What are you making/eating for Thanksgiving?

Not sure what Todd & I are up to yet. Just got back from "friends T-day" aka Hippie Thanksgiving tonight. Had a feast of epic proportions, but seriously lacking in anything green! Note to self: make some sort of fresh veggie! The one and only tray of roasted brussels sprouts got cleaned out fast.

I made: butternut squash casserole w/ dried cranberries & orange zest, cream, and pecan topping, and a batch of low(ish) carb persimmon pudding with foraged black walnuts.. in fact, the persimmons were also foraged/processed too.

Family wise- not sure what's up. Mom isn't doing well and is drifting in and out of lucidity it seems from our last calls, and dad isn't well either. I got the brush-off about Tday, they are not up for company/cooking (meaning me, and us seeing their living situation.) I usually do all the cooking save for dad & Todd deep frying a turkey.. The house has been a wreck of piles of clothes and purchases piled up everywhere to the point of not being able to use the dining room, or most of the space the last few times we've been there.

IF mom feels ok that day, or seems to be on the trajectory of feeling well enough, there may be a dinner out someplace. Hopefully she feels ok and we gather round some iffy place just to see one another, food not important so long as it's something they want. If not, it's just the two of us for a nice quiet weekend, which would suit me fine too. We've had our celebrations with friends over the big bird. :)

We are going to my sisters in Sammamish WA. She is a great cook so I'm sure I'll be a gassy mess. I hope she makes my moms creamed onions.

Mom isn't doing well and is drifting in and out of lucidity it seems from our last calls, and dad isn't well either. I got the brush-off about Tday, they are not up for company/cooking (meaning me, and us seeing their living situation.

wow, very concerning - sorry to hear it, Jo

:5grouphug:

Thanksgiving was my last supper. I had my surgery 2 days later. I love tradition, so I always stick to the basics. By the time I'm done cooking, I've tasted and smacked to the point that I can't sit and eat, even 15 years out my copassity at one sitting is small. I'm a grazer!!! I love thanksgiving!!!

@Jo777 that is a hard situation for you to deal with in regards to your parents.

wow, very concerning - sorry to hear it, Jo

:5grouphug:

It's okay, I'm learning to distance myself from what I need to and address/care about the things I have some input into, which is not a lot at this point. I have no ability to change them (took a while to accept this!)but I appreciate the hugs & support though! It's rough, but that's family, right? :) Just have to make the best of it, and here's to hoping mom feels good, and we all go out for a nice get-together!

This Thanksgiving will be the end of an era for my family. For 50 years we have gathered at my parent's now my o' s house. Today my dad is gone and my mom is in an assisted living place and the house was just sold. Everything has to be out by December 16th. So my mom and I decided we'd have a simple meal at the house as closure. Mentioned it to my married siblings and now my sister and her family, my niece and her husband who live in NYC, one of my brothers and his daughter are coming! Only hold up? We pretty much stripped the house to sell. We have no pots and pans, no utensils, no towels pot holder--- everything needs to be carted in! Going to be a lot of work but I couldn't be happier. A nice ending for my mom and a good good bye to a house that we loved.
I love this! It will be worth all the work!

Last year I went to a celebration at a friend's house. It was a blast and very non-traditional. It was my first Thanksgiving with Elvis Impersonators. We had a good time but we seriously missed doing our own T-day and all the leftovers. We brought latkes.

This year I have 2 turkeys in fridge right now. I will brine them and cook one for T-day and the other a couple days later. We plan to make stuffing, gravy, and sweet potato casserole too. I am trying out a bourbon/maple glaze on the turkey too. I think we have offers for at least 8 free pies. We will probably collect 2 and forget the rest. I don't need 8 pies!

We will freeze all that leftover turkey and make soup out of the carcasses. Love turkey soup!

I go out and get the turkeys post Tday uber-cheap, defrost, part them out and re-freeze.. I always make bone broth (I keep all our bones, and have a sack of turkey feet I bought, as well as chicken feet) to make good gelatin-y stock! It's just the two of us, or 4 if my folks are involved, so we can't go too crazy, but someday I'd love to roast a biggun!

I go out and get the turkeys post Tday uber-cheap, defrost, part them out and re-freeze.. I always make bone broth (I keep all our bones, and have a sack of turkey feet I bought, as well as chicken feet) to make good gelatin-y stock! It's just the two of us, or 4 if my folks are involved, so we can't go too crazy, but someday I'd love to roast a biggun!
We love turkey. I have 2 24pounders! Biggest ones I could find. I always look for cheap turkey after T-day but I never have any luck. The first two years I was here they were incredibly cheap and I cooked 6 or 8 of them between Christmas and T-day. But now, not so much! I also love to use turkey in stirfry!

Because I lack culinary talent and want to share thanks, but not germs, we have ordered for pick-up of a hickory-smoked Amish Turkey stuffed with fresh herbs and citrus picked up hot with all the fixings from the local BBQ joint ---> http://www.realurbanbbq.com/ ...

Because I lack culinary talent and want to share thanks, but not germs, we have ordered for pick-up of a hickory-smoked Amish Turkey stuffed with fresh herbs and citrus picked up hot with all the fixings from the local BBQ joint ---> http://www.realurbanbbq.com/ ...
I enjoy cooking the turkey and fixins, but man, Hilary, that sounds DELICIOUS!

Good morning! For this thanksgiving we are going out for dinner. Since surgery my taste buds have changed. I plan to order broiled filet of sole with escarole and mashed turnips . I love fish and steak , now. In the past it was turkey and chicken. Enjoy your thanksgiving!!!

The BF and I will go to my parents for Tday and My Mom is making turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls and veggies. I will have some turkey with gravy and a small amount of veggies. At home I will make for me and BF to eat the rest of the weekend a nice ham and veggies.

I was gonna do just ham and green bean casserole...but have decided to add Southern Cornbread dressing (freeze half of it for Christmas) and homemade Cranberry Sauce. After all, we don't do either of those very often. So even tho it's just us two, we will be eating good with leftovers!

Latest posts

Back