Bowel prep tips anyone?

Have you been to any support meeting in Carmel? We haven't been in a while, bad winter and just busy but plan on geting back soon.

No. But my roommate has her first meeting with Dr. Inman later this month. I stayed south for my surgery because I had no support to make it north. I can support her to go to Inman ;)

OK so tomorrow at 3PM I am supposed to have another try at the colonoscopy. I ask about Suprep or Moviprep and the nurse says the Dr. does not order them??

The orders I got this time: 2 day prep since I failed the last try.....
Liquid diet starting at 11AM of day one.

Day one: 3 PM 4 Bisacodyl tabs
4PM Drink one 10oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate
7PM Drink one 10oz bottle of Magnesium Citrate

Day two: 3PM 4 Bisacodyl tabs (I started this days prep early 12 NOON)
4PM Mix a whole bottle of Miralax with 64 ox Gatorade and drink half of it. (1PM)
7PM 4 Bisacodyl tabs (4PM)
8PM drink the rest of the Miralax/Gatorade. (5PM)

Day three: Nothing to eat or drink after 6AM the day of the procedure.

So the evening after the first day I did have 2 looser than normal bowel movements. Then nothing until I was done with day two then had one normal movement. after I finished with everything this evening.

I called the Dr's office right before they closed today (day two) and a nurse told me to take the last dose of Bisacodyl with hot coffee or tea, I did that with no results. I called after I completed everything and left a message to see if there is anything else I can do because I don't want to have to do this yet again (that Magnesium Citrate gets tough after a while)! I am waiting for a call back but if they don't call I may have to cancel tomorrow because I am not going up there again unless I am sure that I am cleaned out this time.

Is there any good reason that this would not work for me or for DS'ers in general? I wonder if we don't absorb the Magnesium Citrate correctly. I know others have said we are slower in this process but this is a longer than normal prep and still NOTHING close to what needs to happen. I am still hopeful but at this time it looks doubtful this is going to work.

I ask for one of them and the nurse says that he dose;nt proscribe them any longer. The Dr called back and said to take 4 more Bisacodyl tabs & 2 more bottles of Magnesium Citrate early in the morning if I still need them. If it don't work this time I am firing this Dr and finding another!

I ask for one of them and the nurse says that he dose;nt proscribe them any longer. The Dr called back and said to take 4 more Bisacodyl tabs & 2 more bottles of Magnesium Citrate early in the morning if I still need them. If it don't work this time I am firing this Dr and finding another!
Just because he doesn't, does not mean he CAN'T..

You are correct and I should have insisted! I had another WASTED 3 day prep and colonoscopy. This time I thought I was cleaned out, I was much clearer than last time. The Dr. said that he did get a lot of it done with no problem but couldn't finish because the farther he went the less clear it became.

Let me tell you what I took, this is over 3 days:
16 Bisacodyl tabs

4 bottles of Magnesium Citrate

One whole bottle of Miralax mixed with 64 of of Gatorade

LOTS OF WATER!

Clear liquid diet from Wednesday 11AM until the procedure on Friday at 3PM

After finishing the recommended program on Thursday evening I STILL was not prepped so I put in a call to the Dr. He called back and said to add another 2 bottles of the Mag Citrate and 4 more Bisacodyl Tabs EARLY on Friday morning (included in the numbers above).

Well it FINELY started working around 5 AM of Friday and was getting mostly clear by the time that I went to the hospital.
I did some research and found that the Bisacodyl tabs are enteric coated and with our shortened system may not be dissolving completely? Also the Mag Citrate works by drawing water into the intestines rather than after it enters the colon and think that this may also be a problem for us DS'ers. Since the Mag Citrate was added to this prep (not included the last time) and had been talked about in this thread I was sure it would work this time!

I printed out a picture of our DS and a explanation of what I thought may be going on. I showed it to the Dr. and he did take the time to talk to me and said that I could be correct but he does have other patients that are a "normie" and have the same hard time prepping as I do.

