Types of nutritional supplements

Parousia

I'd like to ask if someone who knows would make a sticky about the specific types of supplements we need after the DS. For example, I've read that we need to use Calcium citrate and carbonyl iron, in particular, not just whatever the local pharmacy has in stock. I keep forgetting and have to look things up repeatedly, and I don't know if there are other supplements that we need to be careful of as well. I'm sure other people early on in the process have the same problem as I do, so I thought it would be very handy to have a quick reference guide in one place that we could refer to.

This is a great idea for all surgery types. Pre-ops will want to compare and post-ops will have a great reference no matter what surgery they choose.

This is VitaLady Post-Op Supplements list that's the most highly recommended in WLS circles. This should give you a good idea of which supplements you need post surgery.

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

You will have to tweak these as per your lab results. The notes section addresses some of your queries.

Here's the lab targets list by VL:-

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaLadysLabsandTargets_11-2009.doc

There's a spreadsheet sample I came across in my research (it was created by Melanie Magdruger) and had been posted publicly on two boards including PB, that I will link to you. I am going beyond your question here, but I think this will be useful for setting us up for tracking labs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsCo4jC6kRwAdG4wTlA0c3pTd2piLTBNMUttX2dWa1E#gid=0

@southernlady
There's a post on PB by Sharyn, RN that gives an excellent overview of vites, what kinds work for us (and don't) and how to time various combinations. Pardon me if I have missed something, but please let me know if I am allowed to link them.
If it's not against BF protocol, I'd like to quote it here. Folks are free to offer critiques, of course.

Last edited:
Lists are also here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ (I loaded them from the gblcreations section as both are on my server :) )

Oh that's awesome:)

Let me ask the committee about posting a link to PB....to be honest, it would be even better if she would join us over here as well and post it here herself.

Sure, let me know. =)
It would be for the best if she were to drop by and share herself. That is a super informative post. Let's hope she finds her way here:). Or if she's on Fb etc., perhaps an older member could contact her with an invitation to BF.

_______

p.s. lmao i feel like i am preparing for an exam. inadvertently, i find myself memorizing info. *facepalm* and still keep falling short. i keep reading and re-reading dsfacts and my bookmarks etc. i need to get out more..maybe get a life while i am at it. i spent less time preparing for my lsat. :p

Last edited:
I would like something that is separate from the lists of the supplements we need. Those lists very helpful, of course (thank you @southernlady - I got the pre-op and DS supplements lists from those that you posted), but there isn't much info about types/forms of the supplements. I only know the type of calcium is important, for example, from reading threads on PB in the past and comments in the FB group.

I'm in the process of preparing for my surgery, and want to make sure I have everything I need when I come out of hospital. I really need to look for the best price on supplements that I can find (I'm on a disability pension), pref here in Australia (postage can be a killer). I really want to make sure that I get the right type of supplement though. So, I would Google "60mg carbonyl iron" (I see VL mentions Polysaccharide too - never heard of it as a form of iron before). I would love to have a list limited to that basic info (of course all the types of any particular supplement that we can use would be good), separate from schedules, etc. I need to see the individual trees, not the whole wood, LOL.

Thanks so much for the responses. I feel rather bad having just introduced myself, and then asking for something straight away. I'm just at that stage in my preparation, and realised I just don't know enough to make sure I get the right form of any particular supplement. At the same time, I realised that if I need this info, others will too, so having it in one place for easy access would be ideal (as opposed to being lost in a thread somewhere).

PS Please excuse my verbosity!

Last edited:
@southernlady
There's a post on PB by Sharyn, RN that gives an excellent overview of vites, what kinds work for us (and don't) and how to time various combinations. Pardon me if I have missed something, but please let me know if I am allowed to link them.
If it's not against BF protocol, I'd like to quote it here. Folks are free to offer critiques, of course.

This would be great info to have! I like lists as a quick reference, but I do also like to understand the reasons for various recommendations.

@Parousia

You're right:). We would all benefit from that info. This is a great thread idea.

Don't feel self-conscious (I know it's hard because I do too, esp. as a Pre-Op more full of questions than answers), since we're here for support and factual/correct info.. :)

I would be happy to. It will need some checking though, by those of you who know, and probably some additions/editing for completeness. But, I'll do my best to put together whatever I can find.
Excellent! If you get it started, it will be LOTS easier for others to edit/contribute/give feedback :).

Latest posts

Back