what are you reading?

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I just finished a re-read of Anne of Green Gables for a goodreads group and enjoyed it. not sure what's next for fiction.

I listen to audio books from the library while I'm exercising and currently listening to Spontaneous Happiness. it's better than it sounds, all about lifestyle changes and other ways to help with depression.

for some reason I only like non-fiction when I'm exercising.

what are you reading?

I think she is brilliant.
I read Nickled and Dimed which I totally identified with since I used to work as a hotel maid, and Bright-Sided, How Positive Thinking is Undermining America.

so I need to get that one!

Read Hillbilly Elegy. Just finished it. The whole time I was thinking, wow, this guy wrote a book about my father's family! If you like Nickel and Dimed you will like this one too!

Read Hillbilly Elegy. Just finished it. The whole time I was thinking, wow, this guy wrote a book about my father's family! If you like Nickel and Dimed you will like this one too!

I didn't understand why he thought we needed to know about his family. As in, I didn't get why he thought it was anything beyond mostly normal.

I just finished a re-read of Anne of Green Gables for a goodreads group and enjoyed it. not sure what's next for fiction.

I listen to audio books from the library while I'm exercising and currently listening to Spontaneous Happiness. it's better than it sounds, all about lifestyle changes and other ways to help with depression.

for some reason I only like non-fiction when I'm exercising.

what are you reading?

If I tell you, you will have to move the thread to R&R.

Anyway, fairly recently finished:
The Simple Truth, David Baldacci;
Fire and Fury, Inside the Trump White House, Michael Wolff;
It's Even Worse Than You Think, David Cay Johnston;
The Fallen, David Baldacci;
The Truth About Trump, Michael D'Antonio;
From the Corner of the Oval, Beck Dorey Stein;
Born Trump, Emily Jane Fox;
Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers, Dav Pilkey;

Still reading:
Fear, Trump in the White House, Bob Woodward;

On deck:
Facts and Fears, James R. Clapper;
The Soul of America, Jon Meacham,
Рussian Roulette, Michael Isikoff and David Corn,
(The Cyrillic letter that is pronounced like our R is written P. People, and the book cover people, use the Cyrillic letter Я when they want to pretend they are writing in Russian, but that letter is actually pronouncd 'Ya." I figured you all wanted to know that. Real title is Russian Roulette.)
The Hellfire Club, Jake Tapper;
Trump Nation, the Art of Being the Donald, Timothy O'Brien;
Golden Prey, John Sanford.

Hmmm...do you sense a theme?

One of my closest friends published a book last year that I literally have carried with me on every flight since. However, in avoidance of heady thinking about current political realities, I keep putting it to the side for guilty pleasure airport newsstand magazine reading!

I spent a big chunk of this weekend reading My Brother Michael for the first time. so far, it isn't scary/suspenseful but I think that is coming soon. the descriptions of Athens, Greece in general and now Delphi are awesome, Mary Stewart does not disappoint! :geek:

you need to read it so you can do a review. every book needs reviews.

You're absolutely right. I'm not being a good friend. It's going into my car today so I can read it at the stables next weekend while Hannah rides. Enough procrastination and magazines!!!! Thanks!

Just started the third of Rachel Cusk's Outline trilogy. I love them, but I can see why they're such polarizing books. They're really sketches and vignettes, not a plot as we know it. But I've been marking a lot of passages as ones that resonate with me deeply.

Next up is some nonfiction by Brene Brown, helping me work through some of my questions about what's next for me.

you need to read it so you can do a review. every book needs reviews.

Okay. Here are two:

Wolff's book was just gibberish and not very convincing. The only surprise was how he got almost unlimited access.

Stein's book had a catchy title. Corner...in the Oval. But it was about 85-90% sophomoric (at best) details of her use of alcohol and use of her by men. Had to FORCE myself through the last third of the book.

Fox's Born Trump was good. It was presented as facts, not as a series of insults. (Although the anti-Trump folks will find lots of facts that equal ammo.) Fox is also VERY CLOse to Michael Cohen and I suspect another book, on Cohen's relaionship w/Trump, is in her immediate future.

I love Baldacci's cops'n'robbers fiction.

I also enjoy Johnston's wealth of info and sarcasm.

Latest posts

Back