Dad is finally moving in with us

DianaCox

Bad Cop
My Xmas present last night was my father’s ladyfriend finally making the travel arrangements for my father to move to AZ to come live with us - over 3 years after we moved here into a house with a suitable room for Dad, and not upgrading our RV and traveling for a couple of years as we had originally planned, because the ladyfriend insisted he was getting to be more trouble than he was worth (my words, but her sentiments) due to cognitive impairment.

However, every time her deadline came, she extended it another few months, messing with our plans. As she started deteriorating herself (going blind, mobility problems), her tolerance for his memory issues decreased (he was doing the shopping, cooking, being her companion); however, at the same time, her own cognitive issues - in particular loss of social filters, resulting in her already irritating superiority issues and self-importance being freely and frequently expressed - were making Dad miserable. When he forgot things, she berated him or got condescending; with service people, especially waitstaff, she is downright nasty at times, which he finds excruciatingly embarrassing. I got lots of phone calls from him during which I had to calm him down from being either or both of angry and crying. But he felt responsible for taking care of her, even though she had refused to marry him or make any promises about taking care of him after 15+ years together. (She has money, while he literally has nothing but Social Security and a VA pension.)

Over the last year, it was becoming clear that she needed to move into assisted living soon. Our original plans were that when we left California in mid-July after spending a couple of months away from the AZ summer heat, we would be taking him with us. She then reneged. Then he was going to come in August. Then early September so he could go in an RV trip with us. Then October. Then before Thanksgiving.

His ladyfriend finally put her condo on the market and had a deposit, and bought her place in a fancy assisted living facility (that would cost her money - THAT SHE HAS - to keep him with her). He was supposed to move here in December 11th. By then, I had made plans to have a family reunion the weekend of December 14th - my sister bought plane tickets, the kids had made arrangements, my brothers agreed to drive from LA - and then the sale of the condo fell through, and Dad suddenly didn’t want to leave. Normally, the ladyfriend makes all the decisions for him, and everything was already arranged (including a companion to fly with him who she was paying for, even though my son wanted to do it), but this time, she “deferred” to his wishes. After much wrangling (and Charles and me cussing and fuming offline), they finally agreed to have him come for 5 days, fly back, and come back here by the end of the year.

When he was here, it became clear that my fears had been substantially realized - Dad is considerably worse than he was last summer. He misplaced his hearing aids. He could not remember that we keep the drinks in a second fridge. He got confused about where his room was in our 2100 sq ft house. But we’re hoping that the extreme stress he is currently under is part of the reason for the exacerbation of his issues, and that he will improve when he gets here.

Family pic:

Dad agreed to return by the end of the year - my reason for this deadline (in addition to the concerns about how the stress was wearing on him) is that we have a perfect RV trip planned with our RV club January 8-13 - we’re going to the Lake Havasu Balloon Festival, only 180 miles away, and only 5 days, so a good test of whether RV travel will be enjoyable for him.

More infuriating deflection and delay has gone on for the past 10 days, but the date was finally set last night, under intense pressure by me. Dad will finally be moving here January 2nd.

Dad will be 89 in April. We will keep him here with us as long as it is feasible and safe for him. He has VA benefits, so when we can’t manage his care, we will place him in a facility near us where we can intensively monitor his care.

I’m looking forward to this for a number of reasons. I want him away from his ladyfriend, who is incapable of treating him kindly when she loses patience with his issues. He is also still mostly himself, and we have been roommates in the past and he is a mostly cheerful agreeable person, which hasn’t changed (I would have never been able to tolerate my mother in my home again, as she was the opposite). And I think that this will be good for Charles - he has been somewhat ill for the last couple of years, and now has severe liver issues; he has become more sedentary than he needs to be, and I’m hoping that helping to take care of Dad - who will need exercise, and there are many classes available for both of them here - will get him up and around too.

Or not - it’s a crapshoot, but I’m thinking positively.

Happy holidays to all!

Last edited:
Dad will be 89 in April. We will keep him here with us as long as it is feasible and safe for him. He has VA benefits, so when we can’t manage his care, we will place him in a facility near us where we can intensively monitor his care.
Check and see if the Veteran’s home or what might be called an “Old Soldiers Home” near you has vacancies when the time is right: https://dvs.az.gov/state-veteran-home-phoenix

I assume that's him beside you - who is everybody else? well, I recognize you and Charles, although I'd forgotten he is so tall.

He is also still mostly himself, and we have been roommates in the past snd he is a mostly cheerful agreeable person, which hasn’t changed
so good for everyone - and I can see that in his face. what a good photo of everyone.
I look forward to hearing he is with you Jan 2.

My brothers are behind me (Eric is 6’4”) and my sister is behind Dad. My daughter is next to me and my son is on the far right. Charles isn’t in the picture.

He’s in this one, in the hat next to my son. The other people are my daughter’s husband and his parents, who also live in our community.

He’s in this one, in the hat next to my son. The other people are my daughter’s husband and his parents, who also live in our community.
Oh, OK. I love both pix - it's great for your Daughter to have so much family so close (I assume!)
do your brothers live in LA and are visiting?

