VITAMIN D HERESY

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I ran into a DSer I hadn't seen in a long time today. She doesn't participate on any of the message boards or go to meetings, but she's a pretty smart cookie. We talked about a bunch of stuff, and one of topics was the problems she is having with vitamin D. She then started to tell me she was working with an endocrinologist and was taking prescription D - at which point I interrupted with NOOOOO - and she responded - YESSSSS.

Apparently, she TRIED to bring her D up and her PTH down with BioTech D3 in the appropriately high amounts, and it didn't budge. She then tried the prescription D2 in high amounts, per her endo - and it's working at least to some extent. Apparently, some of us MAY be able to use D2 better than D3.

At least that's what she said.

Weird!! Sure she's just not been in the sun lots!! ;-) Although having said that the sun doesn't seem to help DSers much.

How much is she taking? Does she tan? As you know, D is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I've never had a problem raising mine to scary levels. I suspect she hit her "sweet spot" where she suddenly hit her saturation point and started absorbing it.

I have heard of a few DSers that said they raised their D levels with the green oil-based stuff. IDK, I didn't see their labs. I am wondering, however, how it worked and if they are like Sheanie and just able to raise their D with no problem.

She gets some sun too (we live in Cali), but I don't think she's being obsessive about it.

She was not able to get her D level up with BioTech dry D3.

She gets some sun too (we live in Cali), but I don't think she's being obsessive about it.

She was not able to get her D level up with BioTech dry D3.
I think we are ALL different. what works for one won't with another but the collective knowledge helps people know what is the best way to try.

I know that pre-op, I was unable to raise my D above a bare minimum of normal with the prescription D. I mean it did go from nil to about 25 but that was it. I started the BioTech Dry D3 and was able to raise mine quickly...in 3 months mine was over 80 and at 6 months, I was making my surgeon nuts with a level of 137.

Also, I just posted this article: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/best-vitamin-d-choices-for-diabetes.1195/ Yes, the article was written for diabetics but it references a study that is applicable to all of us.

Latest posts

Back