Vitamin B6 - Too much?

Stefanie S.

Hi! I think I remember reading on here somewhere that we should keep our intake of vitamin B6 low? I'm wondering why that is? My multi (taken twice daily) will give me 6 mg (300% DV) and my B12 vitamin gives me 2 mg (100% DV)... Do you think this will cause me troubles?

Thanks!

Most of us maintain good B vitamin levels without any extra supplementation, beyond whatever is in our multi's. I'm 11 years post-op and have yet to need any extra of any B vitamin. BUT - this is why we continue to get our levels checked. If my levels drop, I will know and will add whatever additional vitamins I may need. If not, I'll continue not taking them.
Keep in mind also that B12 in particular and other B vitamins are much more of an issue with gastric bypass than with DS. But as you probably know by now, a lot of docs lump everyone together when it comes to their nutritional recommendations, so a lot of people get bad advice.

Most of us maintain good B vitamin levels without any extra supplementation, beyond whatever is in our multi's. I'm 11 years post-op and have yet to need any extra of any B vitamin. BUT - this is why we continue to get our levels checked. If my levels drop, I will know and will add whatever additional vitamins I may need. If not, I'll continue not taking them.
Keep in mind also that B12 in particular and other B vitamins are much more of an issue with gastric bypass than with DS. But as you probably know by now, a lot of docs lump everyone together when it comes to their nutritional recommendations, so a lot of people get bad advice.
Thanks Larra! I take the B12 because I'm formerly vegan... and still can't manage to eat much meat. I have converted to vegetarian since the DS surgery so I can get in enough protein, but I know I'm not getting in enough B12 yet. My B12 level was low years ago (before even being vegan), so I've always taken it. But it has B6 in it. So I'm curious if I'm now getting too much B6... maybe I need to look for a B12 that doesn't have B6 in it?

Have you had your B6 level checked? If it's getting high, it might be a good idea to take a B12 that doesn't include the B6. It's often easiest to keep all levels in range by taking each separately.

One of the top reasons we've seen for B6 going high is - unfortunately - Costco calcium citrate, which has all sorts of extra goodies, but too much B6. It's too bad, because the other stuff would probably be nice to have.

Have you had your B6 level checked? If it's getting high, it might be a good idea to take a B12 that doesn't include the B6. It's often easiest to keep all levels in range by taking each separately.
Not checked yet... I agree with keeping it all separate. I do that for everything else. Thanks for your help Larra.

One of the top reasons we've seen for B6 going high is - unfortunately - Costco calcium citrate, which has all sorts of extra goodies, but too much B6. It's too bad, because the other stuff would probably be nice to have.
Ah gotcha - that's super helpful! I just peeked at it and with every 500 mg of calcium in those pills, you get 500% DV of B6, so if you take 3-4 doses of that... yikes, that would add up very fast. Okay, for now, I won't worry about my 300% DV (600 mg) of B6. I'll watch carefully when I get my first set of labs though. THANK YOU!!

My B6 spiked on the Costco calcium, but it stays high even years after taking it so I still get / absorb plenty. There is only one brand of b-complex that I know of that has no b6 in it, which is Desert Harvest. I only take a few per week, not daily.

Avoid going high on B6 as it is a major cause of permanent nerve damage if too high or toxic.

I don't need B12 anyway so I just watch all my B levels and have yet to need any Bs at all.

Also, many of the sports drinks on the market add B6. Check all labels for additional B6 in protein drinks as well. They are all fine on occasion, but drinking some of these every day may make your B6 too high.

Also, many of the sports drinks on the market add B6. Check all labels for additional B6 in protein drinks as well. They are all fine on occasion, but drinking some of these every day may make your B6 too high.
That's right... I had forgotten to check that. But I still drink some protein shakes and they have B6.

Are there any Protein drinks that don't have added B6? The one I drink only have 20% Daily Value. But my B6 is high, so Dr. said to stop drinking protein drinks with added B6 but I haven't find any without it?

I just started using pure egg white protein that I got at Trader Joe’s
I have always hated the taste of whey protein so this stuff has been wonderful
for me.
Anyway I can’t see anywhere where it mentions B6.
I would take a pic but I left my phone at work:(

I just started using pure egg white protein that I got at Trader Joe’s
I have always hated the taste of whey protein so this stuff has been wonderful
for me.
Anyway I can’t see anywhere where it mentions B6.
I would take a pic but I left my phone at work:(
Take a picture of all the label parts once you and your phone are back together. Upload them here and we will see if it is hidden in the fine print.

Latest posts

Back