Suggestions & Helpful Info Please?

As my surgery date (March 24) approaches, I am overwhelmed and exhausted by searching for the very best info on things to do pre-surgery, during surgery, and post-op. I would greatly appreciate advice from the experts...you all! Give me your best suggestion or advice please? I want to be prepared! Thank you!

Read here. One excellent thread on the main board is titled about never had surgery....

Use the search function to find subjects of specific interest.

Read the stickied threads in particular. Look carefully at the links to documents about labs, supplements, etc.

there is a definite learning curve and no way to shortcut any of it. It's like going to school.

Tammy, what EN said...your best bet is to read all the stickied threads in particular, print out what you feel like applies to your situation and just treat this like school. IF something hasn't already been addressed, ask but make sure you read all you can first.

Thanks, ladies! I have read almost everything here and elsewhere. As Jennie, (Dr. Sudan's former assistant), said in a note to me, "You are and have been the most prepared and organized patient I've ever seen and if anyone deserves this surgery it's you". I guess I was just asking more along the lines of say the one thing that you were so grateful that you did or didn't do, etc... I know we all respond differently to the surgery, but it's nice to have that reassurance :)

Tammy, even the most prepared have stupid moments afterward...blame it on the anesthesia when EVERYTHING you've read just falls out of your brain. That's why having printed copies comes in handy later...

There is also a bookmarking feature on this forum.

One tip I would give is really, really follow doctors orders following your surgery. I don't mean later for you post-op nutrition and supplements but, when it comes to introducing solid or pureed foods. Go slow and wait till you are cleared by your surgeon.

I'll tell you a few little things that helped me, or things that I realized in hindsight...

- don't overpack for the hospital. It's a waste. Bring something you can easily slip on and off your feet, your phone charger, Chapstick and mini bottles of listerine. I don't think I touched anything else that I brought except maybe a movie or 2 on the iPad. Also, wear something very loose and comfy there that you can put on to go back home.
- don't over buy post op foods or protein powders, I threw away so much.
- keep lots of different kinds of drinks around to keep hydrated. I found thermos bottles helped to keep things cold (some prefer room temp or hot) and helped me keep track of my ounces for the day (still do!)

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure if you read the back threads there will be lots more!

Thank you so much! Yes, I've read so many posts that said they were on regular food in a couple of weeks...I know that's not right! LOL :) I will heed your advice, I do not want to end up in worse shape than I am now!

Thank you! Those are wonderful & extremely helpful! I am trying not to purchase too much, but they all come in such large packs...would be nice if they sold singles... :) Why the listerine?

Thank you! Those are wonderful & extremely helpful! I am trying not to purchase too much, but they all come in such large packs...would be nice if they sold singles... :) Why the listerine?
I didn't get the sample packs and I wish that I had, but after much wasted money trying to buy tubs of powders at the "cheapest" prices, and then hating them and giving them away or throwing them out, I found out that Vitamin Shoppe and GNC will both take back open tubs. You may spend a little more money, but it's worth it until you find one that you like/your insides can tolerate, then you can look around for online sales and/or coupons codes.

Listerine was a godsend for me because I couldn't really drink anything the day of surgery or the next day (I was vomiting) and I had the WORST taste in my mouth, but had trouble bending over the sink to brush my teeth. Not everyone has trouble with bending, and not everyone vomits, but I'd be willing to wager that almost everyone deals with thirst and/or dry mouth and it helped with that as well.

Oh, and bring baby wipes in case they don't let you shower, it'll help to not feel so icky!

Latest posts

Back