Sunday Weigh In (2/28/2016)

DO NOT bother with calories...count macros...protein grams, fat grams, carb grams. How do those look?

Hi there. You're right - I'm not limiting my calories, but MFP tracks them regardless. So my macros for the last couple months are averaging 110-120 protein, 80-90 fat, and about 100-110 carbs. My carbs are pretty much fruits and dairy, though I do eat a slice of prairie bread (brown bread with lots of seeds) from time to time with lots of cheese or butter on it. I have found that eating much less than 100-110 carbs kills my energy when I try to run any real distance, but eating much more kills my belly, so I try to walk that line. Truthfully, the only really tough struggle I have been facing is with hair loss. I had fine, thin hair to start with because of other medical issues, and the hair loss has been pretty significant. I'm just taking my vites and Biotin, and trying to be patient on that front. In any case, I welcome your thoughts!

Hi there. You're right - I'm not limiting my calories, but MFP tracks them regardless. So my macros for the last couple months are averaging 110-120 protein, 80-90 fat, and about 100-110 carbs. My carbs are pretty much fruits and dairy, though I do eat a slice of prairie bread (brown bread with lots of seeds) from time to time with lots of cheese or butter on it. I have found that eating much less than 100-110 carbs kills my energy when I try to run any real distance, but eating much more kills my belly, so I try to walk that line. Truthfully, the only really tough struggle I have been facing is with hair loss. I had fine, thin hair to start with because of other medical issues, and the hair loss has been pretty significant. I'm just taking my vites and Biotin, and trying to be patient on that front. In any case, I welcome your thoughts!
The carbs are not a problem IMO, but you need to be getting close 175-200 grams of protein especially if you are running. You aren't getting enough protein.. Up the protein if you want to lose more.

Simple DS math since you brought up calories.

1,700 x 60% = 1.020 calories

That isn't enough so you are probably in starvation mode, and your exercise with that low level of nutrition will burn muscle not fat. That is defeating the purpose of what you are trying to do. . You need to be eating a lot more protein so I would suggest that if you are going to be exercing that you need to nearly double your protein intake.

So my macros for the last couple months are averaging 110-120 protein, 80-90 fat, and about 100-110 carbs.
If counting total carbs, that may be your best spot. during my weight loss I ate between 70-100. I would add more protein and maybe a bit more fat...like 10-20 grams...start by adding an extra 5 grams of fat a day, then 10 til you get to about 120 grams a day. If you start having very very loose poop, back down some...the ideal is to find your sweet spot with fat. But you definitely need more protein for all that exercising.

Thanks for your kind words @Bagaof4 @southernlady @duh_Mom @BebeZed

@Soonerjoseph My younger son said something the other day about having no more than 2 photos with me when he was a child. I said I was always the photographer -- true, but the reason was because I didn't want my blimpness to be immortalized. Oh, and you look great in your avatar.

Thanks @DSRIGGS but I doubt I could ever post pictures online.

PS: finally this week two people said something. A friend said "you're looking very svelte" and my hairdresser said "you look tiny." I just smiled and changed the subject as I do not want to talk about my weight loss, I just wanted someone to notice.

Latest posts

Back