Spiky Bugger read my mind!! TMI POOP

Beats me, but yeah...how are you doing with milk in general? Because the stuff with whey even upsets my gut.

I like egg white protein powder. DO NOT TRY the Jay Robb brand, it has sugar alcohol sweeteners.

And look out for hidden sugar alcohols. Like...Starbucks lime whatevers...naturally sweetened? Yeah, because they are allowed to call erythro-whatever "natural." And even stuff that is NOT low-cal or sugar free...my husband bought some hot cocoa for the Keurig. It was regular, not low cal and yet it had a small amount of sugar alcohol in it.

Bummer, huh?
I do fine with milk, ice cream, whip cream, but not as good with half and half. Go figure! To late Jay Robb was the brand for egg white kind so I will try the one Kathy mentioned. Yeah the tols are a bitch! They taste great but you might as well eat Ex-Lax. lol
Stevia leaves the worst after taste to me but they all have a bitter after taste to me that makes me want to brush and clean my tongue but it dosen't help at all. I do envy all of you who can tolerate the taste and not get all cramped up!

Kathy- I don't want to hijack Barb's thread, but I experience something similar with protein drinks. Most that I've tried bother me to one extent or another. I started using plain egg white and even THAT gave me gas. I thought I must be going crazy because I can eat eggs all day long with no problem and there was nothing else added but water. Once I started drinking them in 2 servings I was fine. Not just less gassy/crampy but none at all. Again, thought I was just going cuckoo and had a whole shake last week for breakfast, had horrid gas pains and cramping for hours. Any idea what the heck is going on?

When i get the egg white one mentioned I will try and use just one scoop instead of two. Thanks fo the tip.

That was kind of what I was thinking, it seems more than a certain amount of protein in liquid form does it to me. I could eat 40g of meat and be honkey dorey, but I imagine that takes way longer for the body to process.
So maybe, @Barb1 , that could be your problem too? What if you make a big double shake in the morning and have a few sips at a time throughout the day?

Have you tried that because the longer they set the more disgusting they get!! Yuck!

This is not quite true. Collagen protein is LESS useful than, say, ribeye, or whey isolate, or egg white, but it's not UNavailable. If it's the only supplement you can gag down, it's better than nothing, and probably better than a plant source protein supplement (though I do not have data on hand with which to back up that claim).

Thanks En you give me hope! The brand I am doing are better tasting than all the others I have tried.

Maybe it's air bubbles, though I don't seem to have a problem with carbonated drinks. Or maybe we are just reacting to the high concentration of refined protein?
I can drink coca cola with no problem so I don't know if it would be air bubbles. it is a thought though!

I am sorry that you had this trouble! I am also glad that you seem to be on the right track.

I still use Isopure low carb Dutch chocolate. Luckily, I don't seem to have trouble with it. Although, I think I would have no trouble eating the required protein. I still have a pretty big appetite and capacity. Lately, I have diarrhea one or two days a week. Mostly though, I am constipated. I never know what my day will be like.

It is not fun learning what bothers your new tummy and what doen't after this surgery but I still believe it is all worth it. I never really thought that it be any protein powder I tried or I would have stopped them all along time ago! That is no way for anyone to live!

I have not had that problem, but I have found that I can't have more than 10 grams of whey protein without getting very uncomfortable gas problems. And I am not lactose intolerant. I can drink milk with no problem.

Have you tried a really pure egg white product with no added flavorings or other ingredients? I found this on Amazon and it only has egg white powder and sunflower lecithin:

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Protein-Pure-LBS-Whites/dp/B00K0UG0JK/ref=sr_1_17?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1401510310&sr=1-17&keywords=egg white protein powder

PaleoProtein_sm.jpg
I will check this out and probably order some or see if I can buy some samples. I have spent a small fortune for protein supplements.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How about Jack Daniels shredded beef or Kirkland pulled pork? You can get them both at Costco or BJ's, and they are lovely tender. Kirkland's canned chicken with mayo and relish is another food option that's nice and soft.

I have false teeth and I can only dream about steak. I might try one though and see if it will melt in my mouth.
Barb - I know how expensive they are, but if there is ANY way you can get implant supported dentures, do it - before you lose so much bone in your jaws to make it difficult to impossible. My husband has them, and can eat normally again after 35 years of living on cheeseburgers and fries. His uppers are (semi)permanently affixed; the lowers are clipped to a bar. Most importantly, the uppers don't have a palatal plate - that used to gag him.

@DianaCox Thanks Diana for the suggestion. My problem is mostly the lowers. I have priced having the implants for the bottom and the cheapest quote I got was I believe five grand and then I have to have a new upper plate also. To get implants for both upper and lower it is around nine grand. It is not a secret how poor we are. I would need to win the lottery.
When I tell you we live month to month on Social Security I mean that. My DH makes a little on the side doing home inspections, making bird houses, and small things but it doesn't amount to much. He is applying to some of the home improvement big box stores to work part time. So for no luck. I was hoping to do childcare for a newborn to six month old baby but my health has stopped everything for me. Maybe now I can really consider it. I love newborn babies! Once they start crawling and getting into things well I just don't think I could handle running around after those little buggers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back