Thanksgiving Contest: the winner is the loser

DianaCox

Bad Cop
How many "extra" trips, beyond the ones you SHOULD have needed had you planned better, are you going to make before you have all the things you need for Thanksgiving dinner?

Charles just went out for white pepper for my potato leek soup (I KNOW there was another bottle somewhere!), yellow raisins (the box in the pantry was half empty), and walnuts (there was a change of mind about having some stuffing with walnuts). Oh, and the challah uses 5 eggs - so one dozen between now and Friday is not enough.

That's one. It's only Tuesday, and I'm sure we're not done yet.

Haha! I'll be waiting to hear what you forgot and how grumbly Charles was when you sent him out ;)
LOL, he's in AL right now. His mom has been in the hospital with a blood clot in her lung...she is getting released today so he is heading home today.

Already made the cranberry sauce, rechecked my dressing recipe while making the cornbread (in the oven right now), dressing will be made tomorrow morning, ham is in the fridge and only a few things for the green bean casserole...sitting in the cabinet. AND crescent rolls are also in the house.

Since both Liz's and my husbands are named Charles, I can confirm that in this one instance my Charles doesn't mind being sent on errands. As long as it is for some part of the meal that HE likes, anyway (e.g., raisins and nuts for my cornbread stuffing, and white pepper for my potato leek soup - he went out at 8 PM last night for that).

Since both Liz's and my husbands are named Charles, I can confirm that in this one instance my Charles doesn't mind being sent on errands. As long as it is for some part of the meal that HE likes, anyway (e.g., raisins and nuts for my cornbread stuffing, and white pepper for my potato leek soup - he went out at 8 PM last night for that).
Yeah, mine doesn't either BUT raisins and nuts do NOT reside in my cornbread dressing. Oysters MAYBE, this year just the celery salt which is in my spice cabinet!

Well, since my formerly cirppled self couldn't do any shopping of any sort for a long time, plus, living in NYC, shopping in the cramped, crowded, gross grocery stores gave me nasty anxiety, I'm happy to do the shopping runs :)
That being said, I WILL NOT be setting foot in walmart anytime over the next 5 days, I'll be going to Ingles!

That being said, I WILL NOT be setting foot in walmart anytime over the next 5 days, I'll be going to Ingles!
I do most of my "small" item shopping at Ingle's anyway. But the Ingle's nearest us is having major stupid issues...we are thinking Bi-Lo may be a safer bet (it's across the street from our Ingle's.

We have at least one more SCHEDULED run on Thursday afternoon, to pick up the 25 lb turkey and Honeybaked ham at the Italian gourmet market a couple of blocks from our house. I'm sure I'm going to get the side-eye about picking up the turkey at 2 PM, but of course we're doing our Thanksgiving on Friday :). I'm going to hazard a guess that I'm going to find I've missed a few other things (I need to take a look at the celery I know is buried somewhere in the fridge to make sure it is not too far gone), but since that's a SCHEDULED run, it doesn't count against me.

Okay, finished Thanksgiving dinner with no trips to the store after the aforementioned trip on Tuesday!
Ham (check)
Cornbread dressing with gravy (check)
Green Bean Casserole (check)
Homemade Cranberry Sauce (check)
Crescent Rolls (check)
And the Apple pie is cooking in the oven!

So DONE!!!

I had to send my hubby to the store for milk today, yes, on Thanksgiving! As he drank all the milk and I was not going to go the day cappuccino-less, off he went to Albertsons!

Cooking frenzy today (keeping in mind that I already made the cranberry sauce and the potato leek soup a couple of days ago) for Thanksgiving tomorrow with my daughter - we looked at recipes, and then winged it (my favorite way to cook):
  • Green bean casserole with cream of celery soup (my kids hate mushrooms), heavy whipping cream, velveeta on top. Cooked it today, after it cooled, added the french fried onions for reheating in the afternoon.
  • Brussels sprouts sauteed in bacon grease, along with the slivered bacon; and dried cranberries rehydrated with port.
  • Butternut squash (bought cubed), Christmas squash (baked ourselves) browned in bacon fat, then boiled in chicken broth, fresh sage from the garden, salt, pepper and 3 Honeycrisp apple, and pureed when it was done. However, the soup didn't taste that good at first, so my daughter and I started doctoring it with milk, apple cider vinegar, more chicken broth, more salt and pepper, and ground nutmeg - success!
  • A boatload of yams are roasted - not sure what if anything I'm going to do with them besides butter and eat them - but they're cooked and ready to go.
  • I have one weird PURPLE yam, that I'm trying to figure out what to do with - maybe mash and mix with some sour cream as a purple garnish for the deep brownish-orange squash soup?
  • Whiskey glazed orange and purple carrots (very pretty as well as delish).
  • Two kinds of fancy pants mushrooms (Maitakes AKA "hen of the woods” and Enokitakes) and red onions sauteed with butter, garlic olive oil and blood orange olive oil, port and a little truffle salt. People who want mushrooms on things (like me!) can add the shrooms themselves.
  • Challahs: we made another turkey (it's baking right now), a round braided loaf with poppy seeds and a long regular braided loaf.
We also cleaned and cut up all the celery and onions for making the stuffing tomorrow, which is going to be of three types, with and without nuts, and a version made for the vegetarian who is coming (with vegetable broth rather than chicken). The main stuffing - Mrs. Cubbison's cornbread base, lots of celery, onion, yellow raisins, black olives (big ones, cut lengthwise, so stuff can get stuck in the "boat") and walnuts, with butter, chicken broth and LOTS of extra sage - will be cooked in the 26 lb turkey. There is also the Honeybaked ham (we couldn't stand it and broke into the ham for sammies for dinner).

There will also be a bok choy dish with seseme, ginger and orange juice, sauteed in a garlic olive oil (we decided that would not be as good tomorrow if it was cooked today). I have frozen peas and pearl onions, but I think I'm not going to cook them unless there is demand for them. The potato leek soup may be served with a clump of crab meat in the bowl, and chives on top.

This is WAY more food than we need for 12 people, but then again, I don't plan on cooking for the entire next week. I've

We WERE going to go camping from Saturday to Wednesday in Monterey for Charles' birthday, but it is going to be raining every day - (sad for us, good for the state!) - so we're going to hold off for a bit. With the holidays coming and birthdays, we probably won't have another chance until January. I'm very bummed - we got the bike carrier on the Jeep and we were going to ride on the beach for the first time. But driving 70 miles to sit in an RV in the rain for four days and watch TV doesn't sound that good either. Oh well, I've got quite a bit of work to do anyway.

I have one weird PURPLE yam, that I'm trying to figure out what to do with - maybe mash and mix with some sour cream as a purple garnish for the deep brownish-orange squash soup?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_alata
Purple yam is used in a variety of desserts, as well as a flavor for ice cream, milk, Swiss rolls, tarts, cookies, cakes, and other pastries. In the Philippines, it is known as ube and is eaten as a sweetened jam called ube halayá, a popular ingredient in the iced dessert called halo-halo. In Maharashtra, the stir-fried chips are eaten during religious fasting.

Latest posts

Back