high PTH resolution

Georgepds

So, my PTH has been steadily rising over the last four years. Finally, last June, it exceeded the recommended upper limit on the standard blood test ( a bad thing)

I'd been taking 50k iu of D3 and 1500 mg of Ca citrate a day. Really too little Ca it now seems

Per dietician's recommendation, I doubled the daily Ca intake... after 5 months, this step has returned my PTH to mid range ( 44 pg / ml, a good thing ). D3 is still high normal on the blood test (66 down from 72 units in june)

The other recent measure was ionized Calcium, not Calcium, which is a different measure of thyroid health (4.9 mg/dl, a little above the low end of 4.7)... First time I've heard of this measure

So, for those struggling with high PTH, maybe the simple thing to do is double the calcium. If this has a downside, please let me know

So, my PTH has been steadily rising over the last four years. Finally, last June, it exceeded the recommended upper limit on the standard blood test ( a bad thing)

I'd been taking 50k iu of D3 and 1500 mg of Ca citrate a day. Really too little Ca it now seems

Per dietician's recommendation, I doubled the daily Ca intake... after 5 months, this step has returned my PTH to mid range ( 44 pg / ml, a good thing ). D3 is still high normal on the blood test (66 down from 72 units in june)

The other recent measure was ionized Calcium, not Calcium, which is a different measure of thyroid health (4.9 mg/dl, a little above the low end of 4.7)... First time I've heard of this measure

So, for those struggling with high PTH, maybe the simple thing to do is double the calcium. If this has a downside, please let me know
Actually, your D is what needs addressing. If your D is not between 80-100, it’s not high enough. Lab range is 30-100. If it’s currently 66, I would add 2-3 extra 50,000 a week and retest in 3 month, along with a retest of the PTH.

The change in calcium means the Parathyroid gland is doing its job, it’s stealing calcium from your bones to keep your calcium labs normal.

And a DexaScan if this has been going on for years.

Latest posts

Back