So...BOWEL PREP!! Vote here!

Spiky Bugger

@Larra said I'm adorable, so here's an adorable question.

Can I start the laxative(s) part of my bowel prep early?

My directions say that I do two bottles of Mag Citrate, one at 6:00 and the other at 10:00 pm. WHY? Do they really need to have me up all night shitting my guts out? Is there something WRONG with being clean and shiny and just EMPTY by old people bedtime?

And I'm supposed to take the Ducolax between the two doses of Mag Citrate. Uhm...the box says it takes tbe Ducolax 6-12 hours to work. Really...I do NOT need to stay up all night exhausting myself with a laxative that will start working between 2:00 am and a half hour AFTER my check in time at the hospital.

Tell you what. I thnk I need to take the Ducolax now...1:30 p.m. And the Mag Citrate at say, 2:00 and 6:00 p.m.

Whaddayall think?

TMI Warning: I followed my directions, same as yours, and regretted it. I'm pretty sure my doc wasn't pleased yet he was kind enough not to say anything. Let's just say I wasn't as cleaned out as I could have been. Doc came in to give me his impression, smiling and kind. Then he left me to get dressed. I was in a puddle if feces tinged liquid.

I would have rather listened to a growling stomach than...well, I think you get the idea.

Last edited:
I think it works more powerfully on our shorter guts. It did take some time after the first dose to work, but when it started, oh my. I found I was repeatedly awakened by the need to poop, and slept very fitfully. I wish I could have figured out a sleeping position on the john, with a pillow on the sink. It was that bad. Make sure you have zinc oxide (diaper cream) because the stuff burns, and a towel on the bed under your butt for leakage.

It makes sense to start earlier in the day, but I don't think you'll sleep better, since the cleansing took about 15 hours after the first dose. There are warnings about people being sent home because they didn't prepare properly because some residue was left, so they had to do it again.

Have someone bring food to the place for afterwards. My genius husband thought they'd call him when I was done, even though I told him to pick me up at 10 am. All I got was a package of crackers.

The SuPrep worked as advertised, as I recall. I bottle the evening before, which did its dirty tricks for a few hours; then up at 4 or 6 (they are equally horrifying hours to me) to take the second bottle.

But that information is too late to help you.

I began at 2:20 p.m. And did not poop at all until 1:30 a.m. Told my GI doc, "Next time I have diarrhea, I'm taking mag citrate."

He laughed.

In hosp now. Procedures to start in about 17 minutes. If all goes well. (Does that ever happen?)

How did it go? So to speak ...

Just killing off the headache. So far:

Esophagitis--the reflux IS causing damage...isn't advanced...doesn't see Barrett's...test results next week. Probably need to go back to 30 mg Prevacid Solutabs (last Rx from PCP was 15 mg) and probably add an H2 blocker at bedtime.

Colon--mostly look okay, but he took multiple samples for biopsy. Trying to rule out microscopic colitis. If positive, then the other dx's (IBS-D, SIBO) no longer apply. If negative, we're back to the IBS-D and SIBO, and treat that.

Thanks for asking.

PS--procedure was delayed for a minute or two, as I told them about Sean Spicer and what happens with pardons...but we cannot discuss that here...they had been working and didn't have any news info.

How did it go? So to speak ...

Not IDEAL results, actually. But coulda been lots worse, right? Awaiting test results. More specifically:

EGD
•Normal proximal esophagus and mid esophagus
•Esophagitis seen in the GE junction. Multiple biopsies taken.
•A hiatus hernia was found in the esophagus. Z-line gastric folds at 39 cm, crura at 41 cm.
•Gastritis was found in the stomach. Multiple biopsies taken.
•S/p bariatric status to stomach, appearance of sleeve gastrectomy.
•Normal pylorus.
•Unremarkable duodenal-enteric anastomosis for duodenal switch.

and

Colonoscopy
•Slight erythema in terminal ilium. Multiple biopsies taken.
•Mild diverticulosis found in the sigmoid colon.
•Overall unremarkable mucosa in the colon, no obvious colitis. Multiple biopsies taken to evaluate for microscopic colitis.
•Internal hemorrhoids found in the rectum. (But my mom was warned about that possibility a little over 70 years ago...lol)

Again...not ideal, coulda been worse and now I have documentation on why I can't bend over and get stuff out of low cabinets.

Signed,
The Acid Factory Lady

PS--lots of photos!!

I think it works more powerfully on our shorter guts. It did take some time after the first dose to work, but when it started, oh my. I found I was repeatedly awakened by the need to poop, and slept very fitfully. I wish I could have figured out a sleeping position on the john, with a pillow on the sink. It was that bad. Make sure you have zinc oxide (diaper cream) because the stuff burns, and a towel on the bed under your butt for leakage.

It makes sense to start earlier in the day, but I don't think you'll sleep better, since the cleansing took about 15 hours after the first dose. There are warnings about people being sent home because they didn't prepare properly because some residue was left, so they had to do it again.

Have someone bring food to the place for afterwards. My genius husband thought they'd call him when I was done, even though I told him to pick me up at 10 am. All I got was a package of crackers.

I FORGOT about food and all I got was crackers...and juice. We left and stopped at Starbucks. Protein box...but he eats the bread part. And MoonCheese. I got a bag of MoonCheese.

Latest posts

Back