Upper GI- Barium swallow

Settledownnow

I am having an upper GI/barium swallow test on Monday due to probable esophageal spasms. I am having random intense pain that causes vomiting. It usually resolves in 10 minutes or so. My doc suspects it is caused by my hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I was told to "eat lightly" the night before the test and NPO (no water!!) day of the test.

Is this enough prep for us? Is there anything else I should know?

Larra

That should be enough prep. The stomach empties in less than 8 hours (though fat empties more slowly than other foods). And you should be able to eat and drink as soon as the test is done. Good luck!

Settledownnow

good luck, I hope they find out it is something fixable.
If the doc's hunch is right, he said it is just a matter of finding a safe medication for acid reflux and that would stop the spasms. Of course, if I cut back on coffee that would help. It is actually really painful and twice I wondered if I was having a heart attack (but I dismissed it because the pain resolves within several minutes) and he said many people with this go to the ER with that exact thought due to the intense pain!

Duckman

Professional fool
I was dealing with something similar for a while. It turned out, after a lot of diagnostics, I was having panic attacks.

I hope all went well for you!