Spiky Bugger read my mind!! TMI POOP

Barb1

OMG! I was just getting ready to post about this! You read my mind.

I have had terrible diarrhea since my first revision to DS in 2010. I am talking horrible not enough warning running down the legs messy smelly shit possible. It started right from the get go but I just didn’t think it was because of the DS. I tried taking rounds of Flagyl 30 days on then off. It would help for a while but come back with a vengeance. I tried the elimination crap, different protein powders with different artificial sweeteners are pure evil for me (my stomach cramps up so bad I want to curl in a ball). I have had a lot of different pproblems so I wasn't sure what was causing all of this.

My mom and her mom always had issues with diarrhea so I figure some of it was just the luck of the draw.

The thought of another major surgery kicks in the anxiety. I had been tied to my house for about 2 month and things were getting worse. I have had some of the most embarrassing issues in front of my adult children and my teenage grandchildren. I couldn’t even watch my little grandbabies.

This time Flagyl and another medication just weren’t doing it so I did the elimination thing again. When I tried everything again and was still having issues I couldn’t even find another protein powder that had no artificial sweeteners that I hadn’t already tried including egg protein powders. I have also tried quite a few with artificial sweeteners.

Well I am protein deficient right now but I decided to not take any. After 2 days I started to see improvement. I was shocked but elated to. I tried to eat more protein but there was no way I was going to get over 100 grams of protein with just food. My tummy is still really tiny from surgery with Dr. K last fall.

Well it has been over three weeks now and I absolutely have not had diarrhea once. I went to my grandson’s last band concert before his graduation from high school. I was worried because it had only been one week but determined not to miss it. It was wonderful! It lasted over two hours and not one stomach cramp or gurgle. Last weekend was his graduation 2hrs long then to a park for the party. We didn’t get home until 8:30 that evening and I had a wonderful time. I was dancing to the music even though no one else was. No depends pants!! Regular underwear!! I am no longer housebound! I have my life back and it feels amazing!

Now here is the part that has me perplexed. I decided to try the protein shots because I have to have something so I tried the Probance Protein Shot XL. It has suraclose (splenda) in it but I decided I would try again because before the DS I did tolerate this with no problems except the taste in some products. I am doing fine with just a little grumble from my belly now and then. It has been a week now since I started them. I am doing two a day. This is very expensive so I am trying to figure what else is in protein powders could be causing me such a problem. I must say I don’t miss the shakes because they were hard to gag down. The shots are down in two swigs.

I am not recommending this to anyone. I have read before that they are not the best source of protein.

Has anyone had this happen to them? What did/would you do? What do you think is in the protein powders that would possibly cause this?

http://www.amazon.com/ProBalance-Original-Protein-Strawberry-Banana/dp/B009JZOPVW

So you can see ingredients.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow Barb! What an ordeal! Have you tried unflavored whey or egg white powders? They have no sweeteners at all. Or have you tried ones that just have sugar? More carbs but I'd take that over debilitating diarrhea. I hope you can find a balance.

Beats me, but yeah...how are you doing with milk in general? Because the stuff with whey even upsets my gut.

I like egg white protein powder. DO NOT TRY the Jay Robb brand, it has sugar alcohol sweeteners.

And look out for hidden sugar alcohols. Like...Starbucks lime whatevers...naturally sweetened? Yeah, because they are allowed to call erythro-whatever "natural." And even stuff that is NOT low-cal or sugar free...my husband bought some hot cocoa for the Keurig. It was regular, not low cal and yet it had a small amount of sugar alcohol in it.

Bummer, huh?

I have not had that problem, but I have found that I can't have more than 10 grams of whey protein without getting very uncomfortable gas problems. And I am not lactose intolerant. I can drink milk with no problem.

Have you tried a really pure egg white product with no added flavorings or other ingredients? I found this on Amazon and it only has egg white powder and sunflower lecithin:

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Protein...310&sr=1-17&keywords=egg+white+protein+powder

PaleoProtein_sm.jpg

I am sorry that you had this trouble! I am also glad that you seem to be on the right track.

I still use Isopure low carb Dutch chocolate. Luckily, I don't seem to have trouble with it. Although, I think I would have no trouble eating the required protein. I still have a pretty big appetite and capacity. Lately, I have diarrhea one or two days a week. Mostly though, I am constipated. I never know what my day will be like.

Sorry about your problems. Please be very careful with shots though as they’re normally from collagen which isn't bio available so you're not getting any protein.

I have not had that problem, but I have found that I can't have more than 10 grams of whey protein without getting very uncomfortable gas problems. And I am not lactose intolerant. I can drink milk with no problem.

Have you tried a really pure egg white product with no added flavorings or other ingredients? I found this on Amazon and it only has egg white powder and sunflower lecithin:

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Protein-Pure-LBS-Whites/dp/B00K0UG0JK/ref=sr_1_17?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1401510310&sr=1-17&keywords=egg white protein powder

PaleoProtein_sm.jpg
Kathy- I don't want to hijack Barb's thread, but I experience something similar with protein drinks. Most that I've tried bother me to one extent or another. I started using plain egg white and even THAT gave me gas. I thought I must be going crazy because I can eat eggs all day long with no problem and there was nothing else added but water. Once I started drinking them in 2 servings I was fine. Not just less gassy/crampy but none at all. Again, thought I was just going cuckoo and had a whole shake last week for breakfast, had horrid gas pains and cramping for hours. Any idea what the heck is going on?

Maybe it's air bubbles, though I don't seem to have a problem with carbonated drinks. Or maybe we are just reacting to the high concentration of refined protein?

Sorry about your problems. Please be very careful with shots though as they’re normally from collagen which isn't bio available so you're not getting any protein.
This is not quite true. Collagen protein is LESS useful than, say, ribeye, or whey isolate, or egg white, but it's not UNavailable. If it's the only supplement you can gag down, it's better than nothing, and probably better than a plant source protein supplement (though I do not have data on hand with which to back up that claim).

Maybe it's air bubbles, though I don't seem to have a problem with carbonated drinks. Or maybe we are just reacting to the high concentration of refined protein?
That was kind of what I was thinking, it seems more than a certain amount of protein in liquid form does it to me. I could eat 40g of meat and be honkey dorey, but I imagine that takes way longer for the body to process.
So maybe, @Barb1 , that could be your problem too? What if you make a big double shake in the morning and have a few sips at a time throughout the day?

This is not quite true. Collagen protein is LESS useful than, say, ribeye, or whey isolate, or egg white, but it's not UNavailable. If it's the only supplement you can gag down, it's better than nothing, and probably better than a plant source protein supplement (though I do not have data on hand with which to back up that claim).

Everything is less useful than ribeye.

Wow Barb! What an ordeal! Have you tried unflavored whey or egg white powders? They have no sweeteners at all. Or have you tried ones that just have sugar? More carbs but I'd take that over debilitating diarrhea. I hope you can find a balance.

Yes Lauren I have tried flavored and unflavored. Sweetened and no sweetener and all kinds with different artificial sweeteners. The egg white one was Jay Robb. I use regular sugar or honey.

Latest posts

Back