UGHHHHHH!!!!

Psychomom

I went for my 3 month check-up and I gained 5 pounds. My doctor said he's not worried and that I'm where I need to be. I had complications and was very sick for the first 2 months. I was practically living on broth and ice chips. Still, it's disconcerting to gain weight after weight loss surgery. I'm not eating anything other than protein and I measure everything. I take my lunches and snacks from home, so I'm being very conscientious about it all. I'm very upset about this. Has anyone else gained weight at this point in the journey?

How frustrating! Do you mean you have had zero weight loss and a 5# gain after 3 months? Or, is your weight going up and down? The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps you have edema from IV fluids or from not getting enough protein. You should be getting in 90 grams of protein per day now at 3 months post-op. Do you have swelling in your legs, ankles, feet or anything? What type of complications did you have? How does your doctor explain the weight gain?

What are you eating? Post a normal day's food. And you did have the real DS, right? There is something not right here if you are at 3 months with NO weight loss.

I went for my 3 month check-up and I gained 5 pounds. My doctor said he's not worried and that I'm where I need to be. I had complications and was very sick for the first 2 months. I was practically living on broth and ice chips. Still, it's disconcerting to gain weight after weight loss surgery. I'm not eating anything other than protein and I measure everything. I take my lunches and snacks from home, so I'm being very conscientious about it all. I'm very upset about this. Has anyone else gained weight at this point in the journey?

I just read one of your postings, "So far I'm down 48 pounds. Wow. In less than 2 months, I've lost 48 pounds." -- ??

Ok, before panicking, remember this: you have to feed your DS. We don't count calories but calories DO count. It's possible you are not eating enough protein AND fat.

How frustrating! Do you mean you have had zero weight loss and a 5# gain after 3 months? Or, is your weight going up and down? The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps you have edema from IV fluids or from not getting enough protein. You should be getting in 90 grams of protein per day now at 3 months post-op. Do you have swelling in your legs, ankles, feet or anything? What type of complications did you have? How does your doctor explain the weight gain?
I had severe nausea and vomiting. I was admitted to the hospital 4 times and was basically living on ice chips, broth, and sugar free popsicles. My potassium levels would just tank--they never could figure out why and that's why I was so sick. Dr. Syn said that I was actually losing weight too fast and that the weight gain was because I am now able to eat and keep it down. He said it was actually a good thing, but I don't agree.

What are you eating? Post a normal day's food. And you did have the real DS, right? There is something not right here if you are at 3 months with NO weight loss.
For breakfast, I either eat 1 egg or a protein shake. I will have a slice of cheddar cheese mid-morning. For lunch I will have some kind of meat--2-3 ounces of chicken, tuna, or ground beef. I usually have 2 ounces of nuts for a snack in the afternoon. Lunch and dinner are usually the same, although I do like to eat soup for supper. I usually drink 6 ounces of whole milk before I go to bed.

Ok, before panicking, remember this: you have to feed your DS. We don't count calories but calories DO count. It's possible you are not eating enough protein AND fat.
I try to be very conscientious about what I eat. I really don't think I could eat more than I do.

Dr. Syn is a new one for me. Does anyone know what surgeries he does? Does he have other patients who are not doing well? Is he in Lubbock Texas? If this is him, he has not word one about the DS on his website. What is your CC? Do you have your operative report? If not, get it!

I have been hanging out in the WLS world for almost 2 decades. I have seen quite a few people not get rid of all the fat they wanted to, myself included. But I have never before seen someone with a DS end up with a net 5lb gain for the first 3 months. And this includes people with postop problems. There is something wrong here. The only people I have ever seen with results like yours have been lap band patients.

Looking at your intake, I would tell the average DSer they aren't eating quite enough. Have you had any of the usual issues? Like really stinky poop, occasional diarrhea, oil slicks? Not common as life goes on but many of us deal with this in the beginning. What did he tell you to take for supplements?

You are right to be concerned. The sniff test says you didn't have the DS you signed up for. Smells like SADI/LOOP to me. And this is a big deal. Get that report ASAP. That surgeon you like so much may have done something totally illegal, immoral, and maybe even committed assault. Find out for sure if you did or didn't get what you paid for!!! And if you did get the SADI without consent and he used the DS CPT codes he may have defrauded the insurance company as well.

We have experts here who can help you. @Larra and @DianaCox

This more common than you might think. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/were-you-given-a-surgery-to-which-you-did-not-consent.3231/

Last edited:
Thanks--I'll check into it. For the record, I did lose 48 pounds at 8 weeks out. I regained 5 of those pounds. It's really annoying to go through all I went through and regain weight.

I'm relatively new to the DS and NOT an encyclopedia of medical info, but I've never heard of anyone gaining 5 lbs so soon after the DS. Most people lose a lot in the first month. I think you might need to be checked.

Dr. Syn is a new one for me. Does anyone know what surgeries he does? Does he have other patients who are not doing well? Is he in Lubbock Texas? If this is him, he has not word one about the DS on his website. What is your CC? Do you have your operative report? If not, get it!

I have been hanging out in the WLS world for almost 2 decades. I have seen quite a few people not get rid of all the fat they wanted to, myself included. But I have never before seen someone with a DS end up with a net 5lb gain for the first 3 months. And this includes people with postop problems. There is something wrong here. The only people I have ever seen with results like yours have been lap band patients.

Looking at your intake, I would tell the average DSer they aren't eating quite enough. Have you had any of the usual issues? Like really stinky poop, occasional diarrhea, oil slicks? Not common as life goes on but many of us deal with this in the beginning. What did he tell you to take for supplements?

You are right to be concerned. The sniff test says you didn't have the DS you signed up for. Smells like SADI/LOOP to me. And this is a big deal. Get that report ASAP. That surgeon you like so much may have done something totally illegal, immoral, and maybe even committed assault. Find out for sure if you did or didn't get what you paid for!!! And if you did get the SADI without consent and he used the DS CPT codes he may have defrauded the insurance company as well.

We have experts here who can help you. @Larra and @DianaCox

This more common than you might think. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/were-you-given-a-surgery-to-which-you-did-not-consent.3231/
I definately have the all the issues you listed. Dr Syn wants me to use the vitamin patch, and I do, but I also follow the vitamin recommendations on the sheet I downloaded from here. I have to force myself to eat--I supplement with protein drinks. It's the only way I get enough protein.

I definately have the all the issues you listed. Dr Syn wants me to use the vitamin patch, and I do, but I also follow the vitamin recommendations on the sheet I downloaded from here. I have to force myself to eat--I supplement with protein drinks. It's the only way I get enough protein.
OMG.... Lots of DSers tried the patch and they don't work. We all thought they would be wonderful but they are not. You are right to do oral plus the patch. You may as well use them up.

Latest posts

Back