College admissions pressure cooker

She enrolled in Ceramics! Unfortunately, just this week got a notice from counseling that for the first semester there is a conflict between Physics and Ceramics, so I think she will be taking Metal and Glasswork before she moves on to Ceramics. Plus, she has is being more receptive to a broader set of possible campus locations. Not California just yet, but at least east coast where we have family nearby. So, she'll have more options if schools do reject her on the basis of ceramics/metal/glass. Things are looking up. :)

She enrolled in Ceramics! Unfortunately, just this week got a notice from counseling that for the first semester there is a conflict between Physics and Ceramics, so I think she will be taking Metal and Glasswork before she moves on to Ceramics. Plus, she has is being more receptive to a broader set of possible campus locations. Not California just yet, but at least east coast where we have family nearby. So, she'll have more options if schools do reject her on the basis of ceramics/metal/glass. Things are looking up. :)
Well, she has questionable timing, in that we no longer have a couple of “guest rooms“ to offer. However…we ARE only 18-22 miles from The Claremont Colleges and USC, and WAY CLOSE to the ArtCenter College of Design. (A family member I told you about earlier attended the nascent version, “Art Center School,” and became Frank Lloyd Wright’s favorite photographer and created/documented beauty for seven decades.)

That means………a coffee date?

Well, she has questionable timing, in that we no longer have a couple of “guest rooms“ to offer. However…we ARE only 18-22 miles from The Claremont Colleges and USC, and WAY CLOSE to the ArtCenter College of Design. (A family member I told you about earlier attended the nascent version, “Art Center School,” and became Frank Lloyd Wright’s favorite photographer and created/documented beauty for seven decades.)

That means………a coffee date?
I'd love to get together for a cup of coffee!!! :) Here's to hoping I can convince the kiddo to visit campus! She has finals next week, so will be off for the summer soon.

FWIW, our home is in a Usonian built in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright by Richard Barancik, who I note on this day of heroes, is the last surviving monuments man (https://www.monumentsmenandwomenfnd.org/barancik-pfc-richard-m, https://www.caths.cam.ac.uk/monuments-man).

I'd love to get together for a cup of coffee!!! :) Here's to hoping I can convince the kiddo to visit campus! She has finals next week, so will be off for the summer soon.

FWIW, our home is in a Usonian built in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright by Richard Barancik, who I note on this day of heroes, is the last surviving monuments man (https://www.monumentsmenandwomenfnd.org/barancik-pfc-richard-m, https://www.caths.cam.ac.uk/monuments-man).

You had told me about your house. I love that style. And my relative…his parents, Pedro & Rosaura, used to sell tamales and beans to the cowboys who came to town for the rodeos. One cowboy said, “Damn! Those beans are so good, you need to find a way to can them and sell them.”

And she did didn’t want to, but her husband did. It took almost two decades, but his $38 investment TRIPLED thanks to tamale and bean sales at a local Indian festival. Thing was, the gringoes were not very good at pronouncing “Rosaura,” so they decided to call the canned Mexican food something else. Anybody ever hear of Rosarita Refried Beans?

Their son was the photographer. He published his LAST book at age 95-ish. I bought a copy, called and asked for an autograph. To thank him, I sent him a copy of a letter his dad (MrRosarita) wrote at about age 15, flirting with my grandfather’s step-sister, right before he met Rosaura. He was so tickled!

And… I do NOT consider the success of this family to prove that discrimination doesn’t exist or that EVERYONE can do whatever they set their mind to. That’s because if Rosaura hadn’t grown up in a tent and if Pedro Sr had more than a third grade education and if more of the Mexican-American kids had been allowed to stay in school after eighth grade, just IMAGINE how many MORE miracles might have occured!

Also, if a tamale does not have a single whole black olive in it, it’s merely an imitation.

What a lovely gesture to send the letter. :) Not sure if it is FODMAP friendly, but maybe we should step up from coffee to a meal! You've made me hungry!

Anybody ever hear of Rosarita Refried Beans?

Their son was the photographer. He published his LAST book at age 95-ish. I bought a copy, called and asked for an autograph. To thank him, I sent him a copy of a letter his dad (MrRosarita) wrote at about age 15, flirting with my grandfather’s step-sister, right before he met Rosaura. He was so tickled!

wow, what a great story!

Spiky Sue you really need to write a book. have we talked about this before?

Latest posts

Back