Sunday Weigh In (7/12/2015)

I thought you did. I lived in Simpsonville from 2000 through July of 2003.

I'm at 181.4 lbs and seem to be able to hold there. I'm on Creon to try to stop losing...and seems like might be working. I envy your muscle mass Bagaof4! I have no doubt you could kick my arse in a fair fight...but you should know one thing about me: I'm a biter!! Gratz to one and all and Scott you keep swinging my friend! You + I are chartering the same waters I think...battling excessive weight loss while so many still fight gain. We are the rare breed of DS patients who lose too much, but we WILL figure it out. I'm hoping you stabilize without another surgery, but if one is needed I know it will be great for you. Hell, I'd MUCH rather be strong healthy, and 20 lbs overweight than weak and too skinny any day. Hang in there my friend!
:nike:

Good for you for holding your weight @Will2014! I was actually teetering at an underweight Bmi when I hit 115 and got a bit nervous. When I started weight training that seemed to put an end to the losing for me and I am very happy it happened that way. I am no expert by any means, but I do know that by adding muscle I have improved my body composition on many levels. I am not trying to have the muscles of a bodybuilder, but, like you, I don't want to be weak or too skinny and would rather replace my lost fat with lean muscle mass. It's all such an interesting journey, isn't it?

LW - 156.7
TW - 156.3

Blah blah blah.
This is about the weight I was when I stopped losing with the sleeve. Maybe my body just likes this weight and doesn't want to go any lower.

I was really hoping to be under 150 before we go on vacation next month but that's impossible. At the rate I'm going, I won't get there until January of next year.
Yes, I'm being whiny. Lol

Congrats to all of you for holding or losing. Have a great week everybody!

LW - 156.7
TW - 156.3

Blah blah blah.
This is about the weight I was when I stopped losing with the sleeve. Maybe my body just likes this weight and doesn't want to go any lower.

I was really hoping to be under 150 before we go on vacation next month but that's impossible. At the rate I'm going, I won't get there until January of next year.
Yes, I'm being whiny. Lol

Congrats to all of you for holding or losing. Have a great week everybody!
Still doing good...and just keep plugging along.

How close to an 18.5 BMI does that make you?
No where near it. Weight is not my concern it is that weight is an indicator of my health and I am feeling very weak again.

My BMI IS 23.5

To show you how stupid the BMI numbers are, before getting to 18.5 I would be 144 pounds. Lol at 6'2 and hips that are 34 inches with a 44 inch chest, I would be a UNICEF poster child at 165...snf breaking bones just walking.

I am getting labs drawn tomorrow and seeing Marshall on Thursday to see if other testing needs to happen. Plus I want to get an idea how long I would be off work if I have to get extended

No where near it. Weight is not my concern it is that weight is an indicator of my health and I am feeling very weak again.

My BMI IS 23.5

To show you how stupid the BMI numbers are, before getting to 18.5 I would be 144 pounds. Lol at 6'2 and hips that are 34 inches with a 44 inch chest, I would be a UNICEF poster child at 165...snf breaking bones just walking.

I am getting labs drawn tomorrow and seeing Marshall on Thursday to see if other testing needs to happen. Plus I want to get an idea how long I would be off work if I have to get extended
Okay...I hear you but want to show you this:
(It's my husband's progress from surgery and you read from the bottom up). His original goal was 155...but once he got down to that, he realized he just was too skinny. BUT he didn't try to gain. He did but he didn't try...not until he fell off the rails last year with carbs and went from 175 to 190.
We are now in 2015 and he is back up to mid 170's. (He got his carbs under control and has pulled it back down to where he wants to be.

Notice he was about your same point as far as being out from surgery and getting downright scrawny. He came back up.

I'm thinking that doing what @Bagaof4 did makes more sense. Try adding some weight bearing exercise.

Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 5.34.04 PM copy.jpg

Okay...I hear you but want to show you this:
(It's my husband's progress from surgery and you read from the bottom up). His original goal was 155...but once he got down to that, he realized he just was too skinny. BUT he didn't try to gain. He did but he didn't try...not until he fell off the rails last year with carbs and went from 175 to 190.
We are now in 2015 and he is back up to mid 170's. (He got his carbs under control and has pulled it back down to where he wants to be.

Notice he was about your same point as far as being out from surgery and getting downright scrawny. He came back up.

I'm thinking that doing what @Bagaof4 did makes more sense. Try adding some weight bearing exercise.
View attachment 678
Liz I appreciate what you are saying, but weight is not my concern it is severe malnutrition without CREON. I take 72,000 units of Creon per meal and 36,000 with a snack or else I would be in the hospital with albumin half of minimum, total protein the same, hematocrit and hemoglobin well below range ...and BP of 75/40 and HR rate in 35-40 range. I spent a week in the hospital with those issues including being very dizzy to point where I couldn't walk without falling down. In addition to those issues I have to take 300 mg of zinc daily and am barely in range, 200 mg/iu of D and last test was 37, 100 mg/iu A and it was barely in range last test, K was low last draw so I now I take one extra a day. My H & H are still right at bottom of range on one and below on the other so I am still mildly anemic. My platelet count is also barely in range

I eat a shitpot full of protein daily (Today I have had 165 grams) and a significant amount of carbs as well. Without the creon I would not be alive today, so this isn't a matter of simple weight or muscle mass. It is a matter of basic health.

On top of all this, the creon causes my guts to burn and the anal fissure that I have won't heal because it is acidic (the creon caused this as it wasn't that way before and I had bile salt diarrhea before). I am tired of having to take that stuff to survive and the welchol to make the burning gut and butt livable (uncomfortable with it but I can take it without i can't).

By the way, my weight did go up from around 170 (I think, have to check my file at home to be sure) to 191/192 but it is on the way down again.

I am going to see my surgeon to see if there is testing that can be completed to quantify things. If not and my weight and health don't swing the right direction, I will be getting the 50 CM added so I can get off the Creon and live a normal life. Not to mention I need surgery on the sphincter as the fissure isn't healing, and I don't want to do that until my acidic poop is better.

I don't want to sound like a drama queen but I am tired and know things are highly unlikely to swing quickly. Additionally, I am positive my surgeon won't consider surgery until I am least 24 months out so this won't happen (if it has to) until probably October at earliest (he is usually about 4-6 out on surgery).

Oh I almost forgot, I have never tried to gain weight. Weight has just been a proxy/indicator for my lab values (goes up a tad when albumin and Tot Protein in range) and down when not.

Last edited:
I am going to see my surgeon to see if there is testing that can be completed to quantify things. If not and my weight and health don't swing the right direction, I will be getting the 50 CM added so I can get off the Creon and live a normal life. Not to mention I need surgery on the sphincter as the fissure isn't healing, and I don't want to do that until my acidic poop is better.
Sounds like the fissure needs attention first.

Okay, devil's advocate here...what happens if you do get your common channel lengthen and it doesn't change the numbers?

Latest posts

Back