I told him what other DS'ers were having luck with and he did say that he would order what ever I wanted.
He did say that he should "take another look" but that there was no hurry.......

Last edited:
Oh dear, you poor thing :-(. I hope you at least got good happy drugs for your sedative.

Next time INSIST on a different prep. If the person guarding the phone gives you trouble, get ugly. That's just ridiculous.

OK, I got a call and they want me to schedule another colonoscopy. I said that if it did not work last time I was firing this Dr and getting another, however I printed out a good pic of our DS, what my concerns were (mainly that the prep he ordered drew water into our shortened intestines rather than the colon). He did take the time to look at it and said that may be correct but he has patients that just do not clean out well with some preps. He did say that he would order what ever I wanted if I had a preference. I mentioned Moviprep and he said that it has a strong metallic taste and my Ins may not pay for it, cost is around $75.

I was willing to pay but then last week I heard from our daughter-in-law asking what prep failed for me. She said her mother was scheduled and took the Moviprep and it failed to clean her out well enough! Now I am at a loss as to weather to stay with this Dr ( I really don't feel that it was his fault) and what prep to take, I mean if you read what I did for the last prep it was WAY over what most people need. The colonoscopys that I had before my DS were prepped by Golytely. While it was nasty and a lot to drink if I thought that I could drink what is required I would just ask for it........

Drink one 8-ounce glass (240 milliliters) of the mixture every 10 minutes until your watery stool is clear and has no solid matter. Most people need to drink 3 to 4 liters of solution.

I will call them back to talk this over in a day or two, today I had a kidney stone attack but it was the FASTEST that I ever passed a stone. It started around 10 am and by 5 pm the stone(S) were passed and I was feeling great! Anyone what to hear that story?

I am still pre-op. I just had a colonoscopy back in Oct for another reason. I did the moviprep. I am in IN and BCBS and they did pay for it. I did not think it tasted metallic at all. Are you familiar with Joy, lemon scented, dishwashing liquid? To me it tasted like that. (Not saying why I know what it tastes like, it obviously didn't help since I still swear like a sailor, lol).

How about taking the order to the pharmacy and seeing whether it goes through or not? If it doesn't go through, give it back and go try something else.

How about taking the order to the pharmacy and seeing whether it goes through or not? If it doesn't go through, give it back and go try something else.
I could do that but now hearing that this prep has failed sometimes I am skeptical.......

I could do that but now hearing that this prep has failed sometimes I am skeptical.......

And you believe everything everyone says because.....?

And you're going back to the same doc who screwed you up twice because....?

And you're once again refusing to take the advice of people who have walked the exact same path before you because.....?

Nah, never mind. Go listen to that doc and to whoever else.

And you believe everything everyone says because.....?

And you're going back to the same doc who screwed you up twice because....?

And you're once again refusing to take the advice of people who have walked the exact same path before you because.....?

Nah, never mind. Go listen to that doc and to whoever else.

1. Who says I believe everything that I am told? What I said was that my Daughter-in-laws mother took the Moviprep and it did not work well for her.

2. Not sure that the doc screwed anything up, some preps just don't work for some people........Remember not everything is DS related (though this may be)? The doc was attentive and looked at the info that I printed out, if he blew that off I would have moved on!

3. In this very thread there is one DS'er who had the same prep as I was given and it worked very well for her.

4. The doc said that he will order whatever prep that I feel will work for me. I came here asking for advice and I may very well take your advice and even add in those gummy bears next time, happy?

Bowel preps take "way too long" to work on me, too. Not as long as you, but because of the C Diff, I recently had to have a few colonoscopies and, so far, regardless of product, what is supposed to start working withon an hour or two seens to take many hours.

I recall that the last go-round I started the chemicals at 11:00 a.m. the day before and it was all SLOWLY starting to work around midnight or so, and it kept on working in the wee smalls and then...because of the procedure I was having, I needed to take Lomotil/immodium an hour or two before the procedure...just as the bowel prep was all starting to work...which was way stupid.

Latest posts

Back