Related to iron?

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Pre-op and even the year post-op I suffered RLS issues. So I took meds for it. I always thought it was a primary type.

After I had varicose vein surgery, the symptoms disappeared. Now they are back but I am wondering if it's iron saturation related not a relapse of the primary...I know there is RLS as a secondary symptom and iron saturation levels are one cause.

Not due for labs for another month. But I think I could get the iron saturation and ferritin pulled a bit early.

In Jan my ferritin was 50 with a range of 15-150. My iron saturation was 30%. Anything else I need to check before assuming it's primary RLS and back to bother me?

Hmm... I'm thinking, if you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find her... maybe you can holler for @MajorMom

OK, even if this one isn't up Gina's street, you gotta admit the quote was pretty funny... it made me smile at least!! :p [that was a reference to the A Team in case anyone missed it].

And on a serious note, I hope you manage to figure this one out @southernlady

Got my iron panel back just now (saw my PCP about the RLS yesterday)
Current (red) versus Jan 2014 (purple) and the lab range (black)
Ferritin 23.7 50 15-150
Iron 70 116 35-155
TransFerrin 289 275 150-375
TIBC 431 391 250-450
Sat 16% 30% 15-55%

No WONDER my RLS is back.

Gina @MajorMom any ideas? I take two proferrin a day already, I have since Jan and still had it drop like a rock. I told them that adding another one was doable...but also said that maybe it's time for a hematologist.

My ferritin at the 1 year mark was 118. Two year was 115. 3 year was 50, now it's 23.7.

And I am not only post menopausal, I had the uterus removed 20 years ago. So that is not a reason for the serious drop.

My Iron saturation has floated around 25-30% on all labs until yesterday.

Infusions. Several of 'em. Then maybe you'll be able to KEEP levels up with oral supplementation.
I now have a hematologist appt on the 8th of July. In the meantime, my PCP suggested a third proferrin. I went from one to two in Jan. I don't see it helping tho.

What I need to find is studies of any kind that show infusions are best for me even tho my ferritin is TECHNICALLY still normal.

Latest posts

Back