone or blockage of the salivary gland based on the "abuse" my jaw has been dealt. However, my surgeon thinks it might be scar tissue but did the CT scan to be sure. If it's scar tissue, I just need to live with it cause going in and getting rid of the scar tissue just creates MORE scar tissue. IF it's a stone or blockage, then he will also deal with that.

His office manager who does his scheduling said that that the surgery will most likely be the second week of November.

Latest posts

Back