UK Newbie revisionist

Hi Everyone,
My apologies, I have copy and pasted this entry from my "Say Hello" message as I have only just joined.
You have an incredibly informative and supportive site. It's a pleasure to join.
I am soon to revise to a DS from RNY in England on 28th November 2015 (touch wood and the procedure...well...proceeds!)

May I introduce myself?
My name is Les, 52 yrs old, single, two sons and one failed marriage and one failed weight loss surgery behind me. I lost almost 100lbs from RNY surgery in March 2012 but never got within a country mile of my goal weight and then piled on the weight in a very short 2 years.
My parents both had type 2 diabetis, were morbidly obese and had numerous strokes.Their mobility and quality of life was hugely effected by their weight and I fear I'm treading the same path. They were also wonderful people.

The RNY failure was multi-factorial but had a large element of my non-compliance and ignorance of pouch rules etc... I have to accept that . My pouch and stoma are dilated and satiety is short lived after a meal.

In no small way due to information on this site and others and hours of research I decided that revision to DS was the only way to go. I believe metabolic and behavioural issues can best be addressed by a DS procedure in tandem with counselling for overeating. I'm mid way through a ten session counselling course.

It's the Devils own job to try and find a surgeon in the UK who will perform such a difficult procedure and the National Health Service very, very rarely funds a revision. I have self funded.

I was lucky enough to meet Mr Javed and Professor Kerrigan and the latter, after strictly vetting me himself and with other members of his multi-disciplinary team, has agreed to perform the surgery. Mr Kerrigan pioneered the DS procedure in the UK and has performed well over 200. Revision from RNY to DS are almost unheard of in the UK but Mr Kerrigan is the best man for the job.

I do hope to chat with the friendly and knowledgeable people on here. Between you, you have a wealth of knowledge and experience that may just help me change or even save my life.

Time for another protein shake on my pre-op diet!
Hope to speak soon
Regards
Les

Hi and welcome!

Don't kick yourself too hard about the RNY failure. The failure rate for this operation is much higher than most pre-ops appreciate. The stoma has to be just the right size for it to work at all - too large leads to hunger and possibly hypoglycemic episodes as food falls right out of the pouch and the pouch is empty almost all the time, too narrow and it's a stricture that requires dilation. Even if the pouch stays small, if the stoma is widened the operation works only if someone is able to experience a lot of hunger and not eat. Not too easy!

I'm glad you were able to find a surgeon in the UK willing and able to do your revision, even if you do have to self-pay for it. Please let us know how everything goes. You won't find a more informed and supportive group anywhere.

Do you know for SURE that you are being given a proper DS (with TWO anastomoses)? SADI/SIPS/loopDS is becoming a very popular "shortcut" procedure in Europe, and the US is starting to do them too, but there are no long term data for it. And I don't know much about either Javed or Kerrigan as surgeons, but they are publishing their data (yay!) and they at least WERE doing the DS. Just make sure.

Edited to fix for the 900th time an error I can't seem to control - data are plural.

Last edited:
Hello Diana,
The procedure is the full 2 anamostoses with a 100cm common channel.
We spoke long and in detail about the revision options and we discussed the SAD-I and although he can perform both procedures he recommended the full DS with established long term results in my case.
I read some of your posts regarding the possible misrepresentation...pretty alarming knowing you could wake up with a different operation!
SADI-I is still rare in the UK but more common on mainland Europe.
We've only just stopped wiring peoples jaws closed! I exaggerate of course but the States seems far ahead of us.
Regards
Les

Hello Diana,
The procedure is the full 2 anamostoses with a 100cm common channel.
We spoke long and in detail about the revision options and we discussed the SAD-I and although he can perform both procedures he recommended the full DS with established long term results in my case.
I read some of your posts regarding the possible misrepresentation...pretty alarming knowing you could wake up with a different operation!
SADI-I is still rare in the UK but more common on mainland Europe.
We've only just stopped wiring peoples jaws closed! I exaggerate of course but the States seems far ahead of us.
Regards
Les
Good to hear they're doing what you want.

HI Les, and welcome! this is the right place and my favorite board to read and learn. Glad you are here. When is your surgery?

also, want to agree with @Larra - don't blame yourself! the healthcare community is really good at blaming the patient for failure even when the procedures are more to blame.
again! glad you are here.

HI Les, and welcome! this is the right place and my favorite board to read and learn. Glad you are here. When is your surgery?

also, want to agree with @Larra - don't blame yourself! the healthcare community is really good at blaming the patient for failure even when the procedures are more to blame.
again! glad you are here.
Thank you.
Some good people on here and I'm learning so much already

Les, I bet your blood pressure will be much improved about a month or 2 post-op. Please keep us posted as you move forward. You are almost there.

Hello Everyone,
My apologies for not posting earlier, just arrived home today after staying a few days with my best friend after discharge.

The laproscopic Gastric bypass to Duodenal switch and hernia repair surgery went ahead as scheduled on Sat 28/11. Mr Kerrigan was lead surgeon along with Mr Javed. It turned into a marathon op of over seven hours under the knife, with the surgical team being as exhausted as I was!

I didn't really come round until the early hours of the next day,

Sunday was a rough day. Tender, uncomfortable, unable to 'pull the trigger' to pass water and when I crawled off my bed it was like carrying cannonball in my stomach...My hospital bed was very hard and the remote to change positions wasn't working and it made breathing difficult being against a hard surface. Sore bottom too!

Mr Kerrigan came to see me and said the procedure went according to plan but was longer than expected. I was still a little nauseous due to the amount of anaesthetic and later vomitted a lot of brown 'coffee grains' type fluid,

What seemed like gallons and gallons of water later via drip and orally, I was still struggling to pass water and felt full of fluid but that really was the only complication.

I have a huge, vivid purple and black bruise covering my entire right buttock, no idea how that happened abs staff and surgeon didn't know either. Any ideas anyone?

Discharged after 4 and a bit days in hospital. I think the worst thing about the hospital stay was the lack of sleep and rest. Hourly at the minimum blood pressure, bloods, temperature, drip changes, injections, oral meds etc . All very necessary buy tiring.
It was a busy ward and although I was in a private room, the door was always open as per policy and I was next to the nurses station so very noisey. My drip machine was faulty and made a noise like a coffee grinder constantly with no replacement available.

Pain is manageable with very little from my pots. I do however have 8/10 pain from the bottom right of my abdomen nowhere near a port when I stand or straighten. Makes sleeping difficult. I was aware that this pain was worse than other pains as early as the day after surgery. The surgeons didn't examine it but said it was normal and would go away. Touch wood methinks!

I was discharged with Cacit D3 granules(2 sachets twice daily); Codeine 30mgs ; Forceval soluble tablets ; Dalteparin; lactalose; Ranitidine and Trimethoprim Told these are all I need for the next 6 weeks.
Does anyone have any observations on the meds and vits?
Thank you in advance.
Regards
Les

Latest posts

Back