The psychological damage of fat shaming

Unfortunately at this point I do the most shaming of myself, thank you very much. I lost half of my body weight the first year post op. I was 137 pounds. I'm 5'8". Skin and bones. Fast forward 3 years, and 50 pounds of regain, due to some life events and medication adjustments. I'm getting myself under control and have lost 10 pounds (woohoo). I feel like a failure. I failed weight loss surgery.
So I saw a picture of myself from last week, back to hating pictures taken, and I actually thought "hey, that's not so bad". So I felt a little better. The next day the new girl at work finds it necessary to tell me that she usually wears a size 0-2, but she's gained so much weight, she had to buy a size 8. Slam dunk. I felt like shit. Wtf do I even respond to that???
So yea, fat shaming is real.

I never understood why women can be so mean to each other about weight.
You could take the new woman's comment to signify you had joined the "club" of normal weight woman, who spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about weight and clothing size. I didn't know this "club" existed until I joined it accidentally. It will be even more difficult when they make disparaging comments about an obese woman and laugh. Like a woman on my block who asked if I had bought my house from that fat woman who was almost as big as the house. Ha-Ha.

Latest posts

Back