Colonscopy Prep Longer for DS Patients?

KathrynK

I am freaking out about my colonoscopy. It is being done by a bariatric surgeon in the hospital, as advised by my original surgeon. He wants 2 days of a liquid diet, which is twice what others have to do. This includes an entire bottle of magnesium citrate and 14 packets of Miralax. I am spending the night in a hotel near the hospital, because I don't think traveling for an hour after all that prep would be wise.
I read that Dr Keshishian requires 4-5 days liquid diet for DS patients before a colonoscopy. I should have started today by that logic, since the procedure is on Saturday. This is from his website:
"It has been noted that the patients after the duodenal switch operation require a longer than usual time for the bowel prep. We recommend patients going on a liquid diet for 4-5 days before the planned procedure. I know it sounds unexpected that we recommend patients after the duodenal switch to be on liquid diet. You may also want the physician doing the colonoscopy be aware that you may need more aggressive and longer bowel prep."
Based on my colonic output on days with a high fat diet, wouldn't it be better to eat a high fat diet for the next 2 days, then go on 2 days of liquid diet? Experiences with extended bowel prep, anyone?

That's crazy. DS altered nothing in our COLONS!

Geez, when my next colonoscopy is scheduled 8 years from now I think I'll conveniently forget to mention the DS until I am on the table.

I used SuPrep last time - smaller volume and VERY effective. I only took half of the second dose the morning of, and was shitting clear and had a good clean colon.

Two full days on all liquids seemed excessive until I read Dr K's 4-5 days of liquids. Good to hear that a clean scan after DS is possible without that!

Rereading your post @KathrynK I just caught that your colonoscopy is being done by a bariatric surgeon who, in the course of bariatric surgery, isn't even dealing with colons. Again, WHY? Your colon is just like a non-DSer's colon. Should any polyps or otherwise be visualized, they're the same as those in a non-DSer. Why not just have a colorectal surgeon do it? (A lot of gastros do these too but the colorectal surgeon would be the one treating anything found.)

I haven't had a colonoscopy since DS but a month ago did have to take bowel prep stuff for severe opioid-induced constipation after surgery. Certainly cleaned me out!

I had my annual blood work with my bariatric surgeon last month and asked if there were any special concerns for DS patients undergoing colonoscopy. He said he prefers if it is done by one of the surgeons in his group and he sent me to that surgeon at the same visit. The doctor doing it is an asst. professor of "GI, Metabolic, and Bariatric" surgery. He has a research based practice in a teaching hospital, so it may be he wants to look at an aspect of the large bowel a decade after surgery. I didn't ask. It may also be something that he knows about my anatomy or my surgery that would lead him to recommend this. I jumped at the offer because it seemed safer than letting someone who hadn't seen a DS gut do it and I am glad it is being done in the hospital because of my hypoglycemia. I didn't realize I was signing up for a 2-day liquid diet, instead of the 1-day most people get.

Our transit time is faster than normies and we didn't have anything altered in our colons. What am I missing here?

I have problems with hypoglycemia too. The rapid diarrhea from colon prep can cause a hypo attack so be prepared.

No personal experience yet, but dh who is also a DSer did require longer than normal.

I plan on doing a two day clean out when my turn comes around again in 2019.

My previous bowel speed was high. My new speed is higher. I think I could prep in four or six hours, tops ;)

I have to go back in ~18 months (and every two years thereafter)

Not looking forward to it

Latest posts

Back