Sadly my journey ends . . .

weaura

Today I was called by Dr Rabkin and I had a video conference with Dr Keshishian.
Both recommend that I not pursue getting a DS redone. When OHSU reversed my BPDS they reversed everything. Dr K said we would have to do a complete DS, not just a reversal of a reversal. He also described my insides as a minefield with multiple unexploded mines.
Both of them said it would be extremely difficult and likely life threatening.
Dr K said unless I have co-morbidities that are putting my life in danger it's probably not worth it. I don't have any co-morbidities that are not under control.
I've said all along that if I get turned down by the best 2 revisionist doctors that I will say OK, and drop it.
I'm sad, but I'm also a strong woman. I have a good life, so I will mourn for a bit and then move forward.
Since I no longer am pursuing this, I will likely not be on the site much. I feel as if I've made friends so I'll probably lurk from time to time.
Linda

I am so sorry to hear the news didn't go the way you'd hoped. I think you are wise as well as strong for taking their advice. Lots of support to you from this corner. :)

I am so sorry Hon. I know how bad you wanted this. Take a while and mourn, you earned the right to do that.

Sorry that there's a different turn in the road than that for which you had hoped, but wishing you all the best and hoping you stick around.

I am sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted it to.
So sorry to read about your situation. You should allow yourself the chance to mourn what could have been, but at least you were smart enough to know when to stop. You could've let yourself be blinded and then met an unscrupulous doctor willing to take advantage.

Please make sure to talk to someone if you need to who can help you sort through your feelings. These are the times that someone outside of the situation may be able to help you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry, Linda. I know you're disappointed but like they said - it's not worth risking your life when your current health issues are under control. I wish you all the best and I hope you'll post from time to time to let us know how you're doing. Good luck. :)

OK, while agreeing that this is a disappointment and not what you wanted to hear, first - I applaud you for accepting what you cannot change (even if it isn't easy to start). You did EXACTLY the right thing, and consulted with the best of the best - if they say you shouldn't do it, I really really doubt you should go looking for someone willing to be a cowboy with your life at stake.

Now - please remember that OHSU didn't reverse EVERYTHING. You still have your sleeve. You aren't so metabolically challenged (at this time) that either surgeon thought it was worth the risk. (I can't recall - are you diabetic?) So - while it won't be as easy or as pleasant as having the DS doing some of the work for you, can you go back to living la vida low-carb? You should be able to make SOME progress, even if it is hard.

You are still a sleever - you are still one of us! So don't you dare go anywhere - you're just another VSG vet struggling with regain - and you're not alone.

OK, while agreeing that this is a disappointment and not what you wanted to hear, first - I applaud you for accepting what you cannot change (even if it isn't easy to start). You did EXACTLY the right thing, and consulted with the best of the best - if they say you shouldn't do it, I really really doubt you should go looking for someone willing to be a cowboy with your life at stake.

Now - please remember that OHSU didn't reverse EVERYTHING. You still have your sleeve. You aren't so metabolically challenged (at this time) that either surgeon thought it was worth the risk. (I can't recall - are you diabetic?) So - while it won't be as easy or as pleasant as having the DS doing some of the work for you, can you go back to living la vida low-carb? You should be able to make SOME progress, even if it is hard.

You are still a sleever - you are still one of us! So don't you dare go anywhere - you're just another VSG vet struggling with regain - and you're not alone.

First of all, I’m very sorry it didn’t turn out as you were hoping, you were trying so hard and gave it 100%. One could never ask anymore of one’s self than that.

Diana said everything I was wanting to say, but of course said it so much better...thus my reference. I REALLY think you should stick around also. You have a very unique perspective to share and as Diana also told me a while back, you have to "pay it forward". Plus, I just like your style and your postings. I’m a strong believer in the got lemons, "make lemonade" philosophy and have lived my life thinking that way and I ALWAYS have a backup plan, a plan A,B,C and an emergency exit. I’m not sure if that’s the ole soldier in me or if I’ve always been that way, been so long....lol, BUT... my point is, do a little well deserved self-serving grieving for a while, then treat yourself to something really decadent and nice, go get back happy again and then figure out what should be your next path.

Sorry to hear that. But you are still welcome here. I would definitely go with what the 2 super powers recommendation

I'm so sorry! Sometimes you do everything right and the results still aren't what you want or deserve. This is one of those times. The bottom line is that you are making the best possible decision for yourself given your unique circumstances. You consulted two of the best and most experienced DS revision surgeons in not just the USA, the world. They both feel the risk is too high. You have the wisdom to accept their judgment. You will move forward with your life and still have a good life.

With surgery now being out of the question, talk to your pcp about some of the new drugs that the FDA has approved to treat obesity. They are far from perfect, but might still be helpful. If you pcp doesn't know much about them - which is possible because they are pretty new - maybe he/she would be willing to educate him/herself. If not, maybe an endocrinologist would be helpful.

And don't leave us! You are still very much one of the gang, and we care about you. Having the DS is not a requirement around here, heck, having any kind of bariatric surgery is not a requirement. Please stay.

Latest posts

Back