What happens when we get old?

No kids, so I'm another one that says to marry younger.

The last 3 out of 4 people I know that went into care facilities, died of neglect.

#1 my grandmother died when they gave her a sedative to make her sleep through the night, that was specifically contraindicated with the med she was taking for fluid around her heart. She died the first night they gave it to her.

#2 my friend died when she got a blockage at the top of her throat (which is apparently common) but rather than doing what was supposed to be a simple procedure to open it, they waited, causing a second blockage further down, making the procedure no longer an option, and she starved. I only partially understood what happened, but the circumstances made it much harder on her loved ones.

#3 was recent, and we were just told she died of dehydration. This person was younger, somewhat healthier, and her loved ones are puzzled how this happened. I'm not. I'm at the point that I think things like this are the ways we go, unless we have an advocate there fighting all the time.

# the fourth person that isn't dead, only went in to recover from knee surgery. She was fairly young.

I know I'm a Debby Downer, but I think you have to appoint someone to be your advocate, and make sure all your medical info is easily accessible, and understood to them if you are concerned.

OK, in theory you shouldn't be dying of starvation or dehydration ever for god's sake - how can someone not notice this?!

we can do better than this, dammit. :angry4:

Latest posts

Back