Lab question (especially iron)

Butterfly

Long time, no post! I got some labs done and I'm okay with most of it but especially confused about two things that maybe others have experienced?

For the last few times I've had my HgA1C done it's been under the 4.2% range. Not sure actually how low it is because the test either shows above that number or below that number. No idea why it's that low because my blood sugars are normal or just a tad higher than normal (like 105-115). Ideas?

Next up? Iron. Low iron saturation but high ferritin. Anything I should be taking to change that? I take DEKA bariatric vitamins and Ferrous Fumarate 324 Tablets (started taking these when I was still in school and broke and just kept taking them. I'm open to anything else now that I can afford it). Here's the link to that iron: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TLZTLA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm more than happy to post any of the other results I got, but they all were in the normal range or just the smallest bit above or below.

Thanks for any thoughts any of you might have. My primary care doctor is pretty clueless about this and I'm hours away from the bariatric doctor who did my surgery and would rather not drive hours to see him for this. I truly appreciate any response anyone is willing to give. Thanks!

Attachments

• iron.png
    iron.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 6
  • CBC.png
    CBC.png
    52 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the response.

I had poked around the internet to see if other switch patients had abnormally low A1C numbers but didn't have much luck finding it. With my RBCs in normal range it was a little perplexing to try to figure it out. It doesn't seem as if I'm unable to make erythrocytes, but maybe it's possible that I'm experiencing hemolysis. I'm assuming it's surgery related as I've never had this issue before. In the end I may need to go to a hematologist. I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced either of these issues.

You might want to try a free style libre... I think it will let you track your BG through the day and get a true average BG

You will need a prescription from your GP. I don't think they cost too much. I'm going to ask for one the next time I see mine

You might want to try a free style libre... I think it will let you track your BG through the day and get a true average BG
it
You will need a prescription from your GP. I don't think they cost too much. I'm going to ask for one the next time I see mine

I probably need to check it more than I do, but it generally stays between 80 and 115 which is fine. I'm not really concerned with diabetes but with why the A1C is so low. I'm wondering if it's indicative of something else that's wrong. If it is hemolysis, there may be a reason my red blood cells are being destroyed beyond the surgery or it could be just an iron issue where I need to take a couple of different kinds of iron.

I'm going to reach out to my doc today and ask her for a referral to a hematologist if she doesn't have any other ideas.

Thanks again :)

If you ever figure out why saturation is low and ferritin is high, let me know. I have similar l labs 5 months out... very low a1c too (4.8)

Latest posts

Back