I've been lost... but now I'm found?

I went missing again... and my current sighting here may only be momentary (temporarily anyway). So sad to say my mom fell (in my kitchen while trying to help out) and broke her hip on Sunday. Surgery went fine this morning. Recovery sounds like a long, painful haul. Surgeon told me very few people her age with this particular fracture make it a year. Sigh... I've been touring rehabs and may be away from here again after tonight. Really just wanted to be absent WITH leave instead of without.

Thanks for all the good wishes and posts. Hug your people!
{{{{hugs}}}}It's a tough time. We went through this a little over a year ago. My mom wasn't even in good enough shape for the surgery. She was already in hospice. She did not last long after the broken hip...BUT...she was more coherent than she had been in a long time, joked around, made sure her plans about her death were going to be carried out, and she was very comfortable.

Given her condition, it was hard...and not hard...to say good-bye. I miss her every day...and cry more than I thought I would...but if I had the power I wouldn't wish her back to life because she was SOOOO tired of being sick and confused and frustrated.

This is such a hard time...but very important. (And I'm all teary again.) I wish you the grace to get through this, accepting it for what it is and for the last-minute inspirations you need to ask her lots of hard questions that eventually, you won't be able to ask again. You will cherish those interactions.

Sue

I'm thinking a lot of cusswords right now - your mom sounded delightful. And - it's your mom. I hope her determination and strength will see her - and you - through the next weeks and months. And we're here for you, always.

I'm also thinking LOTS of cusswords...that sucks pond water that she fell. May she be in the small percentage that beats the odds...after all, she has you as a daughter. Absent with leave granted...just keep us updated.

Take whatever time you need. The mother / daughter relationship is special. You will be happy that you were able to spend time with her, however long that is. Gentle hugs for you and for her

I'm sorry to hear this: I do rehab in skilled care/long term care and see lots of hip surgeries. I hope she is "weight-bearing as tolerated"?

if she gets good care she can recover, there is just so much that can go wrong. I often see a snowballing of problems such as pain pills then lead to constipation so eventually she gets laxatives and then has diarrhea but meanwhile she still has pain and doesn't get up or move around plus the medication messes with her memory so she is incontinent and then her skin gets red starts to break down and so on.

hope you find a good place!! check in when you can.

I went missing again... and my current sighting here may only be momentary (temporarily anyway). So sad to say my mom fell (in my kitchen while trying to help out) and broke her hip on Sunday. Surgery went fine this morning. Recovery sounds like a long, painful haul. Surgeon told me very few people her age with this particular fracture make it a year. Sigh... I've been touring rehabs and may be away from here again after tonight. Really just wanted to be absent WITH leave instead of without.

Thanks for all the good wishes and posts. Hug your people!
Aw Cello :-(. I'm so sorry.

Cello, best wishes for your mom. Glad you can be there for her when she needs you. Hugs!

I am so sorry to hear about your Mother's fall. Praying that she heals and her mobility is restored.

MsVee

Latest posts

Back