Red Faced - And a $500 lighter wallet... (Oh, Niacin)

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
I travel to NYC frequently for work. Usually, I stay just for a couple of days, but I'm here all week this go. It's been a very stressful as the bigwigs are in town and I had a huge proposal to get through today. I've been preparing for this meeting for *months*.

Though I dread these sorts of events, last night I had to attend a cocktail party with same bigwigs at a very trendy, over-packed spot (Refinery rooftop). I had one glass of wine mainly to keep my hand busy as I haven't really explored my alcohol tolerance post surgery and didn't think this would be a great time to test the waters. I didn't have time to eat and have had some issues with fainting. At a certain point, I *knew* I was about to go down if I didn't find a seat and some sugar quickly. I dove through the crowds and found a bench seat, then gulped the wine hoping it would raise my blood sugar. I decided to stay seated until everyone else left.

Then, while I pretended to be very interested in my phone, one of the bigwigs came over, sat practically on top of me and acted so inappropriately that I wished I was back at my max weight. I couldn't get up as I felt like I was going to fall over and I didn't want to make a career-ending scene. I laughed off his outrageous advances instead of slapping him as I so desired do. Finally at 10:30 the party ended and I made a break for my hotel as the pig and other people who were set to receive my proposal continued on to another bar for more shots of Jameson. Drank a sprite and went to bed.

Flash forward 8:00am today in the boardroom. I made it through - approved! Hooray! (Or really hooray. because it somehow felt less of a victory knowing that the entire group was basically hung over and I was disappointed to have lost respect in one of them.) Sigh of relief, and all that. Done. Out at 11 am. Still hadn't eaten. (Stupid me!) I walked over to Pret a Manger and picked up a salad with chicken on top to go. Back in my hotel room, I grabbed a handful of vitamins and got started on my salad while typing away on my laptop. I was tired, hungry, stressed, and totally preoccupied.

All of a sudden, I felt hot. Insanely hot. My arms turned bright red. Tomato red - worse than the worst sunburn my pasty skin has ever experienced. I ran to the bathroom mirror and my face and chest were equally red. What the heck? I panicked, thinking it could be a bad allergic reaction or even a heart attack.

I don't have a doctor here. I called the concierge and they called one for me. He actually performs house calls and promised to be over in half an hour. I left the door to my room ajar and got on the phone with my mom - so she could call 911 if I stopped talking.

Diagnosis: Niacin flushing - a totally harmless effect. Turns out I took 3 Stress B-50 complex on a empty stomach.

Lessons: I need to slow down and pay attention. That means eating regularly even when travelling and dealing with work madness, and properly organizing and accounting for vitamins instead of throwing bottles in my suitcase. No longer wearing a fat shield means I have to be prepared to deal with unwanted advances.

Cost: $500 added to my hotel bill - hopefully insurance will reimburse some of this.

Current State: Red-faced, but blushing instead of flushing.

Glad to hear this was just an expensive lesson - and not something worse - and congrats on the successful presentation!

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is do get pill organizers and set up at least two weeks in advance (I do four), not just to avoid mistakes like this, but simply because if they are laid out, you're less inclined to skip doses. And doing them in advance gives you a better idea of whether it's time to reorder well before you run out. And if you travel a lot, it helps to not have to worry about grabbing more than your organizer. AND ALWAYS TAKE THE ORGANIZER IN YOUR CARRY ON!

Thanks! The successful presentation means my flights will be longer and suitcases heavier. I've landed a global role. It's a bit scary and a bit exciting all in one.

You're absolutely right on the pill organizer front! Getting that managed is first on my list of things to do when I get home tomorrow (after greeting Charles and the kids, of course!)

Thanks! The successful presentation means my flights will be longer and suitcases heavier. I've landed a global role. It's a bit scary and a bit exciting all in one.

You're absolutely right on the pill organizer front! Getting that managed is first on my list of things to do when I get home tomorrow (after greeting Charles and the kids, of course!)
Mazel tov!!

Congrats on the good stuff, but I'm sorry you had to go through the bad stuff. I HAVE TO be organized about my vitamins or I'd never get them all in. I still forget probably 1 or 2 batches a week, but when I was traveling a couple weeks ago I made sure to be super OCD about packing my pill organizer and mini ziplock bags labeled for each dose to toss in my bag and I didn't forget one batch.

Also, go to Trader Joe's and grab a bunch of stuff to keep on hand in your hotel room. If I'm not prepared, I will eat crap or fall behind of protein and TJs always has lots of easy to grab/store protein options that don't require a bunch of prep and also don't break the bank.

I was going to ask, why are you taking 3 B complex at once, then I saw it was by mistake. Glad you were okay. Congratulations on the new position.

Congratulations on the new position!! Exciting :) (and scary...)

Traveling is when I have the hardest time staying on my schedule. I'm not good without a routine. Good luck in figuring out something that works for you.

Sorry about your hassles with your colleague - I'm glad you did well despite him.

Thanks for the warning re niacin even though I don't plan on overdosing, it's good to know just in case. :)

Thanks to all for the positive thoughts. Please do keep niacin in mind if you ever become a human cinnamon red hot - I had absolutely no idea that was even a possibility!

So, if you had the choice between spending a month in either London or Hong Kong this summer, which location would you choose? From a work perspective, London is where all of the decision makers are and Hong Kong is where all of the action is, so both would be good places to kick-off the project. I want to pick one location versus shuttling between the two because I want to bring Charles and the kids and want to limit our overall time away from home. I'll visit the other location on my own for a week or two later.

P.S. I know Dr. Patel is in London if something goes wrong. Does anyone know of a Hong Kong DS surgeon?

P.P.S. Here is the link to the doctor who does NYC house calls, albeit at quite a price, in case someone else is visiting and needs urgent assistance: http://travelmd.com/site1/ He was surprisingly well versed in vitamins and nutrition.

Thanks to all for the positive thoughts. Please do keep niacin in mind if you ever become a human cinnamon red hot - I had absolutely no idea that was even a possibility!
I get an allergic reaction to alcohol (any and all types) that is similar to the niacin flush. Face turns beet red down to my chest, it feels all hot and swollen. By not ingesting alcohol since 1999, I have managed to avoid this issue.

Latest posts

Back