Nope - as much as we wish they would move here, my daughter and their son bought a house in Gilroy (southern end of the Bay Area), and were only here for the weekend. My son too. My brothers live in LA and we’re also only here for the weekend.

Last edited:
I’ve put my foot down so many times over the last 3 years, I wore out my shoes. But Dad kept demurring, even though LF kept bitching about how it would need to be soon, and then moving the date. She used him until there was not much left to use - what I’m getting is in some ways the husk of my dad. Apparently, he got lost in his own neighborhood a few days ago - that may have been the last straw for LF, who is busy preparing to downsize and move, and has to arrange shipping his stuff too.

There are a lot of dementia doctors here in Heaven’s Waiting Room. I’m hoping between the less stress and some better medical treatment (I believe he has untreated normotensive hydrocephalus which for some reason his doctors in Menlo Park decided to not even try to fully diagnose much less treat), and having the ability to meet and interact with new people of his OWN choosing, he will have a little recovery of function before the inevitable further decline.

He comes from long-lived people. Unfortunately, his mother died of dementia at 91, and his younger sisters have it too - the one a year younger than him is pretty much a healthy vegetable who doesn’t recognize anyone and can’t speak anymore. (Her daughter, my cousin who is 4 years younger than me, is in hospice, dying of metastatic lung cancer - she didn’t smoke - and in a way I’m glad my always very emotionally unstable aunt will never know her daughter died before her.)

My mother also had some sort of dementia at the end. I’m already worried. The scientists have just a few years to get this cured!

She used him until there was not much left to use - what I’m getting is in some ways the husk of my dad. Apparently, he got lost in his own neighborhood a few days ago
Glad you will be in charge of his care very soon and I am so hoping that with that and less stress he will show significant improvement. :5grouphug:

I hear you on the worry! I had WLS because my Dad had his first heart attack when he was only 48 and I was fat like him. meanwhile, my Mom got dementia at only 71.

I’m hoping he will like RVing with us. We also bought it with him in mind. There is a queen air bed that is comfortable, and the bathroom is between the bedroom and the front room, with doors on either side and the toilet room has its own door. Since I ride on the bed anyway, he can use the passenger seat. If he needs to go to the bathroom while Charles is driving, I can walk up to the front and help him back. There’s a lot of things to grab onto when the slides are in too.

I’ve been looking forward to this little 5 day trip for a long time. I want to give him some fun with us before it’s too late.

It's wonderful you can do this for your dad, and I think you'll find it rewarding as you're going into it with clear eyes. I ended up being a mostly full time caregiver for my dad his last year or so, and he had similar issues. After a terminal diagnosis a few months before the end, things got a bit heavy as we decided no hospital, just die at home as comfortably as possible. Being with him as there was increasingly less of "him", were clear times we could make sure we said whatever we felt may have gone unsaid, or just needed repeating, and many profound moments that mean the world to me.

Your dad is a lucky man to have such a loving daughter, and no doubt your sibs will also be grateful knowing he is in such caring hands.

Oh, and what Liz said. My dad was a ww2 vet (Okinawa) with bronze star for valor, and the VA never got to our request for three years. He had always just used his medical insurance from his job (I'd kill for bennies that continue my wages and insurance into retirement!) but near the end we were finding we needed to utilize his VA benefits as wel, but it takes more years than he had to get in the system. He'd been dead for nearly a year when the VA finally sent a letter, and even then only saying that reveiwing his case would still be delayed due to a backlog. Make sure your dad is already in the pipeline for whatever help he may need, even if it may be years from now.

Last edited:
Sports per se are not possible. He is almost 89, and walks slowly and with a very short stride. I don’t think he could play ping pong, much less play on a court. And the risk of a fall is far too great.

It's wonderful you can do this for your dad, and I think you'll find it rewarding as you're going into it with clear eyes. I ended up being a mostly full time caregiver for my dad his last year or so, and he had similar issues. After a terminal diagnosis a few months before the end, things got a bit heavy as we decided no hospital, just die at home as comfortably as possible. Being with him as there was increasingly less of "him", were clear times we could make sure we said whatever we felt may have gone unsaid, or just needed repeating, and many profound moments that mean the world to me.

Your dad is a lucky man to have such a loving daughter, and no doubt your sibs will also be grateful knowing he is in such caring hands.

Oh, and what Liz said. My dad was a ww2 vet (Okinawa) with bronze star for valor, and the VA never got to our request for three years. He had always just used his medical insurance from his job (I'd kill for bennies that continue my wages and insurance into retirement!) but near the end we were finding we needed to utilize his VA benefits as wel, but it takes more years than he had to get in the system. He'd been dead for nearly a year when the VA finally sent a letter, and even then only saying that reveiwing his case would still be delayed due to a backlog. Make sure your dad is already in the pipeline for whatever help he may need, even if it may be years from now.

I’m hoping that, since he’s already in the VA system in CA, he will have priority. But that needs to be addressed once he gets here.

I’m also hoping that a less institutional and more local option (group home?) will be available when the time comes. The downtown Phoenix VA facility is a schlep from our house.

Latest posts

Back