My Insurance Ordeal for the DS

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Diana S., Mar 28, 2018.

k9ophile

k9ophile Well-Known Member

What Munchkin said. Your story does help. 1. It shows that with persistence one can get there with the majority of her sanity in tact. 2. Others reading this may be helped in knowing that sometimes it is extremely difficult and if they're having similar struggles, they're not alone.

Diana S. likes this.
    michelle vasey

michelle vasey Active Member

Wow lady. You have been through it. It makes me feel bad for complaining about the time. You are truly a trail blazer and I hope and pray you are doing well. I hope to hear more from you soon!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
    Diana S.

Diana S. Well-Known Member

Ha, I certainly didn’t feel like a trailblazer, I had many moments of “whyyyy are they picking on me!?!” but I knew it was only a matter of time and being a pit-bull about my resolve. Yes, it took me an eternity while I was in it, but looking back I fought the good fight and it was worth it. My story is supposed to help others avoid the time-consuming pitfalls that nabbed me, and hopefully make the journey easier for others.

Meanwhile, if you’re making this decision, it’s for the rest of your life. It’s like when you start driving, and you have a million things to remember and pay attention to and you get super overwhelmed by the enormity of it, but then it becomes routine and you make all your checks and maintenance as a matter of course. But it’s a big deal and you have to commit. Dr. Rabkin told me that this surgery is a commitment between patient and doctor. He does his part, and checks in with you, but you must do your part too. Then we all succeed, including all the rest of us who’ve had the DS and all those fighting the uphill battle to have it too.

In all my thesis-esque research and appeals letters, I found a MOUNTAIN of info about the VSG failing within 5-10 years, and the people that beat themselves up because they thought and/or doctors told them that THEY failed. The VSG was originally part one of the DS, but became separated as a stand alone procedure because of the short-term success. Over time though, it doesn’t work for most and going through a second surgery and fight and all the rest was poopy. I really wish I had known then what I know now.

I am here for you too, and happy to chat about anything you like. I am an open book, especially if it will help someone. And as a note, don’t get upset about DianaCoxDianaCox... she is brutally honest to make sure you are crystal clear. Without her help, and that of LarraLarra, I would not be on this side of the loser’s bench. I have not met more kind, generous and supportive people, and they are worth listening to. If you’re having a disconnect with what’s being said, it’s time to research the heck out of it! ;)

michelle vasey

Thanks Diane. What time is the meeting tonight?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    Diana S.

Diana S. Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I am not able to go, because it's a several hour drive and I have a Board Meeting first thing in the morning... but I believe it starts around 6 or 7pm... galaxygrrlgalaxygrrl, can you clarify for Michelle?

michelle vasey

Hi all,

I went to the support meeting last night and it was a wonderful experience. So many lovely people and stories. 3 patients with 10 year anniversaries!! Congratulations to the 2 one year anniversaries as well! Thank you to all of you for making me feel so welcome and answering my questions. It was truly inspiring.

I also had my consultation with Dr. Rabkin and walked away feeling empowered and completely confident in him and my choice of procedures. I can't wait to get through this process and schedule my surgery. Here is the latest update:

I have drafted my appeals letter to Kaiser and Diane and Larra are giving me their feedback on it. I can't thank these two enough for their time and attention with their assistance. It is a struggle but really helps to have these experts dedicate themselves to others. I hope I will be able to meet them in person some day.

I will give everyone an update after submission.

All my best,

Michelle

Admin edit for privacy issues

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    Zarabear and JackieOnLine like this.
    JackieOnLine

JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

:)

Zarabear

Zarabear Active Member

It was so great to meet you at the group.
    And a big thank you to Diana for assembling your timeline and reliving that long ordeal in the Hope of helping someone else out.

I am so thankful for this board, and Dr. Rabkins group for all the support over the last almost 2 years. I'm a year out and cant believe how far I've come!

I'll be cheering both of you on, every step of the way. ♡♡♡♡

Diana S. and JackieOnLine like this.
    michelle vasey

Great to meet

michelle vasey

Great to meet you too and I would love to keep in touch outside of the forum if you are up for it. Let me know.