Sunday Weigh In (8/30/2015)

I did 3 weeks of Atkins before my trip to Ireland. I dropped 6 pounds. I am at about 148ish right now. My goal weight is 145. I would like to lose enough to accommodate bounce back but, I am having trouble with motivation right now. I am at a normal BMI currently at around a 23. I am just terrified to hit that 24 month mark in January and lose my magic window. I have that fear that at 2 years out from surgery, the weight will just start piling back on and in 4 years time, I will be obese again! I know we all have to fight these fears. I also know that having the DS is no guarantee against weight gain, that is what scares me most.
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/b...years-postop-finally-reached-normal-bmi.3409/

@newanatomy, not sure about the magic-window, but I have faith you will find the motivation to kick the sweet stuff! In my mind, it's not so much motivation as it is just fighting the cycle of cravings (I think we all have motivation in spades!) Kicking sweets is bear, but yesterday I did was was needed to keep myself on track (ate fatty protein anytime I felt the urge to nibble!) Today, I'm back to my more normal routine of 3-4 meals (at least that's the plan :) ) and nothing that tastes sweet, even the fake stuff can bite me, so the sugar-free amaretto cookies I made go away with Todd!

& @Charris, lol, I thought of you when I was prepping my latest hunk of meat to cook.. beef tongue! First time for me cooking it, and yes, it's weird as hell.. and no mistaking what part it is!! :p

Yuck. I had it once at a potluck at work. All cut up and full of sauce. It was chewy and gross. The girls at work were very amused. Did you like it? @Jo777

@newanatomy There is a lady on FB (and here @SusanBrown who needs to tell HER story. I think it will give you hope. :)

I read her story and am so happy for her. I love that by getting back on the low carb wagon, she was able to lose so much more weight!

I have to clarify though, I am just taking a break from extreme low carb. I still have hope for reaching goal. I am only 3 pounds away having gone from more than a 44 BMI to a BMI of 23. Plus, this was a goal I chose for myself before I had the surgery, not a doctor assigned goal. I just need to relax for a while. If I never hit this goal, I am 5' 8" tall and wearing a size 4 jeans/6 in slacks. Even with bounce back I hope I would land at an 8, still perfectly within an acceptable range. My plan is to try to lose more to accommodate bounce back but if I don't, I have still gone to almost the middle of normal BMI range having lost just about 140 pounds. That is a success.

I was speaking of my fears. I am having what I consider to be the normal fears of a formally obese person, that the weight will return. I am having a bit of a sugar binge lately. I report that only as an explanation of not going back on Atkins right now. Just a bend in the road. :inlove:

Yuck. I had it once at a potluck at work. All cut up and full of sauce. It was chewy and gross. The girls at work were very amused. Did you like it? @Jo777

Not had it yet- doing a very slow cook in a water bath, so it's for dinner tomorrow night. I've had it corned before, sliced thin in sandwiches.. I've got intentions to shredding/chopping it up for lettuce-wrap tacos. I spiced it mexi-style.

@newanatomy I know for our psyches we want to hit some stupid ass magical number but you know to well that you, we, did not have this surgery for a number. We had this surgery to be healthy and live. There is nothing magical about 2 years and you have seen from others 10 years out that you can maintain and still lose weight even after the magical window. Do yourself a favor and don't stress. You are doing quite well. Your BMI of 23 is just slightly higher than mine and I am grossly malnourished, so try not to torture yourself hon.

So as I posted in my update....172.5 this morning. :frown: An all time low and frankly very depressing. :cry: This hospital stay, although necessary, really depleted me and I did not need this for my malnutrition. The hospital simply didn't understand or care about my nutritional needs and that is said. Dr K told me I would lose for a while before heading towards my target of 200 lbs, but I have to remind myself of this and not get too down.....because I am extremely down this morning (but my health is turning the right way so I should be on the mend now).

So as I posted in my update....172.5 this morning. :frown: An all time low and frankly very depressing. :cry: This hospital stay, although necessary, really depleted me and I did not need this for my malnutrition. The hospital simply didn't understand or care about my nutritional needs and that is said. Dr K told me I would lose for a while before heading towards my target of 200 lbs, but I have to remind myself of this and not get too down.....because I am extremely down this morning (but my health is turning the right way so I should be on the mend now).
Scott, hang in there...you had a detour that got in your way.

@newanatomy I know for our psyches we want to hit some stupid ass magical number but you know to well that you, we, did not have this surgery for a number. We had this surgery to be healthy and live. There is nothing magical about 2 years and you have seen from others 10 years out that you can maintain and still lose weight even after the magical window. Do yourself a favor and don't stress. You are doing quite well. Your BMI of 23 is just slightly higher than mine and I am grossly malnourished, so try not to torture yourself hon.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I am saying. I am already a weight-loss success. As far as the "weight-loss window", I have been reading about this window on this site and on PB since I started researching weight-loss surgery. For DS'rs, it is supposed to be the time of easy weight loss. After 18 to 24 months, I have read over and over, it gets much like it was before surgery because our villi have grown back making our absorption more effective.

I am sorry that you are continuing to lose. This is not surprising to me at all. I bet you were pumped full of fluids in the hospital. I know I also retain fluids when I travel. You are probably dumping all of this plus your body is struggling to heal. Relax for a bit, be reassured by what Dr. K told you. Give yourself some time to heal and bounce back from this trauma. Are you still taking the creon?

I am going to post this in the other thread All time low as well.

I am sorry that you are continuing to lose. This is not surprising to me at all. I bet you were pumped full of fluids in the hospital. I know I also retain fluids when I travel. You are probably dumping all of this plus your body is struggling to heal. Relax for a bit, be reassured by what Dr. K told you. Give yourself some time to heal and bounce back from this trauma. Are you still taking the creon?

I am going to post this in the other thread All time low as well.
Thanks Dear!

You are going to maintain just fine, of that I have no doubt. Some absorption my come back but I can tell you (and she will probably be embarrassed by this but apologies before you read) that I met @Larra the weekend after my revision and she is a beautiful and healthy looking woman. If she has had much gain back she must have been pretty thin because she looks great and more importantly seem very content with where she is at in life.

Latest posts

Back