Bowel prep tips anyone?

Got good drugs, too :clapping:. About the time I was thinking I was sufficiently recovered to consider doing a little schoolwork (math), I clicked on a link I would ordinarily NEVER touch and spent the next hour-plus getting rid of malware and accidentally installed bullshit programs. Yup, not a time to try to make any decisions or write anything for a grade.....

My husband did that a few weeks ago. Took me a few hours to get his laptop running again. He felt pretty dumb, some of those sites are damn tricky!

I wish someone could go over to PB and clue Butch (pktwatch) about this board and this thread, or at least tell him to ask for Suprep or Moviprep - smaller volume than 64 gross oz of whatever he's being given, I think.

These are the Suprep instructions (I drank beef broth, not water):
http://www.suprepkit.com/Collateral/Documents/Suprep/SUPREP PI-Med 8-10.pdf

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION ------------------------------------------------
Dilute the solution prior to use. See FULL PRESCRIBING INFORMATION for complete dosing and administration instructions (2)
Split Dose (2-Day) Regimen
• Evening before colonoscopy: dilute one bottle with water to a total volume of 16 ounces (up to the fill line) and drink the entire amount.
• Drink 32 ounces of water over the next hour.
• Next morning: repeat both steps using the second bottle.
• Complete preparation at least 2 hours before colonoscopy or as directed by physician.

Magnesium citrate (Citroma [U.S.], Citromag [Canada], etc) is a bowel cleanser that can be bought OTC. It comes in a liquid form. Magnesium citrate works by pulling water from the body into the gut to help clean it out. It's less expensive than most other bowel preps. However, it's not as safe or effective as other bowel preps and for this reason, is less frequently used.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/researchers-evaluate-new-bowel-prep-approaches

http://www.gastroendonews.com/download/BB1164_GEN0112_WM.pdf

I was surprised at how effective the split dose technique was. I was so nervous that stuff would not move quickly, but while I may have helped it along with the gummy bears, it still was impressively effective and a fraction as miserable as my other experiences were. I see in the first article that the results were quite good with the split dose of mag citrate as well.

What's the volume on Suprep? It was one liter at each dose on the Moviprep.

I wish someone could go over to PB and clue Butch (pktwatch) about this board and this thread, or at least tell him to ask for Suprep or Moviprep - smaller volume than 64 gross oz of whatever he's being given, I think.

Done and thanks for this. I'm due for a follow-up and the thought of having to use Golytley has had me putting it off.

The Suprep was still nasty - tastes like the worst version of cherry cough syrup, which I otherwise like - but the volume was the major thing - each of the split doses is only16 oz (the 8 oz bottle diluted with 8 oz water), plus extra in the form of anything water-based (I chose beef broth as it covered up the burpy-cherry-bitter flavor the best, plus it tastes like food). And the next morning, I was running essentially clear after the first half of the second dose, so I was given permission to not drink the rest.

I have never - before or after the DS -been able to get down a GoLytely or contrast media prep without throwing up - once my brain/stomach think what's going in is grossness in a large volume, my gag reflex is on high alert, plus I guess my pylorus clamps down, nothing moves out of my stomach, and after a certain volume is reached, I barf. The Suprep was small enough volume-wise that I could get it down and keep it down, and the extra broth was not difficult to get down afterwards, because it didn't gag me going down.

Well I quit drinking Golytely when I throw up and pray that my prep is enough. So far it has been. My dad died of widely metastatic cancer from a colon primary at age 50. I've had a few benign polyps, yet it still concerns me. Thanks also for the warning that the Suprep tastes awful, so I will at least be expecting it. Anything has to be better than that huge volume of Golytely.

Sounds like the Suprep and Moviprep are similar in volume. I put half a lemon Crystal Light pouch in each liter, which helped a little, I think. Next time I do it (hopefully not for five years--that soon due to family risk factors), I think I would try straight lemon or lime juice, no sweetener. The sourness of the pickle/sauerkraut juice chaser REALLY cleared my palate.

Thanks to brooklyngirl I found this forum & thread! Here are my instructions. I will not have a problem drinking the 64 OZ of mix because I do it over 2 days. I checked online the price of Moviprep and it is near $90, my ins MAY pay for it or most of it but I am not sure that local pharmancys stock it as this is not what is ordered here........

Thoughts?

Attachments

• prep.jpg
    prep.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi Butch! Welcome!

Even increasing the magnification, I can't quite read what you're supposed to do, but 32 oz at a time doesn't sound that bad (the Suprep is 16 oz + 32 oz water or broth). I'm not sure from what I could see (some kind of detergent pills plus Miralax??) from what you posted whether I've ever seen a prep that doesn't include some sort of electrolyte-based draws-fluid-into-the-gut stuff (e.g., mag cit, sulfates), but obviously, they think that will work.

Mix 8OZ of Miralax with 64OZ of Gaterade.

Afternoon on the day before: 4 Bisacodyl tabs then a hour later half of the Miralax mix. GasX later if needed.

Early Morning the day of: 4 Bisacodyl tabs and the rest of theMirlax mixed with Gatorade.

I have done the Golytely and it is not fun!

My procedure is in a hospital under general anesthesia and not until 1:30PM

Latest posts

Back