Saying Hello

Carol62

Hello, I am new to group. I have 5 months left of my 6 month medically documented diet, which i think is ridiculous. I have been over weight most of my life, how is 6 month wait going to made a difference.

Hi Carol!

You won't get any argument from anyone here that the diet is STUPID. Its purpose is merely to get you to drop out so your insurance company doesn't have to pay for the surgery. Hang in there.

Welcome and yeppers on what Clematis said. I bitched about the 6 month diet the entire time and my PCP agreed with me. We simply wrote down some BS we "tried" that month and sent it off to insurance land.

I see that you are searching out which procedure to have. Hopefully you have ruled out the RnY GBP because it doesn't give the results of the DS. Do you have any specifics about yourself, as in do you have any comorbidities (Hypertension, Diabetes, Sleep Apnea)?

Hi and welcome! You're right, the only difference the 6 month thing makes is to postpone medically necessary treatment for 6 months, or, for some people, forever. The AMSBS recently came out with a strong statement about the total worthlessness of this barrier to health care, which is posted on this website as a sticky somewhere, but that won't help you. Hopefully at some future date insurance companies will be forced to drop this requirement.

Hi and welcome! IMO the 6 month diet requirement is ridiculous. I'd love to see it done away with!

@Carol62 - WELCOME! yeah the 6 months blows - but it will give you time to study and learn from all the smart peeps on this site - (not me :) ) There is a wealth of info here and everyone is willing to answer questions. Great search capabilities and bookmarks for when you read something you want to remember later!
Glad you are here!

I don't remember the percentages, but I recall reading some data gathered by an insurance company about how many people at 6 month and one year had moved from one insurance company, to the next. Of course it was just to calculate how much money they could save betting on us to move on to another employer/plan, lose a job, give up or die. It's so lucrative for them to sandbag, I just expect stupid delays, and they keep coming up with new ones.

Don't let them win. Hang in there, jump through their idiotic hoops, and make them pay for your new/healthy life.

Hello, I am new to group. I have 5 months left of my 6 month medically documented diet, which i think is ridiculous. I have been over weight most of my life, how is 6 month wait going to made a difference.
Hello and welcome! You'll find a wealth of quality information and support here.
We all agree on the pre-op diet - just smile and nod. It will be over before you know it!

Latest posts

Back