Yes, we're stupid - but now what? Any RVers here?

It is good to camp close to home for a couple of tries. Or, at least near a town with supplies. A few years ago, we had to have our 23 foot toy-hauler, two 4 wheelers a Ford F250 diesel (busted transmission), 3 men over 6 feet tall, me and a one gassy bulldog towed from Sheridan, Montana all the way back to Idaho Falls. We were way up in the mountains and burned out the transmission after getting the toy-hauler stuck on a muddy hill. Camping is always an adventure.
HOLY SHIT :-O. Now that was one hell of a ride I bet. Where were you camped? Up around the reservoir?

Not sure how I missed this thread previously, but you all are giving me camping accommodation envy. We do it old school style with tents, though I do insist on an air mattress. Happy adventures to you!!!!

We were on some friends land. They had 100 acres just outside of Sheridan.

I actually know where this is, since my Mom & I took a camping trip in The Big Horns back years ago (driving from her home in Minnesota). that was my only real camping trip as an adult and I'm so glad I have that memory.

Hilary, I think tents are a great idea and with the proper equiptment (matress for sure!) you can be comfortable.

I would like to try it again but not alone, I think.

Don't believe the hype on RV specific toilet paper. Trust me on this. We have had multiple campers, 5 th wheels and truck campers. Poop goes in then you dump it out. Don't sweat it. Best advice I have is buy quality septic treatment. TST brand seems to be the best we have found. Just double dose and all is good.

I actually know where this is, since my Mom & I took a camping trip in The Big Horns back years ago (driving from her home in Minnesota). that was my only real camping trip as an adult and I'm so glad I have that memory.

Hilary, I think tents are a great idea and with the proper equiptment (matress for sure!) you can be comfortable.

I would like to try it again but not alone, I think.

Are you thinking of Sheridan, MT or Sheridan, WY?

LOL We're talking about Sheridan, MT--Ruby Valley of Madison County. When you mentioned the Big Horns, I suspected you were elsewhere :). That's wonderful country, too, though. Some of my family are from there.

OK, we're back from our trip - we need to start thinking about what we need to buy for the RV for our first practice run!

AFTER I sleep in my own bed for a few days - both hotel beds were not very comfortable.

Memory foam is HOT - and I'm a hot sleeper - but I need to make sure there is some sort of cushy surface. We have a Comfortaire mattress we use at home.

Maybe something like an air-filled camping pad on top? Anything to avoid a princess and the pea situation, I say! http://www.rei.com/search?query=camping pads

It's interesting to me that you are a hot sleeper. For me, one of the most unexpected post-DS effects was that I went from being a person who was always too hot to someone who is always cold. I assumed that this difference in thermal regulation was caused by weight loss and that being newly "cold-blooded" would be fairly universal amongst DS'ers.

I literally have goosebumps on my skin and shiver when the ambient temperature is 70 degrees and I don sweaters to go to the beach in 80 plus degree weather to fight the breeze. The change has been particularly dramatic for me. I have a condition called hypohidrosis which means that I lack the capacity to really sweat - so my body *can't* cool itself down properly and will overheat in conditions where normal people would be just fine. Pre-DS I had to be extremely vigilant to stave off heat exhaustion. Now, it seems that there's no possibility of that! I guess it's true that YMMV!!!

Anyway, happy camping. Sounds like a wonderful adventure ahead!

Last edited:
I was the opposite - pre-DS, I was almost always too cold. Freezing in bed - nose running and fingers and toes numb from the chill at not very extreme temps. Now, I'm more likely to be HOT - and I'm solidly post-menopausal. In particular, having even a small amount of alcohol makes me sweat. Weird, huh? In my case, perhaps my DS revved my metabolism a bit?

Regarding the air mattresses - I'm thinking a combo of two air mattresses (which can be adjusted for each side) and a foam topper might replicate the Comfortaire mattress we have on our bed at home. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back