Rny to DS

Jojobanana27

Hello everyone, I am new here and I am seeking any advice possible. I had rny in 2015 and now researching how I can obtain revision to the traditional DS, it is possible but I am having issues getting a referral for an approval for my insurance (medical with IEHP, I live in San Bernardino,CA) any help or suggestions would be great. I had medical with Kaiser and they denied me, filed a grievance, got denied, took it to DMHC and got denied, I filed again and filed for a state hearing too. I now switched to IEHP as I said above thay I have but idk how to get this surgery approved. Pre surgery rny 341lbs, surgery weight was 331lbs, got down to 230lbs and now 6 years later I am at 308lbs feeling really discouraged at this time about it all so please be kind, thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome Jojobanana27 ! I had a traditional DS, for which I will be forever grateful. I had quite a battle going through hoops with insurance. It wasn't a revision, so I can't comment on the rny->DS procedure, but hopefully some of the revisionistas will chime in with their experience. Wishing you all the best!

Dr Keshishian operated on me a few years ago at Huntington Hospital (in Pasadena) and it was covered by insurance. It wasn’t WLS or RNY to DS revision, but was a different GI surgery to resolve some complex abdominal issues. I was very happy with my care and results.

Dr K definitely does RNY to DS revision surgery for the right patient.

These are now several years old, but supports the DS as a revisional procedure for RNY.

More recent paper, not about DS as a revision procedure, but showing efficacy:
See especially this chart:

A newer paper on revisions:
“A systematic review (799 studies) assessed the revisions of RYGB for WR, including two conversions (to distal RYGB or BPD/DS) and three revisions (revision of gastric pouch and anastomosis, revision with gastric band or with endoluminal procedures) [100]. The review found that the mean percentage excess body mass index loss (%EBMIL) at 3 years for these five revisional procedures was 52.2%, 76%, 14%, 47.3%, and 32.1%, respectively [100]

I am sorry my story is a bit long but you might be interested in my revision experience. I had a revision from RNY to DS revision with Dr Keshishian.

My highest weight was 430 lbs. My low weight with the RNY was 228 lbs. I did not realize the malabsorption with the RNY was not permanent and over time I regained to 360 lbs. I originally investigated the DS but at the last minute I allowed concerns about the hospital (Mt Sinai in NYC) to change my mind. I felt like I had ruined my chances to achieve a healthy weight. Then I started reading on a weight loss board about people who had RNY revisions to DS.

I researched doctors doing the revision. I found a doctor in New Jersey who was doing these revisions. I live in New York so this was convenient. I contacted the surgeon sent him my medical records completed all the required medical testing. I went for the initial consult.

This doctor required DS patients to take a test about the DS requirements to be sure they understood the DS requirements. I passed the test with a perfect score and received a surgery date. I was then scheduled for my pre op visit. At my pre op visit the doctor told me he was NOT revising me to a DS but to a distal RNY. I was devastate. When I expressed my displeasure the doctor said “Me and Ara are your best options for revision surgery what are you going to do go to California?”

I knew he was referring to Dr Ara Keshishian in California. I went home, cried, and posted how upset I was to the weight loss board and the next week I contacted Dr K and started the process with him.

I currently weigh 247lbs. I gained 20 lbs during the pandemic. It has been so much easier to maintain this weight with the DS. When I lost the weight with the RNY I went to the gym everyday no exception. I worked very hard and I still gained weight. I don’t feel like a true success because I never made it to onederland or even out of the obese category. I am grateful for my improved mobility and health. I am happy because I know if I increase my protein and reduce my carbs I will lose the extra 20 lbs. I am grateful because my DS let’s me control my weight and stops my weight from controlling me.

MsVee I would like to talk to you. I just now became a new member and made my first post. I am considering having a RNY revisional surgery to DS by Dr K. Can you tell me your experience with DrK etc. thank you

I am sorry my story is a bit long but you might be interested in my revision experience. I had a revision from RNY to DS revision with Dr Keshishian.

My highest weight was 430 lbs. My low weight with the RNY was 228 lbs. I did not realize the malabsorption with the RNY was not permanent and over time I regained to 360 lbs. I originally investigated the DS but at the last minute I allowed concerns about the hospital (Mt Sinai in NYC) to change my mind. I felt like I had ruined my chances to achieve a healthy weight. Then I started reading on a weight loss board about people who had RNY revisions to DS.

I researched doctors doing the revision. I found a doctor in New Jersey who was doing these revisions. I live in New York so this was convenient. I contacted the surgeon sent him my medical records completed all the required medical testing. I went for the initial consult.

This doctor required DS patients to take a test about the DS requirements to be sure they understood the DS requirements. I passed the test with a perfect score and received a surgery date. I was then scheduled for my pre op visit. At my pre op visit the doctor told me he was NOT revising me to a DS but to a distal RNY. I was devastate. When I expressed my displeasure the doctor said “Me and Ara are your best options for revision surgery what are you going to do go to California?”

I knew he was referring to Dr Ara Keshishian in California. I went home, cried, and posted how upset I was to the weight loss board and the next week I contacted Dr K and started the process with him.

I currently weigh 247lbs. I gained 20 lbs during the pandemic. It has been so much easier to maintain this weight with the DS. When I lost the weight with the RNY I went to the gym everyday no exception. I worked very hard and I still gained weight. I don’t feel like a true success because I never made it to onederland or even out of the obese category. I am grateful for my improved mobility and health. I am happy because I know if I increase my protein and reduce my carbs I will lose the extra 20 lbs. I am grateful because my DS let’s me control my weight and stops my weight from controlling me.
I sent you a post but Idk if you received it. My name is Christy Porter. I just made my first post. Wanting to know your experience with DrK. Also considering Dr Ayoola had RNY wanting revision to DS thank you

Sorry just saw your post. Dr K was wonderful. He answered all my questions and explained that I did not fail the RNY it simply was the wrong surgical option for me. I trust him because of his knowledge. I was comfortable with him because of his compassion.
I traveled from Long Island NY to California because I wanted the best medical care I could find. I do not regret my decision at all. I spent more money doing so. It was worth it to know I was giving myself the best chance at being successful. I did not achieve my goal weight but I managed to lose and keep off 200 lbs for approximately 9 years. I know if I clean up my diet I could easily drop another 25 to 30 lbs.
During the pandemic I have been less active and unfortunately snacking more than usual. Dr K is an excellent choice for revision surgery.

Latest posts

Back