Barium Swallow Fluoroscope for Protein Problems

Hah! I was reading the report and went WHAT??? And then saw that Larra saw the same thing (which gives me delusions that I know something :) ).
"The patient has had previous vertical sleeve partial gastrectomy. Gastric sleeve shows relatively static appearance once filled, with narrowing, resulting in a mild degree of delay in emptying of the gastric sleeve. The mucosal fold pattern at the anastomosis however is unremarkable, and the proximal limb just distal to the gastroenterostomy was otherwise unremarkable."​

With all due respect, WTF was that radiologist smoking?? He was SEEING things that he thought he should see?? Goddamn it - how the hell is he qualified to diagnose SHIT if he can't read a fluoroscopy accurately?

After you see a gastroenterologist to CONFIRM that you have a proper sleeve (or at least some sort of sleeve), I would take that report to the medical board and report the radiologist's malpractice. That just makes me very angry and upset.

Now now, this isn't malpractice, but I do think it might be helpful for future patients if you were to communicate with this radiologist, asking him to correct his report to indicate 1) that there is no gastroenterotomy (and he should figure out what it was that he thought was a gastroenterotomy), that there is instead a DI anastomosis, which MUST have been visualized because he did see contrast in the small intestine loops and that means the contrast had to go through the DI anastomosis to get there, and that given your symptoms, some comment on how well or how poorly contrast goes through your pyloric valve would be helpful. Note that the existence of your pyloric valve isn't even mentioned in the report, I suspect though can't be sure that he mistook it for your imaginary gastroenterotomy.

Reports can be corrected with an addendum, or some such thing. While this radiologist may never again see DS anatomy, he'll for sure see more sleeves, and maybe he'll learn from this and do better next time.

I sent him a letter today (before I saw Larra's last post) with a print out of the DS diagram and asking him to amend his report because there is no gastroenterostomy and asking for more info on where he saw the stricture. I informed him that his hospital system is now performing this surgery o he may indeed see another one like me. I'm sure he will be majorly pissed off. I cc'd my PCP.

The report has to be amended as in my experience, the next doc who does the endoscope will read the radiology report and take it as gospel.

Oh, he's the department head of radiology, doncha know. (In case anyone doesn't know, these are political appointments, not based on medical acumen.)

I'm glad you did this. and sometimes these appointments are based on longevity as well as politics.

Latest posts

Back